Question for those who have lost

Options
Can I exercise for a half an hour and stay in my calorie goal and still lose weight? I am getting a bit burned out of working out for an hour.

Replies

• Teeli
    Teeli Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, all the experts agree that a consistent 30 minutes of exercise per day is sufficient....but I think it is really up to each person.Some may need to work out more than that.Good luck with your journey!:smile:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Um. It depends what your calorie goal is, how many calories you eat and how many calories you burn in that 30 mins.

As long as you create a calorie deficit you will lose weight.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i agree with fromaquasar...losing weight is basic...calories in..calories burned gives the amount of loss.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. If you're getting burnt out, you probably aren't getting a great workout anyways, so if a half an hour works for you, do that. My philosophy is to get moving and make it count.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i've lost 16lbs in the last 5 weeks and i work out for 30 minutes, so yes. The only time i work out longer than that is when i take my dog on a brisk walk (2.3 miles in 45 minutes). Otherwise, i use my elliptical (intense) for 30 minutes every other day or so, or do a 20-30 minute workout DVD or utilize on demand, or lift weights for 30 minutes or do pushups, sit ups/crunches, lunges, etc. for only 20-30.

You'll continue to lose as long as you're really working during those 30 minutes and keeping on eye on your calorie intake.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with no exercise at all, as long as you are in a calorie deficit (eat less calories than you burn).

Not that that's ideal, for overall fitness -- but for weight loss, yes.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Are you burning out from boredom? Can you try a different activity, maybe try several until you find something you enjoy more.

You can also break up the workout if time is the issue.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yes you can - as long as you stay close to your net calories a day......I would suggest you trying to days of an hour - and then 30 minutes on the others - as a bonus you get to eat a bit more 2 days a week :-)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Seems like finding a workout that you really enjoy is important. I couldn't stick to working out until I figured out that I had to actually feel joy while I worked out, and that got me more creative. I run on trails, and nowhere else. Treadmills and ellipticals suck as far as I'm concerned. And running in my neighborhood is boring. If I'm out running on my trail and I am not enjoying myself, I stop and go home, and try to figure out what the problem is. The end result is that I now have a routine that I love and that I stick to. Hope you can find something that you love! get creative!!
  • 70kilo
    70kilo Posts: 34
    Options
    My work out is 25 to 30 minutes each time. 5 or 6 times a week. A trainer told me to train 5 times a week max, if I want to, but 3 times kettlebell should be sufficient. Just started that, so can't tell you if that's enough. I noticed that when I listen to my body and don't exercise when my body is really tired, the weight goes of faster.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I started out walking for just 30 minutes 3 days a week. That's what I set my MFP exercise goal to because I didn't want to commit to more. If I do more in a week, that is a bonus for me!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is not the time spent working out, but the calories burned. Depending on what you do you can exercise more or less. I rarely exercise more than a half hour, but I am doing High Intensity Interval Training most of the time. When I workout longer than that it is stuff like cycling places or cross country skiing.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your getting burned out. Love is a powerful motivator. Love what you do and do it often. Live you dream and share your passion. Exercise is a way of being. Ask yourself if you feel better than you did before you started.
  • mommosskinny
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight exercising less. I have lost just over 80 lbs in this year and I was unable to exercise except for a few weeks in physical therapy. I began to fall without warning and have discovered I am developing Parkinsons. Until the med levels are determined exercising is not allowed. That said, I look forward to add exercise when I can for optimal health and to enable me to add more calories to my maintenance calorie total. Hang in there and find something you like to do so that you can enjoy it -- and make sure that you are following a healthy weight loss regimen so that you aren't just losing weight -- you're improving your health. :flowerforyou:

12489380.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods