Snack ideas low on sugar

Options
I am trying to get my sugar consumption lower because its too high. I need some snacks other than fruit and veggies that are low in sugar. Also does anyone have any ideas on beating sugar cravings, I have tried painting my nails, going on a walk etc. Typically it helps for me to sip something over a period of time such as coffee but I like alot of milk in mine and by the time I am done...3 cups later I have had enough calories to have had a real snack. What do you do to beat cravings? How often do you have a treat? I have a treat every day and I would like that to go down.

Replies

• Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I brush my teeth to stop cravings. It really works lol also if i just cant beat it i suck on a mint. some of them have really low sugar and very low cal.

I treat myself every other day

Good luck
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes and almond butter. Almonds too!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Have your treat everyday! It's not going to hinder your weight loss if stay within your calorie range.
  • city_of_frogs
    city_of_frogs Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    CHEESE!!!
    little to no sugar... lots of protein and fats :)
    and fats make you HAPPY!!! :P
  • Galletakek
    Options
    6048513574_5566fbcc3b_z1.jpg

:D
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nuts and Yogurt
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, too, and I just had to go cold turkey, give up sugar entirely. I eat nothing that contains sugar or corn syrup, and I only allow myself to eat a little fruit every once in a while. For me, that has helped with cravings. It was like going through withdrawal: I craved sugar & carbs so much, for a week, but since then only occasionally.

For treats, to feed my sweet tooth, I have a chocolate-flavored or fruit-flavored protein drink. If you like to sip on something, that might be a good choice for you. Or I'll mix a little Crystal Light into some plain Greek yogurt. Or I'll make myself a flaxseed muffin (look up Atkins muffin-in-a-minute recipes) flavored with cinnamon & Splenda, maybe with some sugar-free jam, there are lots of variations you can do with that.

Other low-sugar, low-carb snacks I enjoy: hard-boiled eggs, cheese wedges, pork rinds, beef jerky, peanuts or almonds. Look for high-protein snacks, because protein digests & burns slowly, so it will stay with you longer & you won't get hungry again so quickly. It's a lot easier to fight those carb cravings if your belly is already full. :smile:

Good luck to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Crazy high in sodium and does nothing for a sweets craving but I love snacking on beef jerky.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oatcake with a very thin spread of hommous with freshly ground pepper helps me out- in fact....munch:happy: :laugh:
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention I am a vegan so I can't be snacking on pork rinds and beef jerky lol :) bit,one day soon I,totally want to,go cold turkey and get completely off sweets to where its only a once in a while thing. Its so hard though because my family buys cookies and cakes and brownies and all this sweet stuff. Grrr
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Jolly Rancher Suckers!!! 1) They take a long time to eat and 2) If you're doing WW they are 2 points!
  • Olandia64
    Options
    almonds. string cheese or cheese sticks are good snacks. if you use alcohol free mouth wash, it might help stop your cravings. desensitizes the taste buds.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    one day soon I,totally want to,go cold turkey and get completely off sweets to where its only a once in a while thing.
    That's what I did, and I don't have cravings anymore. Now when I want sweets I can have them, but I never find myself thinking I really have to have it.
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    K4evans, thats a great idea! I like sipping coffee because it keeps me occupied and takes a while to drink and suckers will do the same thing. I'm totally going to buy some tomorrow. Thanks!