The weekends with family

Options
Food is so abundant on the weekends, especially with big families like ours. I have tried to keep our limits under but I know it's next to impossible. We try to eat before we go over to their houses and politely say, "no thank!"! But still the extras come out. We have been encouraging all of them to eat healthier also but sometimes when they come over we are guilty of offering up cookies and such because we know they like them. :drinker:

We need to do better but not sure what we're all going to do. I know for certain that we can't continue with the gathering meals like we've had during the weekends. We do so well during the week that it's disappointing to face monday feeling like we just messed up. Any ideas or encouragement on how to deal with friends and family--we don't want to be on a diet or have them feel like they are on a diet, we just want to be healthy!!!:smile:

Replies

• alimac1972
    Options
    Food is so abundant on the weekends, especially with big families like ours. I have tried to keep our limits under but I know it's next to impossible. We try to eat before we go over to their houses and politely say, "no thank!"! But still the extras come out. We have been encouraging all of them to eat healthier also but sometimes when they come over we are guilty of offering up cookies and such because we know they like them. :drinker:

We need to do better but not sure what we're all going to do. I know for certain that we can't continue with the gathering meals like we've had during the weekends. We do so well during the week that it's disappointing to face monday feeling like we just messed up. Any ideas or encouragement on how to deal with friends and family--we don't want to be on a diet or have them feel like they are on a diet, we just want to be healthy!!!:smile:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Family get togethers are hard. My in laws (who live close) thankfully are very healthy eaters so usually things are okay but before they made that lifestyle change it was very hard. I would do what you do, eat before...but then I would end up eating again b/c the stuff was so good and tempting. Will power is so HARD!!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Will Power?? I hate that saying.

I do great 6-8 months out of the year and then the holidays get me. Not really eating a lot of sweets, but a overage of heavy, starchy foods.

Welcome to the south, come on in and eat all day.....
    That's what I used to be anyway////
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

I do great 6-8 months out of the year and then the holidays get me. Not really eating a lot of sweets, but a overage of heavy, starchy foods.

We do like our food down here in the South don't we????:laugh:
  • alimac1972
    Options
    My mom is always combining things to make top secret mexican dishes! I don't even know what to add when I pick up my fork!

I have decided to stay away from it as much as possible, mexican food can be so fattening!:tongue:
    Going to her house takes all the will power that we have!!!
  • Drkrimage2
    Options
    ROFLMAO, hispanic and italians in the family, oh got to love Paula Dean. look at it this way eat it just cut back on the amount taken. That is the Key.

But definately enjoy.

Lonnie. Denver, Colo
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Try looking up some cool NEW lower calorie things to treat your family to when they come to visit. We discovered that we love wraps, quite by accident. Add in a few of the old favorites: whole grain crackers, veggies, low cal dips, etc. And take something with you when you go to visit, include the recipe so if they like it, they can make it for you again. Who says dessert has to be overloaded with fats and calories. I take a tall sundae glass, add some sliced fruit, low cal whipped topping, more fruit, more topping, then drizzled with my own homemade syrup. I set out a "smoothie" bar for all the kids: fruit, yogurt, skim milk, ice, they can whip up any flavor they want. And I found a flourless chocolate torte recipe that claims to be only 110 calories a slice.....hmmmmm.

I've tried the whole, eat before you go thing too, and also end up eating twice. Better for me to have a snack, take a dish, then have one tablespoon of everything everyone else brought. Not to mention, exercise little extra before I go, and then enjoy the companionship.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options

We do like our food down here in the South don't we????:laugh:
    We sure do! My boss is the common "come on in a get a bite to eat" kinda person and she cannot stand that i bring my own food :laugh: She always says "Surely there is SOMETHING you can eat here" lol
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been actually finding it easier and easier to not indulge on these days. I think it stems from me wanting to prove to everyone that I can and I will do this. I try to find healthy choices almost everywhere (there is a time or two when it doesn't happen and I end up a little over my calories. Make sure you survey all the food available to you. Be conscious about what you put in your body and the amount. If you know there will be only bad food ask if you can bring a salad then fill up on that and then eat a smaller portion. Good luck
  • alimac1972
    Options
    Thanks for it all! I feel better and I'm learning to try to find control. I'm trying to realize that I'm not weak to it all, I can control it. I will definitely look over all my choices and take what I think would have the least amount of calories. I'm not totally into excercise everyday yet either, and I'm learning quickly that it's so important.