How do you organize your recipes?

Options
ElizabethRoad
ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
I have so many recipes in different places - bookmarked websites, text files, handwritten... I need a way to get them all organized. What works best for you? Do you print them out and keep them in a folder, or keep them all in text files, or do you have special recipe software? Please share!

Replies

• bluangelz
    bluangelz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I copy and paste all the recipes I find from different websites onto notepad. I then save as (title of recipe) then I save to a folder titled Recipes into my documents. My documents automatically puts in in alphabetical order. They are all in one place for when I need to find something I want to make and don't have to search several places. :smile:
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have so many recipes in different places - bookmarked websites, text files, handwritten... I need a way to get them all organized. What works best for you? Do you print them out and keep them in a folder, or keep them all in text files, or do you have special recipe software? Please share!

I copy and past into a word document and then transfer to my recipe website. :) Try this website, it's free and easy to do.
    http://www.weebly.com
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    I print them and put them in a 3" 3 ring binder with tabs for sections. I also recently went through and put them in page protectors. I have a 3 ring binder 3 hole punch that hooks onto the rings. I guess I don't really need it now since I have page protectors.

Sometimes I print multiple copies so I can give them away quickly or throw them away if they get yucky.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I print them and put them in a 3" 3 ring binder with tabs for sections. I also recently went through and put them in page protectors. I have a 3 ring binder 3 hole punch that hooks onto the rings. I guess I don't really need it now since I have page protectors.

Sometimes I print multiple copies so I can give them away quickly or throw them away if they get yucky.

I do that too! I put recipes in there I want to try and then if I like them I put them in my binder. It's small right now but it is growing :-).
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I do that too! I put recipes in there I want to try and then if I like them I put them in my binder. It's small right now but it is growing :-).

What i have troupble with is what catagories my tabs should be I am always getting suck on where certain things should be or what subjects to use.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Hm, how about we all join in on one GIANT google document with recipes to share? Everyone can see, join in to edit and add to. That could be fun!

In real life, we hand-write the recipes off of the internet on notes, and if they're repeat offenders we tape them to the inside of the cabinet door. Instant recipe while cooking.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All of my favorites are printed and in the recipe drawer, except for those in recipe books which are on the book shelf. Recipes I've found on the internet and haven't yet tried are in a folder on my computer. If I try them and like them I'll print them and put them in the drawer. I've worked in IT too many years to leave a favorite recipe at the mercy of a hard drive.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I keep them where they are and save a copy in either word or PDF format to a hard drive only for my recipes.
    It is easier for me to organize them in files electronically.
    When I want to use them, I can go to where I have them already or just connect my hard drive. I like options.
  • earlgreygirl09
    Options
    My recipes are kind of all over the place--the ones that look good online, I've bookmarked. The ones from magazines and ones that people have given me, go into a huge file box with tabs.......and lastly, those recipes which are awesomely amazing, go down in handwritten form in my 'winners' book. Not to mention my cookbook collection............sometimes when it comes to meal planning, I wonder where to begin! ha.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    My recipes are kind of all over the place--the ones that look good online, I've bookmarked. The ones from magazines and ones that people have given me, go into a huge file box with tabs.......and lastly, those recipes which are awesomely amazing, go down in handwritten form in my 'winners' book. Not to mention my cookbook collection............sometimes when it comes to meal planning, I wonder where to begin! ha.
    I had to reload my computer a few months ago. I made sure I had everything backed up, but then after it was too late I realized I forgot to save my bookmarks. I had quite a few recipes bookmarked. :/
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I recently downloaded an app called Chef Tap which converts online recipes into a format that's easy to read on a smartphone. It saves all the recipes and you can tag them with whatever you'd like for organizational purposes. I'm liking it a lot, although I wish there was a way to add recipes remotely through an online server. Right now it has to all be done from the phone, but it's a fairly new app so I'm hoping they'll add that functionality later.
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I keep two binders: one that is well organized with tabs and contains all the recipes that I used to print off. The second binder, a little thinner, contains my "tried and true", recipes that I love.

I also use Pinterest now for anything I find on the web. I absolutely love the site because it will store the photo of the recipe, then you click on it and the photo will take you to the website. You have to "apply" to become a member but usually you get "approved" in a couple hours. Here's my link to my food board I created:
    http://pinterest.com/theemstress/a-feeding-frenzy/
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I "pin" the recipes I find online with Pinterest. If we try it and like it, I then print it out and add it to my recipe binder. I have a huge 3-ring binder with tabbed dividers (main, Crock-Pot, sides, dessert, etc.) and the clear plastic sleeve inserts. I then put our "keeper" recipes in the sleeves and it's like my own cookbook full of recipes we love and will always be a crowd-pleaser. My fiancee and his step-daughter love going through the "cookbook" to pick meals.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You have to "apply" to become a member but usually you get "approved" in a couple hours.

It's a lot more than a few hours nowadays. I requested an invite a couple weeks ago and I'm still waiting. I'm sure it's worth the wait though.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I use a note program, specifically Evernote.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I love Evernote. I have considered using that for my recipes because it's something I can access from my phone, home computer, or work computer. Any tips on how to use it more effectively for recipes?
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    By category eg. chicken, steak, casserole, pasta, salad and then alphabetically. I print them then glue them into a book.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love Evernote. I have considered using that for my recipes because it's something I can access from my phone, home computer, or work computer. Any tips on how to use it more effectively for recipes?

I have the paid version, so I am not sure what I have access to that the free version won't…but what I do is have a stack called “recipes.” Under the main stack/heading, I have subfolders, if you will, called appetizers, main dish, desserts, etc. On top of that, I use the “tag” feature to tag recipes by ingredient (e.g. chicken) or by cuisine type (e.g. Italian).
  • StoneColdLiger
    StoneColdLiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe template that I copy & paste recipes into. Then I save the files into a folder on my computer. I plan on buying a binder and some pages to put my favorites into. I just haven't gotten around to that part.