Exercise with back pain

Options
I took a couple of weeks off of exercising when I was on vacation, the week I was going to start Zumba'ing again, my back started hurting. This has happened twice before.

I walk 2x a day, but what other cardio exercises can I do that won't irritate the pain?

Replies

• snhamilton
    snhamilton Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Back problems run in my family, even though it hasn't caught up with me yet. My mom has back pain and arthritis pain, and has found water-based exercises to be the best.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Swimming takes pressure off all the joints and biking (can be stationary) as long as you make sure the seat is adjusted properly and you use good posture. Remember to stretch and deep breathe before and after exercise for 5 to 10 minutes. Taking an anti-inflammatory medication such as Advil about 30 min before exercise may help as well.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Zumba hurts my back too, but spinning and yoga don't.
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have 2 herniated discs, and my physiotherapist recommended simple walking.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    yoga will do wonders to your body that all that cardio doesn't do!
    including help cure that back problem
  • DerryM
    Options
    I had back pain sometimes. What I found after going to a trainer is that my core muscles were very weak. He gave me four ab workouts and four back muscle workouts to strengthen my core which in turn supports my spine. Within two weeks my back felt so much better. I found just simple things as standing up, bending, lifting, were so much easier and could feel my back getting stronger.
    After 3 weeks he added four more ab workouts. Now a month later I am even stronger than before. My back has never felt better and the workouts I started with I laugh because they are so much easier.
    Now when I run, arc trainer, or elyptical no back pain. I may get sore but no pain like before.
    So strengthen those core muscles, it works.
  • starfires
    starfires Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica and possibly a problem with the sacroiliac joint (waiting for referral to investigate this further). All exercise causes me pain, even swimming and gentle walking. However, my physiotherapist has recommended walking as often as possible and exercises to strengthen my core e.g. pilates. He said the worst possible thing would be to stop exercising because the spine compresses and the muscles get tighter, which makes it even more painful when you finally move again. I also ice my back after exercise and take an anti-inflammatory if it's really bad.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting post, because I have been dealing with a deteriorating disc for a few years and it always seems to be aggravated by exercise. I started running again and it began to hurt again. Stopped running and switched to biking, still hurt. Got sick, had to stop exercising due to serious lung issues with a bad cough; it's been day 5 with no working out and my back doesn't bother me an ounce. Have been to a PT but that never helped...very, very frustrated. If you have thoughts, you can send me a personal message or add me as a friend.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm a little surprised that walking helps some people. I've had back pain for years, and walking aggravates it. Standing in one place without moving is the worst, though. Even when I wasn't heavy, I couldn't do that. Compression, I guess.

Have you tried gentle stretching before workouts? The lay down on the floor kind, then point your toes and fingers one seems to help me a little.

Backs are tricky, I guess. What causes pain for one person might be okay for another, but I would think that finding ways to build those core muscles up has to be good for anything spine related, just because it gives your poor spine a rest.

Be careful of the dreaded rowing machine until you get your back in better condition though. I'll never forget the weeks I spent in agony after I met that machine at the gym! Later on it became my favorite workout equipment, but that was after my back completely healed again!