How often do you take rest days?

Options
I haven't taken a rest day this week, since I at least wanted to maintain my weight during the holiday weekend. But I usually take one day where I don't exercise, but it's usually not planned as to which day I take every week...I just go with it. lol Any of you do the same, or do you have a set day/days where you take that time off to rest?

Thanks in advance! :bigsmile:

Replies

• p0stdramatic
    Options
    I rest most Sundays. Mostly because that's when everyone else I know rests. Sometimes I'll go to the gym and spend some time on the stair climber and do some strength training, but it's pretty rare.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I TRY to rest Mondays, but it just doesn't work.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm going by how I feel. I just started 30DS and I had to stop cycling to work, as my legs are killing me. Knowing that I can't do the workout on Tuesday though makes me want to push myself harder. Usually though, I just listen to my body, when it's tired it's tired and need a day off.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My general rest days are Friday and Sunday but it depends on my week, sometimes it's just Sundays sometimes there are no rest days. If you feel good and don't feel like having a rest day it won't hurt, if you're tired and pushing yourself maybe it's time to take a day off.
  • Janiece65
    Janiece65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to take one day a week (usually Sunday). However, I travel for business a lot, so sometimes I have to be flexible to accommodate my plane schedule, etc. As a general rule of thumb, I try not to exercise more than 8 days in a row without a break. YMMV, though.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I teach fitness classes Mon-Sat and workout with my classes, so Sunday is usually my rest day. This week I've had Saturday and Sunday (but I did teach a class on Thursday morning and 2 on Friday).
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I TRY to rest Mondays, but it just doesn't work.
    Mondays are no rest day for this guy... :) love u Josh!
  • Loverj79
    Loverj79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i take sat and sun. off only cause that when my daughter is home from school and shes 5 so she wants to workout with me and just ends up in my way!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i take sat and sun. off only cause that when my daughter is home from school and shes 5 so she wants to workout with me and just ends up in my way!

This is a TERRIBLE reason to take a rest day. Come up with workouts that your 5 year old CAN DO with you!
    Teach them exercise is fun from the beginning!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 5 days a week. Tuesdays and Fridays are my most common off days, but sometimes it changes. I do 3 intense work-outs per week, never on consecutive days. Also, I like to give my body extra rest every so often and have had success working out just 3x a week for a couple of weeks to let the body recover (I cut out the steady pace cardio days and just do the intense workouts on these weeks). I strongly believe that you CAN overtrain, although I understand working out every day works for some (I also know too many folks who work out every day and don't have the results one might expect).
  • klynnwalker4
    Options
    My rest days are Thursdays. Just happened to end up that way when I was scheduling my workouts.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I was going to the gym I would take Saturdays and Sundays off, unless I missed a day during the week. I always took two days off.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

This is a TERRIBLE reason to take a rest day. Come up with workouts that your 5 year old CAN DO with you!
    Teach them exercise is fun from the beginning!

agree with this guy!!

n also i only take sundays as rest days but most of time i get bored n end up in a gym...
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't plan in advance but I generally know the day before that I'll need one the next day, it's when everything gets hard to do and I get all crampy I bail about twice a week but sometimes a rest day will be a slower walk on the treadmill, since I've started this though I hae to stay away from gym on y off days or I go planning to rest & then I go hard trying to earn more points which defeats the rest day
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take one full rest day a week, which has worked out to be Fridays.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have 2 "rest" days every week. Mondays i do nothing - no lifting, no core, no cardio. On Tuesdays, i might do core and light cardio. The rest of the week, i lift heavy and do moderate to high intensity cardio every day. 2 hours lifting on W/F/Sun, 1 hour on T/Th, and 45 minutes to an hour of cardio each of those days.