last 3 lb/maintenance advice needed

Options
ok so i am 3 lb from goal and trying to increase calories a little as i near maintenance. i went from about 1450 to 1600 this last week and experienced a gain of 0.6. i can't really blame it on thanksgiving because i ate really well that day. i didn't go over 1700 calories that day. i wonder if i should just leave it at 1600 and see what happens next week? i find it hard to believe that with exercising 6x a week that 1600 calories is my maintenance number. but why would i gain if it wasn't my maintenance number? could it be that my body is used to about 1450 calories and the difference made me gain temporarily? did anyone experience this and then see a loss when their body adjusted? i just feel like 1600 is a really low maintenance calorie amount for a person working out 6x a week for 30 minutes each time doing stuff like jillian michaels and turbo jam.

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    BUMP for later- I'm in maintenance mode, needing to know the same thing- not sure what happens in it
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    muscle gain maybe???
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    0.6 lb doesn't seem significant enough to call it a gain. Water retention could make that difference. I've sweat off more during workouts or from going to the bathroom. You should stick with the 1600 and see how things go.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 calories a day to when I hit my maintenance weight when mfp said I should eat 2057 calories a day. on mfp's advice i promptly put on 2 lbs in a week...so i'd take mfp's calculations with a huge pinch of salt. if you are working out that hard, you should be on way more than 1600 a day.
  • Anyanut
    Anyanut Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's really going to depend on the type of calories you are taking in. If they are starches and carbs, yes you will gain. I'd start with increasing your protiens first and then uping the natural carbs like fruits and starchy veggies then lastly uping the breads etc. Do it slowly, not all at once and hopefully this will keep you from gaining...I also agree that .6 is not enough to worry about yet.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I doubt you actually gained .6 lbs.. probably just water weight or more food in your digestive system.. I break the rules and weigh everyday so I see a difference of about 3 lbs all week and I have been maintaining for about 2 months between 126-129..

so don't freak out and just see how it goes at your next weigh in..
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    maybe keep at the same but watch the carbs... sounds like good advice. thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 calories a day to when I hit my maintenance weight when mfp said I should eat 2057 calories a day. on mfp's advice i promptly put on 2 lbs in a week...so i'd take mfp's calculations with a huge pinch of salt. if you are working out that hard, you should be on way more than 1600 a day.

why would you suddenly nearly double your intake just like that?!

increase the cals gradually and give your body a good few weeks to get used to the extra cals. 0.6lbs is a tiny amount, so i wouldnt worry. stick with 1600 for a couple more weeks and see what happens
  • MJ7910
    Options

increase the cals gradually and give your body a good few weeks to get used to the extra cals. 0.6lbs is a tiny amount, so i wouldnt worry. stick with 1600 for a couple more weeks and see what happens

actually that was a different person who did that. i just went from 1450 to 1600 and gained 0.6 lb. that was a different person who went from 1200 to 2000.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

actually that was a different person who did that. i just went from 1450 to 1600 and gained 0.6 lb. that was a different person who went from 1200 to 2000.

i know. i was replying to both posts.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Hon, when you change something like that your body has to adjust. You REALLY don't need to worry about .6 of a lb. I seriously gain more than that from water retention after a heavy lifting session. You need to stick to the calorie number for between 2-4 weeks to see if it affects weight at all. Unless you magically gained five pounds, you don't have to worry :D
  • MJ7910
    Options
    Hon, when you change something like that your body has to adjust. You REALLY don't need to worry about .6 of a lb. I seriously gain more than that from water retention after a heavy lifting session. You need to stick to the calorie number for between 2-4 weeks to see if it affects weight at all. Unless you magically gained five pounds, you don't have to worry :D

ok that makes me feel a bit better. :) thanks