Gained 6 lbs in 4 days!!!!!

Options
I'm pretty freaked out right now. Ever since I have been home for the holiday, four days ago, I have gained six pounds. The way I have been eating is disgusting, and a lot of alcohol has been involved as well. Like on days like today, I can't even begin to TRACK what it was that I ate. I just ate what ever was in sight and what ever looked good.

I go back to school tomorrow and am, of course, going to get back on track since I will be away from my friends who want to party, and all the delicious food. But I can't help but feel like these pounds wont go away and I sabotaged my weight because of how I've eaten these past four days.

Replies

• hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track like you said. Holidays and family and friends! Don't beat yourself up over enjoying that. Those pounds will drop fast...trust me...it happened to me too. You won't even remember them after a few days :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that the majority of that weight is due to water retention because of an increased sodium intake. Thanksgiving food is typically loaded with sodium. Just drink a lot of water and the weight will quickly drop after a few days.

It's highly unlikely that you ate enough to gain 6 pounds of fat in four days. You'd have to eat 21,000 calories above your maintenance level.
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I've done that myself here and there, just had those days where you just eat and eat and everything is so good, you don't think you can stop. But if you have the mindset that you won't be able to lose those pounds you may have put on, then you probably won't try as hard. You'll just give in with the whole "I already screwed up, may as well not try" attitude, which is a bad one to have. Do your best and those pounds will disappear just as quickly as they came! :happy:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    It's mostly water.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's mostly water.

^my thoughts
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is water retention. Your body is responding to all the stuff you've been eating and the alcohol consumption.

It takes 3500 calories OVER your maintenance calories to gain 1lb. That means that in the last 4 days, you would have had to consume 21,000 calories OVER your daily maintenance calories (not the calories MFP gives you to lose weight, but the calories you would consume to remain at your current weight).

Drink a lot of water. It will help flush your system. A huge weight gain in a short time generally is NOT actual weight gain - just water retention.
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same thing as you...my gym opens back up on Monday, and I'm just gonna get back to routine and try and think of it as a few weeks of progress lost. If it turns out to be just water weight, then I will be pleasantly surprised.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It is water retention. Your body is responding to all the stuff you've been eating and the alcohol consumption.

It takes 3500 calories OVER your maintenance calories to gain 1lb. That means that in the last 4 days, you would have had to consume 21,000 calories OVER your daily maintenance calories (not the calories MFP gives you to lose weight, but the calories you would consume to remain at your current weight).

Drink a lot of water. It will help flush your system. A huge weight gain in a short time generally is NOT actual weight gain - just water retention.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    your retaining water.

look I weighed myself wednesday morning, I usually weigh on fridays or over the weekend but did it early because of thanksgiving dinner. I weighed myself yesterday and it said I'd Gained 5lbs. --So that would have meant I gained 5lbs in 3 days.

I always weigh myself of a morning and night (because im obsessed), and every night theres always a 3-5lb difference than what it says of a morning -- thats b/c I had retained alot of water throughout the day.

To gain a lb you would have to eat SOO MUCH. theres no possible way you gained 6lbs in 4 days. that's like 25 big macs in 4 days. I really doubt that you gained 6lbs. I'm betting it's water weight.