Not Weight Related - To Any Mothers

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
I am not sure how to cope anymore. I can't believe the lies I used to tell myself to get through the day, so every day is getting harder. First I'll give you a little back story, please read and give me some advise, I need it.

When I was 14 I was young, in love, and stupid. I got pregnant to my 19 year old boyfriend who promptly dumped me and I haven't seen him since. He has nothing to do with my first child whatsoever. I call him sperm donor.

I dropped out of school because I was ashamed, and moved out of home by myself (with my fathers financial assistance.)

At 16 I went back to school for 2 months to complete my School Certificate while my mother looked after my daughter during the day. (It's an Australian school leavers certificate, you need a Higher School Certificate to get into Uni/higher education facilities.)

Near the end of my exams I met my now partner. He was (and is) so amazing that I wanted to dig my claws into him so he wouldn't let me go. So I did another stupid thing and got pregnant again, but this time I meant to. What an idiot. Yes, I'll admit it.

When I decided to have a second baby I gave up any hope of ever going back to school. Of ever doing anything serious that I really wanted to. Don't give me the "You're a young Mum, you can live when your kids move out!" No. Do you see many 35+ yo women in a high school classroom, partying it up in the night clubs? No.

Those of you who say distance education, no. I want to be in school, to meet people, have friends, have a social life. The point is to get an education, yes, but I miss the school experience just as much as the learning.

I am still only 17 years old. I have no friends. My family is drifting away slowly so they hope I don't notice, but I do. So I'm helping by pushing them further away faster, get the pain over and done with, yeah? I can't talk to my partner, he is 27, he has NO idea how I feel. Nor does he seem to care.

I am just so lost and upset. I have made so many huge life changing decisions that were wrong and I had no right to make. But they are done. How can I cope with destroying my life?

Please help me.

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Counselling? I hope you get your life onto the track that you want it to be on. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't push your parents away. It sounds like they have been supportive in the past and you need them at the moment
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Don't push your parents away. It sounds like they have been supportive in the past and you need them at the moment

I should have clarified, my mother and her family are pushing me away. So I am simply letting them. I am still very close to my father.
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you sound very depressed - probably post natal. You can have a life and an education with young children, it isn't easy and you need a lot of support, so please don't push your family away. I think the first thing you need to do is talk to your doctor of health visitor if you have one about the way you feel, you need to get some help, please don't go through this alone.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    To start with, I don't think that any choices you made in the past truely reflect how you feel right now. I know women my age who have young babies at home who feel lonely and isolated. I feel that way too sometimes. That the only people you ever talk to are your kids and its dull, and grating and you don't get thanked for it or praised for it and you start to miss those environments where you see results on a daily or weekly account to show that you are acheiving, that you have worth.
    You need to forgive yourself for your decisions. Whilst they might have carved a new path for your life only you can let them define who you are. If you really want to go back to school you will find a way. I agree that its probably not possible for you to go back to school right now but that is what you have chosen so you cant really complain about it. You need to get your head down and study to give your kids the life they deserve and not the life you deserve, you might not want to hear it but there aren't that many choices for people with kids. So what if its didtance study for now, its better than options that some other young Mothers have. When you have your leavers cert or whatever then you can either get a job or find a college that has childcare facilities (many do by the way), if you get a job then you can pay for childcare and get your independence back. If your partner is not supporting you then you need to seek advice on moving on from that relationship and get any child allowance from him that he owes,
    You sound like you regret having your children which is sad for you and for them but even sadder, you seem to have lost all hope and perhaps this is something for you to talk to your doctor about? I know the misery of not having your life turn out the way you planned but in my experience you have to get over your sulking, ask for professional help and make a good life for your kids. I may have planned my two pregnancies but I got triplets the second time around, sometimes life is not what you are expecting for yourself but I have learned to embrace those little suprises and make the most of them.
    This too shall pass x
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I have tried to get help before. I saw 2 different therapists. With the first after 4 sessions she told me not to make another appointment, that she couldn't help me. The second only took 2 sessions. I am afraid to try a 3rd place for the same thing will probably happen.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    I just read through my post. I don't mean to come accross as unsympathetic, in fact I understand many of the emotions that you are feeling. I do think you need to see your doctor and I do think that you have to let some of your aspirations change to fit the lifestyle that you have chosen. You are right, you won't be going out and partying with your friends but at the end of the day you have chosen something more worthwhile, you just might need a few more years to realise that its not the end of the world, just a small pause in yours whilst you get things done that need doing before you can start living for yourself? Can your partner afford to put them in daycare?
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    Therapists wont help, not unless they can charge you huge fees, see your doctor. I'd say you need medical help rather than a couch therapy.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    My doctor refuses to give me anti-depressants he thinks it's "not bad enough". I didn't see your post as unsympathetic at all, tough love is what I need.

