Hello, thought I'd introduce myself...

Options
My name is Ben, and I am from Manchester in the UK.

In the past seven months I have put on quite a lot of weight and have joined a gym last week to try and do something about it.

I realise that diet is also key, and a friend recommended the myfitnesspal app, which I absolutely love and have been using to track my food and my exercise.

I weigh 205 pounds, and am 5'7" tall, - I am classed as 'obese' :S

Since Monday I've been to the gym every day, and do cario workout for at least 40 mins a day, and the machines tell me I burn between 350 - 450 calories doing so.

I am hoping to get down to around 12.5 stone (which is 175 pounds), which means I need to loose 30 pounds.

I will be keeping in contact with the boards and checking on here for food and exercise advise and tips!

Thanks.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ben!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben,

welcome aboard. your goal is totally do-able..when i read your post it reminded me of myself, very similar circumstances. diet is as important as exercise, but i did it a weird way, first thing I did was cancel my gym subscription and worked out outdoors...hard to do in the UK, but whatever works for you!

keep at it and don't lose focus, you can do this!!!
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Ben,

Congratulations on getting started. You are very similar in size to my husband. He's starting tomorrow. He's about 185 lb and 5' 8" tall. I giggled over the "stone" measurement because my daughter and I started watching this tv show "Supersize vs. Superskinny" and they kept talking about losing a stone etc. I had to look it up to see what it meant. Of course, I'm in the US so that means I don't know others' units of measure. ;)

I've been on/off diets many times over the last 10 years...vanity weight mostly. This time I've lost weight by getting exercise each day...getting up at 4 am to walk on the treadmill, and basically just using portion control. Every other time I've lost weight it's been by "being perfect" and completely changing my diet and being very strict. This time, I'm still having wine, still having Pringles (my weakness) but I'm doing so in moderation. Hopefully, this will be realistic enough for me to keep up with and won't gain it all back. I've lost about 15 lbs. Hey...that's over a stone!

Steph
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ben ! Feel free to connect !!!
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    well done for coming on here and starting the gym too i have lost 29 pounds and got another 15 to go you can add me as a friend if you want to for support good luck with your weight loss:smile:
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hello Ben - I just joined this week too!
  • 40Rennie
    Options
    Welcome Ben and good luck. If you can start this journey around the holidays and stay on track you got it. This site is a big help for me and I know it will be for you too.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ben! I wish you the best of luck with your goal, and along this journey. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • benhamiltonuk
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these replies - I feel quite overwhelmed!

I've realised in life that if you have a problem (foodm , drug, drinks, gambling, anything really) that the best way to beat it is not on your own but with the support of other people so I hope to tap in to some of the help available here and thank you again for all the replies.
  • bumblebee007
    bumblebee007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ben,

The best thing I did last year was the get a gym session worked out for me by a trainer, I just did it during my induction session. Cardio is great but if you also add a little resistance training, the muscles you create will continuously burn energy even when your not working out. I'm sure as a guy you'll build the muscle up pretty quickly too. Try spinning too- I've never worked so hard in my life and having up to 600 calories extra to play with gives you a chance for a treat afterwards.

Good luck with it all!