Losing Weight on 2,000 calories?

Options
I've seen some people mention they lose weight on 2,000 calories and I'm curious as to how you do it? Do you have a crazy exercise schedule to lose weight on this amount or does it still work for you with a moderate amount of activity?

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    These would be people who are very overweight. It is possible, but you'd need a high BMR.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people mention they lose weight on 2,000 calories and I'm curious as to how you do it? Do you have a crazy exercise schedule to lose weight on this amount or does it still work for you with a moderate amount of activity?

If I am eating my exercise calories, and I am burning a ton, I can eat up to 2000 in a day, but I better be lifting, and spending a good amount of time on the elliptical.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    It's all about their TDEE.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    G'day

reply to this topic here! :)

no need to start a new one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I don't work out that much, and I average 2,100 calories total a day (about 1,800 net). I could go lower, but I prefer having a reasonable amount of food to losing all the weight at once.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym and eat my exercise calories I eat a total of about 2000 calories. But my daily goal is only around 1500.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My BMI is high. I need 3000 to maintain.... so losing weight is easy for me. Losing fat is hard
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different BMR. Your height / weight / age all play into that figure. Someone who is 5'5" 120 is going to burn much less throughout the day than someone who is 6"4" 220lbs.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It depends on your activity level. I can easily lose weight consuming 2200 calories. I am not overweight (I currently weigh 145lbs). As a matter a fact, after the holiday season I plan to go back into weight loss mode and will be dropping down around 2100-2200 NET calories a day to see how the weight loss goes. Last time I did it, I lost 5lbs in a week. As of right now, I'm maintaining my weight consuming between 2300-2500 net calories a day.

I work in a job where I am on my feet 4 days a week (3/9 hour days and 1/6 hour day). I am in constant motion when I am working. While I do not consider my job a form of exercise since my body is used to doing it - it DOES burn a ton of calories. I also try and go to the gym 1-3 times a week for 60 mins each time.

Yes, it IS possible to be on the smaller side (I'm 5'4 and 145lbs) and consume a large amount of calories and lose or maintain your weight.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    These would be people who are very overweight. It is possible, but you'd need a high BMR.

Nope. Not true. Not everyone who consumes 2000+ calories a day and loses (or maintains their ) weight is very overweight. It isn't just about your BMR. It is about your TDEE. Your BMR multiplied by your activity level gives you your TDEE - this is what determines it. If I worked a desk job, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to consume 2000+ calories a day. My BMR would be exactly the same as it is now - but my TDEE would be different.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    You don't have to be very overweight to eat 2000 calories to lose weight - I am within 10 pounds of my goal weight and I stalled. I saw a group "Woman that eat 2,000 calories" and read a bunch of the posts and decided to give it a try,

I bumped my calories to 1750 and eat most of my exercise calories - My average is about 1700 NET (some days over/some under). I literally eat all day long and it's real food plus any treats I may want - There is nothing I'm willing to give up (love my kettle chips). I calculated my numbers with the TDEE and BMR and split the difference. It's worked for me - I have been losing steadily since I upped them.

I work out 5 days a week - 3 really hard (90 mins) and 2 would be a quick 30 run.

I'm 42 yr old female, 5'8" - currently 144 lbs 22%BF, current goal is 135- 140 or whatever will get me to 20% BF

Your body will adapt very quickly, so just give it what it wants - FUEL!!

Hope that helps.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am a big supporter of 2k a day! I have had a huge break but I could burn 700cals before and net 500cals and I felt like poo all the time. I was becoming a terrible mother because I just couldn't concentrate. I upped the cals and I could concentrate because I had so much more energy! I have lost a fair bit of cms but not so much weight but considering I AM in a healthy weight range it's to be expected I wouldn't loose much weight.
  • Dexy_
    Options

Nope. Not true. Not everyone who consumes 2000+ calories a day and loses (or maintains their ) weight is very overweight. It isn't just about your BMR. It is about your TDEE. Your BMR multiplied by your activity level gives you your TDEE - this is what determines it. If I worked a desk job, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to consume 2000+ calories a day. My BMR would be exactly the same as it is now - but my TDEE would be different.

I was assuming the OP meant peoples goal is net 2000 a day. If you are eating exercise cals you can eat as many as you like if you earned them through exercise!
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I was assuming the OP meant peoples goal is net 2000 a day. If you are eating exercise cals you can eat as many as you like if you earned them through exercise!

My daily NET calories are 2300-2500 to maintain my weight.

I eat back my exercise calories - usually every last one of them.

There are days when my calorie totals can range between 3000-3200, but my NET are still around 2300-2500.

So, yes. I NET over 2000 calories a day.

I didn't workout today and I consumed 2452 calories.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    She is talking about losing not MAINTAINING weight at 2,000.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    She is talking about losing not MAINTAINING weight at 2,000.

AND I CLEARLY STATED THAT I LOST AT 2200 NET CALORIES!

I went from 167lbs to 150lbs consuming 2000 NET calories a day.

I went from 150lbs to 145lbs consuming 2200 NET calories.

So, yes it IS possible to be on the smaller side, consume 2000+ NET calories a day and lose weight.

I'm simply telling you that not all people consuming that many calories and losing or who lost weight are very overweight.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    100% agree with chevy. She has seen amazing progress eating over 2000+ calories!!

I am at 121 lbs and can eat over 2k and still lose. Only about .5 lbs a week, but I could still lose.

All about your TDEE
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I normally eat too little (800-1000 a day) but recently I ate (significantly) over 2000 for 5 consecutive days, boarding on 4000 some days, and actually lost weight. I'm 5'1 and 98 lbs so it just goes to show that our bodies need a huge amount of food to make real weight gain, and they adapt to what we give them quickly.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I can maintain on around 2400 NET calories a day. I eat workout calories on top of this.
    For my daily activity, I probably walk for around 1-2 hours a day, 5 days a week. Weekends I'm not active at all.

I'm 5'8 and 145lbs.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Next time I want to lose weight I'll aim for a NET of 2000, because my maintenance is around 2400, so eventually I'd lose it.

Mfp's numbers just don't fit my reality. I lost WAY too fast on 1200, but it still took me ages to believe my TDEE might be over 2000, but it is.