people think im crazy counting calories

Options
Ive finally decided to lose weight, (have been thinking about it for ages)

But im finding that People are not very understanding, I may not look 'heavy' but thats because Ive become so good at hiding my extra weight. I just want to feel slimmer and healthier again but Im concerned people think im going crazy for counting my calories.....

Replies

• Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options

But im finding that People are not very understanding, I may not look 'heavy' but thats because Ive become so good at hiding my extra weight. I just want to feel slimmer and healthier again but Im concerned people think im going crazy for counting my calories.....
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Apparently taking diet pills or eating Acai berries or cabbage soup or not eating any carbs makes more sense to people. :tongue:

I will never understand that. I guess people hear "counting calories" and think it's an obsessive thing or a lot of work or something you can't stick to. I find it pretty easy myself. I mean, most foods have the calorie count right on the package and the rest are easy enough to find online.

Also, whether you have 10 lbs or 100 lbs to lose, counting calories will work. It's a simple, common sense approach and common sense seems to escape way too many people walking among us!! haha!

Just ignore the comments and do what you need to do. That's what I did. :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • Kirsty_2112
    Options
    I competely agree! I see my boyfriend roll his eyes when I turn over the packet to see the calories... but I just want to be healthy! Why is that so hard to understand?!

I'm also in the same boat as you with no LOOKING heavy... I'm 5'8'' and a size 14-16... but it's how you feel, not how other people see you. I know I'd be much happier as a size 12 - so that's what I'm aiming for!!

Good luck. (I've only been at it 3 days, but already I'm feeling good about the way I've managed to control my calorie and fat intake)

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Tell people this is a LIFESTYLE not a diet. Understanding what you're putting into your body is the only way to lose weight and stay healthy for life! People roll their eyes at me too because i'm not overweight. But I want to make sure I get the correct amount of nutrients daily and not eat too much or too little!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

The beauty of this site is that it's an EDUCATION for you. After awhile, you'll know how many calories you're eating without really having to measure, weigh, or read packages. It becomes second nature to you. YOu can count on the same deck-o-cards serving of beef being x# of calories, and know that the chicken noodle casserole is a waste of your time calorie wise, and you will know what is a better snack choice, a stack of oreos or a banana.

Telling people what you're up to is OPTIONAL. I have found that if I don't talk about it, people don't wonder or care. What I put in my mouth is none of anybody elses business, and they don't need to know why I don't want any of the donuts the boss brought in, and/or why I opt for an apple and a small peice of cheese instead.

Everyone's personal perceptions of themselves is usually the right one. I say usually because we all know there are exceptions such as anorexic body image (bad). I was 173 lbs and everyone used to say "You don't look it." to which I'd reply "Yea, but I sure do FEEL IT!!"
    That usually shut them up. REmember, misery usually does love company.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Not a valid concern regarding people thinking your crazy... I do not want to sound harsh but here is the deal..Plenty of people think we are crazy or doing something odd on a daily basis ..but do we let them stop us? Nope not usually we keep pushing on and do what we like to do........Will their approval get you into those size 8 jeans? Nope or will it have your heart beating healthier and your blood pressure normal...Not at all......they can think your crazy for monitoring your food intake and making sure your eating healthy portions....if they want to sit and be glutanous Its safe to assume they are the crazy ones for stretching out their stomachs....do what you know is best..NOT what you feel will get you the approval of others.
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    Counting calories in general is hard and time consuming. But when you find a place like this it makes it so easy to do. I do not feel like I am on a diet. There are so many options out there and everyone here shares what works for them so this is a diet because diets are supposed to be hard and you are supposed to suffer on a diet. RIght?? lol Diabetics have to count carbs and calories and stuff like that. I love being able to stay within my daily goals. This site makes it easy for me.!
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you all for your support!!!! I know its not going to be easy initially, I have to change a life habit!!
    Im one of those people that just put things into my mouth and not even think twice.. terrible habit! This site has been an eye opener I have just realised how unobservant I am with my eating. It shocks me!

You all are right I shouldnt worry about what people think of me. It is upsetting what people can say though, I cant pretend that it doesnt hurt, but at the end of the day, you do whats best for you right!! and this site has been amazing!!!

I really hope I can do this!!!