building core strength for people with bad backs?

Options
Hey,
so i'm 20 years old and have already been diagnosed with degenerate disc disease and a herniated disc...

I was just wondering if anyone knew some good exercises for slowly building up core muscles without hurting my back?

Replies

• janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would see if I could get a referral to a physical therapist.
  • cycle_queen
    cycle_queen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just finished recovering from a lower back injury. I think that the hardest part was giving my back 10 months to heal. I`m now able to lift the same weights that I was able to lift before the injury. I found that simple core exercises helped the best. Nothing too fancy. Also, proper posture and being aware of tucking in your tummy really helps even more.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would see if I could get a referral to a physical therapist.

great idea!
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same problem for about 20 years. Really just stay away from typical crunches would be the only thing, but do a lot of the other common core workouts, just slowly get into them and as your core gets stronger over time your back will get better and you'll be able to put more into the core workouts. But, what I like to do is hang from a pullup bar, then lift my knees as high as I can. Do reps of that, then also alternate to the left and the right. Also, I can't emphasize enough how important stretching is. Cat stretch, child pose, stuff like that. Also, core includes exercises specific to the low back. Roman chair, superman, all good stuff that will help over time. Just EASE into it and you'll be fine.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At the clinic I worked at there was a 27 year old with your same issues. Physical therapy isn't going to be able to help that much, in fact, this girl's surgeon told her to skip PT all together. The doctor I work with told her to leg lifts while lying down instead of the usual crunch to help. Good luck.
  • Mydeneice
    Options
    :happy: I have a very similar back problem and my chiropractor recommended swimming. Water Aerobics is very fun and burns a lot of calories. I have also enjoyed just swimming laps.
  • Kalsifer
    Options
    Back when I was a kid and was injured skateboarding, they thought I damaged my back, the exercises they told me to do were leg lifts and reverse crunches while laying on the ground, both of which are pretty easy on your back but build your core pretty well.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • AmbiguousUserName
    Options
    YOGA! There are programs designed specifically for people with bad backs, but general yoga is great for your core with minimal strain on the joints/spine. I highly recommend it!
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    There is a lot on this topic on the Livestrong site.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/102415-yoga-exercises-someone-bad-back/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have steel rods in my spine, a bulging disc in the un-fused part and degenerative disc disease in the un-fused part. I've been told to stay FAR away from all types of crunches/sit ups (these are truly impossible for me to do!) and things like that. I was told that cardio will burn the fat, but that things like Tae Bo and other workouts will work my core the best. It is tough to do core focusing workouts with back issues. I do, occasionally, use the ab machine at the gym and I can definitely feel it in my core - but it also tends to make my back hurt.

BTW, my surgeon told me PT won't do anything for me, unfortunately.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    plank, swimming (lots of swimming) pilates and yoga are what i do. i had a disc taken out in 2006.