Low burn vs high burn

Options
My mind tells me that every workout I do is worth it no matter how big or small. Today I only burned 200 and some change calories with a walk outside (it's beautiful in AZ today) and I'm used to burning like 800 plus with my DVD's. I feel BAD for such a low burn. WTH is wrong with me???? A workout is a workout and good for the body, so why don't I feel good about it? I felt good when I was out there walking/running......IDK.....sorry for my vent. Any ideas or inspirations would be appreciated! TIA!

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if you work past a certain tiredness, you end up in super burn mode so you burn pure fat then. so the longer the better but if not possible, do what you can, when you can. ive exercised after dinner, wayy late like at 11pm plenty of times!!
  • hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    I know how you feel!!! If I don't go to the gym I feel guilty about my workout. But you are right-a workout is a workout!!! I am hoping as time goes on I will get that through my head. Good luck!!! And good job!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes our bodies need a low burn kind of workout. It gives it a little shake up. Don't worry about it. Don't feel guilty about it. :) A 200 burn is better than a 0 burn. :)
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone...just another reminder why i love and NEED this site! :)
  • Jacole18
    Options
    I think you're right....like zig zagging calories, but with exercise! lol
    I think sometimes our bodies need a low burn kind of workout. It gives it a little shake up. Don't worry about it. Don't feel guilty about it. :) A 200 burn is better than a 0 burn. :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I believe in mixing things up - and 200 calories meant you still got your behind off the couch - which is the important thing .....
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I believe in not treating exercise like ritual penance.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i spent 40 years not exercising EVER so even burning a small 200 calories is WAYYYYY better than what i used to do, which was nothing. pat yourself on the back for not sitting around on a gorgeous day, and tomorrow you can burn more. :smile:
  • ciorsdahmac
    Options
    I have the same mental block. I constantly want a high burn and beat myself up about days when I have a low one but you guys are all right, ANY burn is better than 0 burn! Plus a workout I'd a work out :-)
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling sometimes too and I don't even eat my exercise calories so in the long run, I'm banking anything and everything I burn, so a burn is a burn ... but you know what? I nice walk outside when it is beautiful out is sometimes more beneficial to your overall wellbeing, mind and body, than a Jillian Michael's DVD in the living room. :wink:

And now I want to go out for a walk ... so thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • trilvr
    trilvr Posts: 22
    Options
    Its defintely good to mix it up, even if you feel like your not working as hard ...it will pay off in the long run..no pun intended lol
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you doubt, go check out the "100 lbs. gone in 9 1/2 months with pics this time" thread in the Success Stories forum. Keeponkickin says, several times, that her secret to success is eating healthy and working out hard, but changing it up; zig-zagging food especially, but also workouts, to kick herself out of a plateau.

And really.... if you enjoyed your walk on a lovely day, that's wonderful for your mental health, all by itself. Nothing wrong with that. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    if you work past a certain tiredness, you end up in super burn mode so you burn pure fat then. so the longer the better but if not possible, do what you can, when you can. ive exercised after dinner, wayy late like at 11pm plenty of times!!
    Well that's not entirely true. If you're tired you could be lacking glycogen. If that's the case and IF the workout is intense, your body actually breaks down muscle into amino acids for the energy you need to train intense.
    You normally burn fat at REST or on low to very moderate long duration cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alyssadiane
    Options
    You are putting in the effort and thats what matters you cant be perfect all the time! What matters is your burned some calories and that counts for something...you are being active and on your way to fitness and heck you already lost 26 lbs that is a huge accomplishment and probably a pants size or two congrats on that! Dont be to hard on yourself you are doing just fine!
  • Jacole18
    Options
    no, thank you! i'm glad this post helped you decide to exercise! :)
    I get that feeling sometimes too and I don't even eat my exercise calories so in the long run, I'm banking anything and everything I burn, so a burn is a burn ... but you know what? I nice walk outside when it is beautiful out is sometimes more beneficial to your overall wellbeing, mind and body, than a Jillian Michael's DVD in the living room. :wink:

And now I want to go out for a walk ... so thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Jacole18
    Options
    thanks girl....:)
    You are putting in the effort and thats what matters you cant be perfect all the time! What matters is your burned some calories and that counts for something...you are being active and on your way to fitness and heck you already lost 26 lbs that is a huge accomplishment and probably a pants size or two congrats on that! Dont be to hard on yourself you are doing just fine!