We can afford to put them in daycare, but I'd feel like an even worse mother than I do now if I put them in daycare.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Put them in daycare and go back to school. I don't know why as mothers we put so much focus on the early years of our children. Yeah, if you stay home your kids can say my mum played play doh with us until we wen't to school but they can also say, our childhood was unhappy because our Mum felt trapped and isolated and became resentful of us, she was sad all of the time and she will have nothing to look forward to in her future. The could also remember a childhood of great daycare, good friends and a Mum who has good self esteem, a job, friends her own age and happiness. You will be able to provide a better future for you and your kids if you study and get a good job that you enjoy. Its not all about baking cupcakes and drawing stickmen, its about providing the platform for your children to grow and flourish, be their role model. Yeah it will be tough sometimes and you might miss the odd class when they are sick. You might feel you are misssing out when your school friends talk about the parties they went to and the boys they are dating but you made your choices and we have to live with our choices, being thegrownup sucks like that but it also has its rewards it really does.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    My youngest is only 3 months old, I would be slammed by everyone I know for putting him in daycare so early. If I was going back to work there would be no problem, but I'd be doing something purely for myself, so I can't justify the ridicule I would receive.
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I dont really feel qualified to answer this but I will give you my opinion.. Having 2 children is overwhelming for me and i am 30 having one running around crazy and an infant is stressful. I am also a stay at home mom I have a good support system and an amazing husband and i still feel isolated sometimes. So first i think take a good look at those kiddos and be thankful for them obviously you love them but be truly thankful for them. second find something small you can do for yourself during free moments can be exercise or a hobby of some kind I read books or make hairbows.. Last if you feel you need medication go see another doctor you know yourself and your body if you feel like your depressed and you cant get a hold of it get medical help ! Hope this helps ! once you are feeling more stable make a plan about your education and stick to it.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    My doctor refuses to give me anti-depressants he thinks it's "not bad enough". I didn't see your post as unsympathetic at all, tough love is what I need.

We can afford to put them in daycare, but I'd feel like an even worse mother than I do now if I put them in daycare.
    studies have shown that children who attend daycare/preschool have better social skills and score higher marks throughout their academic years. (talking to a montessori teacher here, lol I have 3 children, all who began daycare between 6 months and a year. They loved it, and appreciated me all the more when i was with them.
    My youngest is only 3 months old, I would be slammed by everyone I know for putting him in daycare so early. If I was going back to work there would be no problem, but I'd be doing something purely for myself, so I can't justify the ridicule I would receive.

yeah, there is no reason why not, but you could put it off until next september, by then your youngest will be a year. I think that you are really in a hurry to get a move on, which is great, but even just putting a plan in place right now, checking out the daycares (you will prolly need to get on a wait list quick!) and focusing on you and your family for several months or so would be good.
    of course this is all just my opinion, not meaning to be a bossy bessy.
  • jen0731
    jen0731 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I don't think you are selfish by any means by putting your children in daycare to further your degree. You are doing something to better yourself and to make a better life for your children too. My son is now 13 and he had to be in daycare after my maternity leave because it took both incomes to pay bills. He turned out just fine and has never felt like he missed out with us. I had my son at 22 so I know my situation is a little different. I pray you find the help and answers you seek. Maybe talk to your church? Or even a close friend/family member. You can even do part time daycare so they wouldn't be in all day if it makes it easier or maybe night classes when your guy is home. I wish you the best of luck!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and i am from america so i might not fully understand the education system in your country, but i will give you my advice because i was a mother before i turned 18. Daycare is no different than having a family member babysit for you while you go to school/ work/ whatever. Feeling trapped, depressed, or resentful will not help your children or make their life a happy healthy one. Your family and friends can complain and say what they want but these are your children and it is your responsibility to make a good life for them. It sounds like you love them and that's great. It comes down to a balance of what's good for you and what's good for them. It may seem like your putting yourself first but in the end sometimes things have a mutual benefit. I had a good support system and my parents babysat while i finished my lower education and went to work and while it seemed i was doing something for myself my children benefitted in the end whether it be mom was calmer and happier or made more money to feed and clothe them with or could afford to take them skating and to the zoo. When my children were a little older and all 3 in school i went back for higher education. To make a long story short quality time is alot better in my opinion than quantity because it's the quality that your children will remember. I also gotta say children learn alot in daycare educationally and socially.
    Take a deep breath and think about what's truly best for you and them . Good luck
    ps. i don't want you to think i am reprimanding you, i am truly just offering some advice and hope that every thing works out for you and your children.
  • brownmami22
    Options

Why do we as mothers feel the need to justify our actions and decisions to those that are NOT living our life. YOU are the one that's responsible for making a better life for your children not "everyone else" YOU are the one that has to buy diapers, clothes, food and make sure they have a roof over their heads, not "everyone else"...

I am a single mother with 3 girls. ages 14,10 and 8 and I have been divorced for 6 years, I was married to someone for 10 years and he never wanted anything "more" in life, he was content with living on welfare, asking around for money, barely making bills... But after 10 years of that I decided that my girls (who at this time was 8, 4 and 2 needed to see that you have to be strong for yourself and especially for your kids. To show them how they are supposed to face ANYTHING head on and with hard work and dedication you can do it.

Also, just to give you motivation: At the time that I left I went back to collage and worked 2 jobs to make sure that my kids didn't want for anything because, lucky for, I had ABSOLUTELY NO help from my family or his everyone was too busy with their own lives to bother helping me. So I put my kids in day care and bust hump to get it. Now I am doing great I'm finally happy with where I am financially (but, with a 14 year old you can't be too financially stable... LOL )

So Have a little faith in yourself and just a muster seed of faith in our heavenly father that everything will be okay you and only you have to make that first step.