So I saw Twilight with my husband......

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
and we didn't really like it that much. We had an interesting discussion relating to the movie though. For those of you that are married, would you pick the same partner or even get married at all, if it were REALLY forever. Meaning you never die. Would you make the same choice in life partners if you knew you would be together for eternity?

It's silly, but turned out to be an interesting discussion.

Replies

• k2d4p
    Options
    For me, I would. THere is no telling what would happen in the future, but I like to think my husband and I would be together forever. We are best friends.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt or hesitation. If the answer is no, you shouldn't have gotten married, imho.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would with my current partner, but not my ex husband. We were the same age Bella and Edward are too, lol.
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would with my current partner, but not my ex husband. We were the same age Bella and Edward are too, lol.

your ex husband was 110 years old??
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    That would be so awesome! No one else for me. It just keeps getting better as the years go by.
  • MBob217
    Options
    YES! We just celebrated our 36th anniversary and I would do it all over again exactly the same or better!! My wife and I just saw the movie yesterday, we both thought it was good, she had some issues with the ending (she almost always does:) but she has read the book and knew that Breaking Dawn was a two movie book so after thinking about it, that was a likely place for it to end.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm already turned off to marriage as it is. This would solidify my decision to never marry. I'd just date the other bachelors until they're finally picked off the market. :bigsmile:
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options

lol
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Without a second thought. There is no one more perfect for me.
  • mrsxbrightside
    Options
    haha... I like Twilight because Edward reminds me of my husband when we first met. He was seriously creepily, psycho-ish... he told me a lot of the same things that Edward tells Bella in Twilight... & I really think that's the only reason I'm attracted to this movie at all, I've tried reading the books (& no offense to the Twi-hards) but they suck. Stephenie Meyer can't write, and it astounds me she has an English degree. Anyway, my point is that young love is kind of crazy. Edward certainly acts like a 17-year-old who is head-over-heels in love, not the true, unconditional love, but the just-met-you-infatuated kind of love. As time went on, my husband told me the same things, but they weren't as crazy sounding (I, too, said the same outlandish things), but that's why I like these films... they just remind me of us when we first met, given it's only been seven years ago, it's kind of like living the past all over again. My husband still tells me really nice & sweet things, but they're more mature now. The thing about this story is that they will forever be teenagers. Time will go on, but will they ever emotionally develop as we have? I got to thinking about that after I saw Breaking Dawn, all the things that I really enjoy about my relationship with my husband will be things an immortal can't know - they're stuck in that same time, forever. It's a dream, a fantasy, that's why it sells. Teenagers are the fanbase, so all they're really looking for is that perfect guy... but what they fail to realize is that the perfect guy isn't someone who tells you sweet-nothings all the time, it's the guy who is willing to fight the battles of a relationship & a marriage. So, with that said, yes I would pick my husband all over again.. because we both have what it takes to not give up on each other, and that means more to me than some sparkly crackerjack telling me I'm beautiful 10,000 times a day & that he is insanely in love with me every second of the day, lol.

Sorry to get over-analytical, haha.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    If people lived forever the divorce rate would approach %100.
  • MsWhiteParks
    MsWhiteParks Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    LMFAO at the sparkly crackerjack!! other than that comment that genuinely nearly made me wee my Pants, I couldnt agree more! :)
  • mrsxbrightside
    Options
    "If people lived forever the divorce rate would approach %100."

That's true, lol.

Would anyone even really want to live forever? I mean, I don't want to die, but if I COULDN'T die...?
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options

[/quote

LMBO, thanks for the laugh..
    Team Edward
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

That's true, lol.

Would anyone even really want to live forever? I mean, I don't want to die, but if I COULDN'T die...?

Vampires can die. and i would love to live forever. it would be interesting to see what humanity will accomplish.
  • mrsxbrightside
    Options

That's true, lol.

Vampires can die. and i would love to live forever. it would be interesting to see what humanity will accomplish.

True, and although I'm typically an optimist, I don't have much faith in humanity anymore. It seems that every day humanity is growing worse. My heart aches for this world already, I don't think I could stand to live through it for 100+ years. It would be interesting, though, to see things & times change. Instead of living forever, I wish I could time travel, haha. I would love to go back in time.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

That's true, lol.

True, and although I'm typically an optimist, I don't have much faith in humanity anymore. It seems that every day humanity is growing worse. My heart aches for this world already, I don't think I could stand to live through it for 100+ years. It would be interesting, though, to see things & times change. Instead of living forever, I wish I could time travel, haha. I would love to go back in time.

i was listening to a Freakanomics podcast today and they were discussing just this. People assume the world is getting worse/more violent etc... but in reality this is the safest time in recorded history. far fewer people die today due to war, crime etc...than at any other point in the past. and lifespans are much longer. so i'm going to take a glass half full look on the world. :)
  • mrsxbrightside
    Options

That's true, lol.

i was listening to a Freakanomics podcast today and they were discussing just this. People assume the world is getting worse/more violent etc... but in reality this is the safest time in recorded history. far fewer people die today due to war, crime etc...than at any other point in the past. and lifespans are much longer. so i'm going to take a glass half full look on the world. :)

I think the real reason people are discouraged with the world is the news. Every time I turn on the news or check Yahoo! front page, there is something horrible on there.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

LMFAO, no. He was actually 18, one year older than Edward's fictional age.
  • k2d4p
    Options

LMFAO, no. He was actually 18, one year older than Edward's fictional age.

my husband was 19 when we got married. We are still going strong many years and 2 kids into it. I know the young age isn't ideal, but every once in a while it does work.