Hummus???

Options
I have never had hummus before but I keep seeing that a lot of you eat it. What does it taste like? Where do you buy it?

Replies

• JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump

Wondering the same thing
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/quickhummousandolive_71473

It's like a little pot of deliciousness. :)
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to even describe how it tastes---bean dip? (that is, essentially, what hummus is). It's great if you're a garlic lover! Seriously though, it has a very unique nutty, garlic-y, bean dip sort of taste. But it's delicious and I recommend!

You can buy it in the deli section of your grocery store--
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love hummus - the problem is if you eat it with crackers it is easy to eat to much. Here in New Zealand we find it in the freezer aisles - with the pesto, salsa and other dips......you will also find it in the deli section...

Taste .....mmmm... I always get the Roasted Garlic - so I guess it tastes a bit of garlic...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    it taste a little garlicy. its really delicious, and goes great with things like carrots and celery. the sabra brand comes with different flavores. i like the garlic, or the lemon one.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's sort of hard to describe, but I love it and eat it almost daily at lunch! (I put it on a wrap with veggies, feta cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice.) I like the roasted red pepper and the garlic versions. It's also good with pita chips and as a veggie dip.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Normally in the deli section of the stores. Hummus is one of those food types that you either love or hate on first taste. It's made with chickpeas, garbanzo beans and roasted sesame seeds ground up in a paste. Get the flavored style. I love the garlic. Roasted red pepper is good also.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    it tastes like a bowl of love :) eat it with veggies tho cause crackers will be the death of you...oooh and use it on like a pita with veggies instead of like mayo or whatever it is you like...hummus and lettuce and cucumbers and pitas oh my!
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    Love hummus.

http://www.tribehummus.com/

^ This brand it at the local Wal-Mart. It's usually what i get.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It tastes like bean dip but you can get lots of different flavors. I like the spicy red pepper. I put it on tostadas instead of refried beans and I like it with fresh veggies too.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Love hummus.

http://www.tribehummus.com/

^ This brand it at the local Wal-Mart. It's usually what i get.
    that is the brand i get. my favorite is the supremely spicy flavor.. you can dip carrots, or sugar snap peas in it. best snack ever
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's awesome. I just bought a vareity pack today. I have mine with celery or carrots and it's yummy.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone said ^^, it's delicious and you should try the different flavors. Good on sandwiches as a mayo substitute too. Tonight using with veggies as a "dip" .
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make my own at home so I can control the flavor and fat content. Hummus is made from cooked garbanzo beans which are pretty mild. I put a lot of garlic and lemon in my homemade hummus and I grind it to be fairly thick, because that's how I like it.

Most of the store-bought versions are very good too, but it's also cheap and easy to make at home.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's a chick pea dip, so imagine ground chick peas with spices... I love the roasted pepper one and the one with chilli... but there is a whole variety ^^ good stuff for dipping
  • xMarisaJeanx
    xMarisaJeanx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOVE Hummus!! The roasted garlic and red pepper is my favorite!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Its made from chick peas I think but I'd never had them before so wasn't sure if I'd like plain flavour. I tried a flavoured one with tomato and peppers which I know I do like and can only taste them really so still not sure what chick peas actually taste like!
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm....love hummus. Great as a dip for carrots or celery. Has protein, low in calories...great snack. I've also had it on a sandwich with cucumbers, peppers, onions. It's great stuff! made from chickpeas and there are a ton of flavors. Enjoy!
  • AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    Hummus is great. It does have a garlic taste. It has a different kind of consistency. Almost gritty. They sell it in grocery stores, like Athenos, but it’s the best from a Greek restaurant. It’s good with veggies or pita bread. And i prefer it warm.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i eat hummus so often I've considered making my own. my 4 year daughter requests that i put it on her sandwiches. That's how good it is