Penguin Runners group

Options
I would like to start a Penguin Runners group for those of you who run slow (like me) but at least get off the couch and do it! I have been inspired to start running by John Bignham who writes the Pengiun Chronicles (renamed No Need for Speed) for Runners World Magazine. His approach is that it is okay to be slow...like a penguin...you are a runner anyway. Here is a link to his site: http://www.teampenguin.com/index.php I need at least 3 people to form a group. Let me know if you are interested here!

Replies

• coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • snhamilton
    snhamilton Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am!! But I'm still pretty new to running, so I'm not sure what qualifies as slow running! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,953 Member
    Options
    I like the name. I start and stop with the running program. I think I could give it another go! Penguins are my favorites.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm slow enough that I can speedwalk as fast as I jog :p But I'm getting there!
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in learning more -- I use the Couch to 5K program, but am definitely slow! :)
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • timrap
    timrap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Would love to join! I love to run but am definitely not fast. I am getting better but feel as long as I keep trying that's what matters!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bump this so I can return to it later when I feel better. I'm just getting over bronchitis and I don't think I can even run a little slowly. I would like to be able to some day.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'm interested!
  • jmppilot
    jmppilot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been a penguin runner for years. Just ran my first marathon this fall with a shirt I had custom made. The front read "You don't have to go fast. You just have to go." and the back read "Too slow to win. Too dumb to quit."

Not sure what would be involved, but over the last 7 years running changed my life from morbidly obese to physically fit. I'm in! In the words of John Bingham... Waddle on friends.
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This sounds great, count me in!
  • CMoney412
    CMoney412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    read the book, loved it, I am down with it!
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Done! The group is set up and I have sent you all invites. Now who would like to be a moderator with me?
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If there is room for one more-please add me:)
  • perezke
    Options
    There is room for as many as want to join. It is an open group. No need to send an invite, but I will.
  • perezke
    Options
    I have been a penguin runner for years. Just ran my first marathon this fall with a shirt I had custom made. The front read "You don't have to go fast. You just have to go." and the back read "Too slow to win. Too dumb to quit."

Not sure what would be involved, but over the last 7 years running changed my life from morbidly obese to physically fit. I'm in! In the words of John Bingham... Waddle on friends.

BTW, I love the tshirt quote!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When will the group start? Will it be a monthly challenge thing? Right now I can't run- might be down for another 4 weeks due to recovery from surgery. However, when I am completely healed and allowed to do normal activity, I am looking to start the couch to 5k program. Before the surgery, I could barely run/jog for 1 min so looking to build up stamina.
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am in!