Lactose free

Options
So does lactose free milk still count as dairy?
I'm deciding if I should cut dairy from my diet 100% or not.

What are the pros and cons of it? At the moment I've gone 46ish days give or take without soda and dairy. So I was wondering if I should put dairy back in my diet. But if I do it'll be lactose free as I'm lactose intolerant.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts, everything that has calories does. I consume goat milk. Leaving dairy or anything out of any diet is subjective. If you don't miss it, then fine. Personally I could never give up butter, cheese, yogurt or most things dairy related.
  • jclheidbrink
    Options
    Well, I'm not lactose-intolerant but I only drink soy milk :) It doesn't count as dairy, but gives you a hefty amount of protein which is something I'm trying to get enough of. But as for the taste, it doesn't work for everyone.

Choose well! :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lactose free milk certainly is dairy! It has lactase added to predigest the lactose to glucose and galactose, for those who can't do it themselves. Else it is exactly the same as all other milk.
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've cut dairy out of my diet for a while. I was thinking of going back on it. Almond milk isn't that great :/ nor coconut milk.... or soy milk.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't consume any dairy and haven't for several months. Milk has not been a beverage for me for over 20 years. Everyone is different and you could experiment with different choices to see what works for your body and goals.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm mildy lactose intolerant and have pretty much cut out all dairy.

I eat cheese every now and then, and eat greek yogurt. I mix my protein powder with soy milk because if I mix it with cow's milk, then I get sick.

It's really a personal choice.. and how sick you get when you consume diary. I personally can have about 8 oz of dairy before I get sick.. anything more and I'm really full and bloated.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    looked this up....here's other ways to get calcium

Collard greens
    Fortified soymilk
    Black-eyed peas
    Firm tofu (made with calcium sulfate)
    Calcium-fortified orange juice
    Blackstrap molasses
    Baked beans
    Kale
    Chinese cabbage
    Oranges
    Almonds

or you could always take a vitamin. Good luck!