I'm nearly OBSESE???

Options
Good morning!! I found this site with the help of my workout partner's lil sis. I'm absolutely thrilled with the potential this program has in my forever quest to be healthy. Naturally, I set about to learn my way around & diligently filled in all the blank spots as needed. I cam across the BMI. My heart nearly stopped when I learned that I am borderline obsese. :( I realize I am quite short: 4' 9 1/2". I do weigh about 135lbs. I wear a size 4/6. I go to the gym diligently at least 3X a week & I run like a crazy woman. lol!! I also lift weights: benching 70lbs now, leg press 100lbs & increasing at a regular rate. I know I cannot put a whole lot of stock in just numbers. But admittingly, I feel a twinge of discouragement....:(

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a precise measure for everyone. Especially people with a lot of muscle. If you are a size 4/6, I can promise you that you are NOT obese! Keep up your hard work and don't get discouraged.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    BMI is ridiculous crap. Don't let it get to you.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi, you need to remember that people, who regularly exervise have more muscles and weight more! I.e. the BMI, which is nothign else than a formula based on your weight and height... is not always the correct meassure. Think about those heavy weight guys like the strong men or the ones that do bodybuilding. According to BMI most of them are probably borderline obese or even obese (I gues even some morbidly obese :noway: so chill ^^ someone with a perfect weight isn't always the healthiest person :bigsmile:
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    All these numbers are just guides. You obviously do not fit in the formula - DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! I am 5'4" and 193.5 lbs. I am obese, but as my weight goes down and my clothes fit looser I also see my BMI go down and am moving closer to the I'm just fat range. It is all ok, just be healthy and feel good in your skin!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    BMI, schmee-em-eye

The BMI was introduced in the early 19th century by a Belgian named Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet. He was a mathematician, not a physician.

So, created in the 1800's - it's RATHER dated..... and um. Yeah.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Don't go by the BMI and please don't try to get down to the weight that the height/weight chart says you have to be. I'm 5ft1" tall and according to the chart and my doctor, I need to be 101 pounds and that's not going to happen. I don't even want to get down to 125 pounds. That's the smallest I was, before I've started gaining weight. It took me 4 years to gain 20 pounds, raising my weight up to 145 pounds. From there I've gained more.

I don't focus on my scale weight. I focus on my body fat percentage, pounds of fat and inches. I have a body fat percentage goal and when I reach it, I will still be classified as being overweight on the bmi chart, but according to the body fat percentage chart, I will be healthy.

The BMI doesn't know how much fat you are carrying on your body. Start tracking your body fat percentage, it will show you a totally different picture.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I actually read in Women's Health recently that there is debate over whether or not to do away with the BMI and come up with a new system because it tends to put muscular healthy people in the overwight and obese catergories. If you're eating right and working out regularly, I wouldn;t sweat it because you are living a healthy lifestyle and thats the important thing.
  • Scfresquez
    Scfresquez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To get an accurate measure of your BMI, have your doctor or trainer do a fat pinch test. Like the others said your body weight may be more from muscle than fat and the calculation gives you a higher BMI than you really are.

You certainly sound healthy and trim.
  • AZackery
    Options
    To get an accurate measure of your BMI, have your doctor or trainer do a fat pinch test. Like the others said your body weight may be more from muscle than fat and the calculation gives you a higher BMI than you really are.

You certainly sound healthy and trim.

You are thinking about a body fat test.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Here's the formula to use to find out your bmi:

Weight
    _____ x 703 = BMI

Height in inches x Height in inches

To find you height in inches you take your feet and multiply it by 12 and add your inches.

For example. Say Jane Doe is 5ft5" tall and weighs 150. Her BMI would be 25.

______ x 703 = BMI

5(12)+5 = "65" x 5(12) +5= "65"

____ x 703 = 25

If you have a body fat scale that also gives you your bmi as well, it should give you the same bmi you come up with using this formula.

The Omron body fat handheld monitor gives both the body fat percentage and bmi. Sometimes, your body fat percentage and bmi will be close. But the body fat percentage is more important, because it lets you know how much fat is on your body. Fat can cause help problems.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great site to make friends and find support! My high weight was 192, very close to obese, very overweight. Now Im right in the middle of my proper weight
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You're about an inch and a half shorter than I am. The BMI charts have been determined to be inaccurate for those of us who are "under-tall" as well as those who work out regularly. While you may have some fat to lose, I think you'd be better off focusing on muscle tone and strength as well as bloodwork.

How is your cholesterol? What's your body fat percentage? Do you have any unhealthy eating habits? Do you get enough vitamins to feel vibrant? Are there abilities that you'd like to improve? Perhaps taking up a new sport? Those are the types of fitness to focus on.
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the many positive responses. I know I still have some unhealthy habits.....foods being my primary enemy, especially all of that "good" stuff. I don't diligiently take my vitamins. I've got quite the lil stack building in my kitchen cupboard. I do need to learn what my body fat percentage is even though I am dreading it!! It's best to know than to be walking around blindly. Although blindly won't be quite as painful...hahaha....Again, thank you so much for all the encouraging words. I really hope logging will help me be more responsible. Have a wonderful day!! :)
  • gonzalezmona
    gonzalezmona Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome that you have lost 31lbs!! Thank you for the positive words!! :)
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Could the moderators or the OP edit the title of this post? The incorrect spelling of "obese" is driving me crazy.