no gym for a week, help!

Options
So I'm home for Spring Break! yay, finally got finished with my midterms and now i'm here.
My gym membership is at school, and therefore I'm without gym.
I am not supposed to run because of a disease in my nervous system that erodes my feet bones (long story), and so when I'm at the gym I usually walk and elliptical and bike and do weights. I know that I can do isometrics at home, but I feel like I don't get as much done when I'm walking outside as I do when I'm in the gym and the treadmill is keeping me at a steady brisk pace. And the elliptical usually keeps those cals burning.

Is there anything else I can do to keep myself from completely losing my progress?
Thanks y'all!!

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So I'm home for Spring Break! yay, finally got finished with my midterms and now i'm here.
    My gym membership is at school, and therefore I'm without gym.
    I am not supposed to run because of a disease in my nervous system that erodes my feet bones (long story), and so when I'm at the gym I usually walk and elliptical and bike and do weights. I know that I can do isometrics at home, but I feel like I don't get as much done when I'm walking outside as I do when I'm in the gym and the treadmill is keeping me at a steady brisk pace. And the elliptical usually keeps those cals burning.

Is there anything else I can do to keep myself from completely losing my progress?
    Thanks y'all!!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hey

i am not sure if you can with your condition, but i like to jump the rope.
    Have you tried swimming ? maybe there is a public pool nearby.
    any work out dvds ?

i dont have a gym membership and make do with whats around.
    good luck !
    may
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Check out your local library and get some exercise videos. Also march in place, create your own kickboxing class, imaginary jump rope (if possible) and definitely stregth training - squats, lunges, push ups, abs, back/side kicks, calf raises...
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do you still have a relationship with anyone at your high school? When I would go home for breaks, I always trained with my high school team & used the weight room... just a thought. Also, see if any gyms would let you workout for a flat fee for the week/session. I bet if you explain, they would work with you.

Good for you for not viewing this as a week off! :flowerforyou:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Youtube has great ab workouts, and cardio routines (I just tried Tae Bo in my tiny hotel room)

Shape.com has great workouts for anywhere.

iTunes has downloads of pilates, core or yoga podcasts.
  • JPRexRun
    JPRexRun Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation for a week and I went over to the nearest LA Fitness - a week pass was only $40, so if you go 5 times, that's only $8/time - totally worth it for the destressing factor! Most gyms will do this if you're nice about it :)
  • kmccleery04
    Options
    Look around at several gyms. There are a couple that may even let you go for free for a couple days. The gym I'm a member at right now charges non-members $15 a day, I think it is silly! Maybe see if your family wants to go for walks with you. I know my mother loves it when I invite her along!!! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    CF, I know walking outside doesn't feel like it's the same as a treadmill (I run on the tredmill every day so I hear ya), but it's actually better for you exercise wise, if you can do a couple of little things. 1st, map out a route, find out how far it is and stay on it. It's easy to find a 1 mile route or 2 or 3...etc by simply resetting the trip meter in a car and driving it. Then use how fast you walk on the tread mill and figure out how long it should take to walk that route. And make sure you have good walking sneakers because walking on paved surface is worse for your back and knees then a tredmill (course if it's just for a week, you should be ok). Make sure you wear a watch to be sure you are on the right pace. A heart monitor is even better as it will tell you whether you are in the right cardiac zone or not.
    All that being done, the changes in incline and wind resistance outside are actually helpful in working hard. These are things not easilly mimicked by the tredmill. Yes you can change incline, but it's more structured inside, so not as dynamic thus not as hard for the body to adjust. I try to add atleast 1 good hill to my runs when I go outside.

best of luck.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    We have a local fitness center that you can see if there is one close to you, you can go in as a guest if not a member for at least a week. It doesn't cost that much. :happy: Have a happy spring break.