question on HCG?

Options
At my walmart they just started selling HCG drops or tablets to help with weight loss. Has anyone taken this product? I just want to get a a jumpstart to lose 5-10 lbs for motivation. I'm tracking my calories and eathing healthy, but I have trouble at night with snacking since I work second shift. I hoping HCG might help with this. Any thoughts out there? Thanks, Darlene

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not recommend this.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    no no no no no no no.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    HCG is not going to help with snacking...only self control can help with that. HCG was never intended to be used without the supervision of a doctor, and the drops you buy at WalMart are not real HCG, they are "homeopathic" and there is no regulation on the contents in that little bottle. If you need help with snacking, try brushing your teeth or chewing a piece of gum, that always helps me when I feel that urge.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    The HCG hormone that has actually "worked" on the people in the research studies is NOT going to be the same HCG available at Wal-Mart (I mean, come on.)....the real thing is much more potent and needs to be injected to have any benefit whatsoever. You will get a generic/cheap/"watered down" version that will NOT help you. Plus you only get to eat 500 calories a day on the diet and that will lead you to extreme hunger and set you up for binge eating....which is exactly what you don not want. There are no quick fixes....it's painful to hear, I know. Slow and steady wins the race. :flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    At my walmart they just started selling HCG drops or tablets to help with weight loss. Has anyone taken this product? I just want to get a a jumpstart to lose 5-10 lbs for motivation. I'm tracking my calories and eathing healthy, but I have trouble at night with snacking since I work second shift. I hoping HCG might help with this. Any thoughts out there? Thanks, Darlene

Honestly, if I were you, I would just keep doing what you're doing--track calories and eat healthy. Plan snacks into your routine, around your work schedule. Eat foods high in fiber and protein, they will fill you up. Drink lots of water. Get some exercise when you can. Good luck!

I would stay far, far away from any product that recommends eating only 500 calories per day. And...do you actually know what is in the drops? (I'm not entirely sure, I'm not trying to be sarcastic)

I have not done extensive research on HCG as it does not interest me, but you may want to look up information on it on medical sites. WebMD seems to have good information on it, as does the Mayo Clinic's website:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss?page=2
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options
    no no no no no no no.
    & one more "no" for good measure :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've found that works with me for night snacking is either drinking water or going for a walk... It's All about self control. You should not be taking HCG, especially without a doctor...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    HCG doesn't work... whether it's sold in Walmart or elsewhere. There aren't any CREDIBLE studies to support that it does anything, though you'll get plenty of people to argue that it does.

You're taking a hormone into your body, but its in fairly low concentrations, which is probably a good thing, because at high concentrations it's tells your ovaries and pituitary that you're pregnant.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Read testimonials under the Success Stories of these forums- and you'll see the am't of people on here that will tell you time and time again...

Steer clear of "quick fixes" and gimmicks that promote fast results...

Un-learning unhealthy habits
    and re-training yourself to learn BETTER ones, wiser ones

taking it slow and steady....will do you FAR better than a pill, drop or pre-packaged foods.

Best wishes to you as you continue on this journey.
    May you find good supportive friends to encourage you along the way!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    HCG doesn't work... whether it's sold in Walmart or elsewhere. There aren't any CREDIBLE studies to support that it does anything, though you'll get plenty of people to argue that it does.

You're taking a hormone into your body, but its in fairly low concentrations, which is probably a good thing, because at high concentrations it's tells your ovaries and pituitary that you're pregnant.

This. Exactly.

We know like 1% of all there is to know about our endocrine (hormonal) system. Messing with hormones? Not good. hCG is pretty crucial in pregnancy and menstruation, but also is responsible for increased cell growth. The FDA released an article stating that hCG is a peptide hormone that will not survive the digestion process - it is broken down by the stomach and is therefore not effective at all. The only thing that works in the hCG diet is the extremely low calories. The problem is that the calories are TOO low.

I have a low opinion of this diet. I feel that it is basically the same as purposeful (not mentally driven) anorexia or bulimia. We all know that neither of those are healthy, and when it comes down to it minimizing your calorie count to 500 and starving yourself is an eating disorder.

Please avoid it. There are better routes to take.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I should of known that something like this was just another diet scam. I've never had a weight problem until I reached my fifities and boy does the body change. I appreciate the advice and encouragement as this helps to motivate me.
    I just wish it wasn't so hard to do.
  • bbkohn
    bbkohn Posts: 29
    Options
    I did HCG about a year ago. I bought it from GNC and I lost 20lbs on it. It was hard sometimes to stay on track but I often wasnt extremely hungry, or bingeing out of my mind. I was perfectly fine. The issue came in when i was finished and I didnt know how to live normally without the pills. the way HCG works, you're meant to lose a pound a day. When i started eating more foods (all pretty much healthy) and I'd weigh myself i'd get discouraged by only losing one lb in a week. HCG messed with my head and body image as i was unable to accept the fact that I lost the weight that I did and because it happened so quickly, It took my mind a long time to adjust to the new me.
    To all those who are extremely against it out there, It DOES work, I'm not saying that it's the healthiest way of losing weight, but it did work
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I did HCG about a year ago. I bought it from GNC and I lost 20lbs on it. It was hard sometimes to stay on track but I often wasnt extremely hungry, or bingeing out of my mind. I was perfectly fine. The issue came in when i was finished and I didnt know how to live normally without the pills. the way HCG works, you're meant to lose a pound a day. When i started eating more foods (all pretty much healthy) and I'd weigh myself i'd get discouraged by only losing one lb in a week. HCG messed with my head and body image as i was unable to accept the fact that I lost the weight that I did and because it happened so quickly, It took my mind a long time to adjust to the new me.
    To all those who are extremely against it out there, It DOES work, I'm not saying that it's the healthiest way of losing weight, but it did work

It "worked" because you ate 500 calories a day.