salad

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
Ok I love my salads but have been trying to lower my sodium intake. Dressing is loaded with it so do you make yours, use something else, its just not the same with out dressing.

Replies

• maryloo2011
    Options
    olive oil with herbs/spices
  • rochey1098
    Options
    I know it's not amazing but I have cottage cheese... It's full of lovely protein and people say it's good for you :smile:

As a side note you do need to specifically buy the no added salt variety
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar. I think its low in sodium.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    vinaigrette is low sodium. Homemade that is. Try allrecipes.com for homemade. Normally though, I just mix the following together in a jar and store in the fridge!

Balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup (or less)
    Olive oil 3/4 cup
    Mustard (small amount though, to keep the sodium down)
    herbs (basil, oregano)
    crushed garlic
    a touch of sugar or honey to break the tart vinegar

I find it really yummy

Or homemade Cesar

Olive oil
    1 raw egg (some people omit this, I like it)
    crushed garlic (A LOT)
    parmesan cheese (as you like)
    lemon juice
    worshester sauce (sp?) - just a touch

use the same jar method, shake before serving because the cheese and garlic tend to sink to the bottom.

Low calorie can be maintained by using lighter oils, egg white only, and less cheese.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I use half a can of tuna in water with some lemon pepper on my salad.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try mixing up some nice olive oil with some champagne vinegar and a little bit of Dijon mustard....it is great and a little goes a long way.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Olive Oil & Vingar is pretty good too.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    My favorite dressing is catalina, and I'll add a Tbsp of lemon juice to it to make it thinner- then toss it in really well- or spin it in the salad spinner. Then I'm not drenching the salad with extra dressing/calories/sodium.
    Mixing it well has been a real help.
    I'll sit and watch my hubby (who isn't on any *restrictions*) take the salad dressing and pour about 1/2 CUP on his- UGH....
    I have the same am't of salad (3-4 cups) and I can be satisfied w/ 2 TBSP.

make your own italian dressing- vinegar, oil and herbs- just don't use garlic/onion SALT, use the powder(s)

and if you need salt flavor, I suggest using a salt substitute ( such as No Salt )

Also, I've learned that many products that are lower fat are higher in salt/sugar.
    Sometimes I can *afford* more calories better than pay for it dearly with the salt/sugar.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My favorite is low fat mayo...I add skim milk to thin it down. Sometimes I will add salsa to it. I like a wet salad and the cals are very low with this.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    ps. If you like your cesar dressing more creamy add some low cal mayo to it. A tablespoon of it added to the entire jar of dressing make a difference. I like it not creamy, so I don't add any.

Another idea for salad - I sometimes make tuna salad (can of tuna + 2 tblsp low cal mayo or plain yogurt + 1 or 2 tblsp of relish.)
    I divide that mixture in half (refridgerate the other half for later use) and I mix it with a cup of finely chopped lettuce. Protein and flavor for under 250 cals I figure (depending on if you use mayo or yogurt or half/half). xo
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You could use salsa or cottage cheese.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You could use salsa or cottage cheese.

Although these are good low-calorie options, these are both notoriously high in sodium.
  • JulieSchreier
    Options
    In Australia we have Heart Tick (Heart Foundation) they have to be below a certain amount of salt and fat to get it. I also like to make my own balsamic or vinegar with grainy mustard or garlic. Lots of things you can add to make it a little more interesting.
  • pinkminy
    pinkminy Posts: 286
    Options
    LOW SODIUM ITALIAN DRESING

Mix the following together , place in clean jar shake well store in the refridgerater
    Ingredients
    ■1 tablespoon dried parsley leaves, crushed
    ■1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
    ■1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
    ■1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
    ■1/2 teaspoon ground celery seeds
    ■1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    ■1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    ■1/8 teaspoon salt
    ■1 pinch black pepper
    ■1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    ■1/2 cup vegetable oil