Cleanse and detox my body

Options
I am not trying to stress my body by not eating but I think it would help to do a short detox, maybe a three day detox, something simple and easy to follow. I would like to feel like I'm starting a new phase in my life of good healty food.

Does anyone have a simple detox they could recommend for three days maybe a week plan???:smile:

Replies

• agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Options
    I am not trying to stress my body by not eating but I think it would help to do a short detox, maybe a three day detox, something simple and easy to follow. I would like to feel like I'm starting a new phase in my life of good healty food.

Does anyone have a simple detox they could recommend for three days maybe a week plan???:smile:
  • leclaireal
    Options
    I tried the whole detoxify deal a few weeks ago. I did the 48-hour Hollywood diet where you are supposed to lose up to ten pounds by only drinking the juice for two days. The first day was really hard but the second was a lot easier. I felt really tired the first day and didn't want to exercise; however after the second day i felt fine. I think that it was just a big shock to my body at first. I wouldn't recomend doing it for over three days (any type of detoxifying). You lose more weight when you have the energy to do your workouts. It does make your body feel a lot better when it's over though and i did lose a few pounds quick!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Detoxing is a dangerous new fad and gimmick created by people hawking their product lines. You should be very careful when thinking about doing this because of the longer term effects like serious muscle breakdown and deterioration.

These diets give you a false sense of security and have been around for centuries coming back into the fad phase now and again but they are dangerous.

I would very highly recommend that you read the articles at these sites:

1. http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/14/healthmag.detox.diets/index.html

2. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18595886/

3. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

4. http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/dieting/detox_diets.html

Please, see your doctor or nutritionist if you're doing something like this for longer than three days.

Bob
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yes yes, don't detox. I know many people extole detoxing but our bodies run a certain way for a reason. If detoxing was needed then our bodies would have developed the need to do it eons ago. rheston put up some good articles, check them out. Before anybody takes a drastic approach (not just to detox but to anything with the body and body chemistry), sit down and think about it. Shocking the body consists mainly of drastically changing either what we put in to it, what we do with it, or what we take out of it. Normal people not only don't need to shock their bodies, it's bad for you, as it creates undo stress which can release hormones that cause various base reactions by the body, everything from lethargy, to pain, to hunger, to depression, to organ failure (partial or full). That is one of the main reasons slow and steady works so well.
    This isn't just something I cooked up to sound nice. These are facts stated over and over by the medical community that is based on years of both empirical and scientific theory based research and testing.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am glad you asked this question, I had wondered about all this advertisement about detox. After seeing what Banks and Rheston have to say about it, I won't be trying it. :smile:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree with rheston.

The only time I did a detox, it was under the supervision of a Naturopath and it worked wonders but to do it alone, unsupervised...no way.
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Options
    I won't detox...Thanks for the wisdom!