Sick and Tired

Options
Ok, I have been losing and gaining the same 10lbs for almost a year now. I have been logging and exercising everyday. I have seen 151lbs once on the scale and haven't seen it for a while. Instead the stubborn 157lbs keeps haging around. My goal mentally has always been 147 so that I could have lost a total of 100 lbs but I visited a website and it stated my true weight is 150 because anything lower would be so hard to maintain the effort would not be worth it. Any advice here, I am desperate. I know it may not seem like much but I so miss the days when I would weigh in weekly and see a loss of 2 maybe even 3 pounds. Those days are long gone. I recently switched up my exercise routine by including Jillian Michaels and saw wonderful results but the numbers on the scale keep playing tricks on me. Please help.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Choosing the word "desparate" to describe how you feel seems a little over the top for your ten pound dilemna.

It sounds as though you are in a healthy weight, and you are making too much of this number in your head.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Choosing the word "desparate" to describe how you feel seems a little over the top for your ten pound dilemna.

It sounds as though you are in a healthy weight, and you are making too much of this number in your head.

May seem over the top to you but not to OP... and while my thinking is along the same lines as yours it's not cool to invalidate someone's feelings.

OP, if you are at a healthy weight then maybe this is your body's way of saying this is where it's comfortable. Continue to eat healthy and exercise, but maybe you should find a way to be okay with the weight you're at. I would recommend starting some serious strength training though.
  • harleyshan1
    Options
    I am right here with you. My weight actually fluccuates between 159-147lbs and lately it's hanging aroudn 157 and I want to so bad be in the 140's. I just started this site 2 weeks ago but was doing my re-gain 10lbs with weight watchers. I acutally fluccuate big #'s just during the week as well.. Very frustrating, hang in there I know it;s hard.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

May seem over the top to you but not to OP... and while my thinking is along the same lines as yours it's not cool to invalidate someone's feelings.

OP, if you are at a healthy weight then maybe this is your body's way of saying this is where it's comfortable. Continue to eat healthy and exercise, but maybe you should find a way to be okay with the weight you're at. I would recommend starting some serious strength training though.

It didn't seem to me that cmriverside was attempting to invalidate the OP's feelings, but rather, trying to give her a sense of perspective.

I agree that it is easy to caught up in a particular number on the scale, when what people should be concerned with is their health and fitness.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    cut off your arm!! LOL. J/k! Sounds like if you switch up your exercise routine, this may push the scale to drop.

When I started working out twice a day - did 2 30 minute workout routines and added aerobic classes - the scale dropped! I was stuck forever at 156. I think your body will get used to what you are doing and adjust. You have to "shake" it up a bit, in order for your body to lose again - maybe. IMO

Now I have to do something again, however, I have fallen off the wagon over the past month-my fault.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Well I wouldn't say that post was a very supportive, encouraging or useful. Your opinion of a "desperate" situation and that of others will differ but that does not mean they are overreacting or that their feelings are invalid. These forums are for support, advice and motivation, not to batter people down by telling them they're problems aren't real ones.

I've been in the same situation, an on off diet for around a year now which has seen me lose up to a stone and a year later have put it all back on again and it's sooooo annoying!! It seems I get down to 150 lbs, start to like the way I look; relax and fall off the wagon.

Can't offer any advice as such as I'm in the same boat but I really hope you find what works for you and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what everyone else thinks :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary. I am not sure if you are logging consistantly or not, but you might want to give it a try if you aren't. Some days you have over 1200 calories left to eat.
    If your past 5 days are any indication, and everything is logged, you may want to reevaluate your eating patterns. One day your are 1500 calories over, the next you are 1200 calories under.
    If I were you I set my MFP weightloss to 1 lb a week (I am guessing that you have it set higher since it seems your MFP suggested intake is around 1200 calories) and stick with that calorie goal for awhile and see how that works. Eating too few calories is not a great idea, which seems you may be doing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    All I have seen on those last pounds is that is it very slow to get there. It requires a small calorie deficit (no more that 250 a day and less might be better), diligence and time. If you have been running a large calorie deficit and doing the same sort of exercise all this time, you would be well served by switching things up. After all this time it might even be good to eat your maintenance calories for a while.

Here is a good guide to the sort of calorie deficits your body can handle:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I had also stopped eating my exercise calories back. Looks like you are getting a lot of exercise calories, try not eating them back. Just try it, see what happens :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I looked back farther, and it seems you tend leave a lot of calories left. On some days, your intake is only 500 calories. I would definitely try to eat more, even if you don't eat all your exercise calories.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Okay I can offer my thoughts with a grain of salt, I mean look at me I'm obese compared to you, but looking at your tracking I see A LOT of sodium. Some days you are great other days not so much. Also I see a lot of meat and little veggies/fruit to keep things flowing. So based on that I can see one possibility of how you could be losing the same 10 lbs of water weight and and weight due to when you do get your colon all empty. Sorry to be descriptive I tried to keep it cleanish.

I tell you from my heart as I lose and gain the same 5-10 lbs constantly. The cure is lots of water reasonably high fiber and low sodium which can be tricky(the last part). ;)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Well I wouldn't say that post was a very supportive, encouraging or useful. Your opinion of a "desperate" situation and that of others will differ but that does not mean they are overreacting or that their feelings are invalid. These forums are for support, advice and motivation, not to batter people down by telling them they're problems aren't real ones.
    Your quote was not useful, encouraging or supportive either. You bashed another poster, hypocrite much?

@OP: Just stick with the program, make sure you eat as close to your calorie goal as possible and don't sweat the fluctuations in weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Sorry, I got busy and couldn't finish my answer but you may want to read this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/208407-how-to-repair-a-damaged-metabolism-stavation-mode
  • jfkittay
    jfkittay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have reduced the sodium, sugar and carbs - seems to help. Most important you need to eat, if you are not eating enough each day your body probably is going into survival mode, thus begins the yoyo diet. Also remember to switch you workouts daily.

Log and Blog it keeps you accountable as well!
    Hang in there:smile: