Im not complaining but.........

Options
It seems that the more weight I loose the harder it is to burn big calorie numbers!!! Even tried to change my routines most I can get out of a 60 minute work out is 600 cal. and that still a feat. I use a polar FT4 HRM. any suggestions!

Replies

• jazzmannca
    Options
    First and foremost.. CONGRATULATIONS on your 72lb weight loss!!!

In regards to your question.. have you tried going somewhere that does bootcamp workouts? I've been doing bootcamp workouts since June and I haven't had the same routine one single time. Every single workout is different. The body has no idea what you're going to throw at it.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    That is normal. You burn more when your moving more weight
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I only burn about 600 calories an hour depending on what I'm doing. I would assume you just need to do a longer workout. I do circuit 3x a week, run 2x a week, do zumba and then sometimes yoga.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    600 cals for an hour seems reasonable to me.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    600 cals for an hour seems reasonable to me.

To me too! And 72 lbs is great! Maybe do a smaller workout one day, then rev it up the next? Still, 600 calories is one half a day's calories.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also the fitter you get the less cals you burn. As you get fitter you recover faster and your Heart rate drops faster in rest periods. I talked to my PT about this and she said its normal.

She has to work twice as hard and long to get a 600 cal workout. It sucks but ast the same time it means you are getting fitter, so its good.

I used to average between 500 - 650 cals at boot camp sessions, im now averaging 350 - 500 max
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's definitely normal! Same exact thing happened to me. You have to remember that you're moving 72 lbs less as you work out then when you started so you need to burn fewer calories to do that.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    600 is still fantastic though - the fitter you get the less you burn unfortunately! As my fitness has improved I still try and push myself the same as I did when I was unfit. So now I am running way faster and lifting more - ie my workouts are a lot more intense than 3 months ago. it is harder in classes but when you are running or on machines at gym up the speed and distance etc

good luck and congrats on 72 lbs FANTASTIC
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Can't argue with science- fact is that it takes less energy to move around a smaller body.
    Don't stress about it, celebrate it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is basically effort times weight. As you lose weight, you burn less calories. As you get fitter, it takes less effort to work out, and you burn less calories. This is why calorie burn should never be the goal of a workout session. Goals should be amount of weight lifted, amount of reps/sets, speed and distance run/biked, etc. The amount of calories you burn should be the result of a workout, not the goal of a workout.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is very true the next pound is harder to to lose then the last pound
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You burn fewer calories because you have lost weight and/or you HRM is not set up properly.

You do NOT burn fewer calories because you have increased your fitness level-unless you are doing a relatively complex group exercise and you refuse to work any harder.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    haha.. yup, that is what happens. You have to work out harder with more resistance to burn the same calories you were burning before. The truth is it doesn't get easier, as some people like to tell you in order to motivate you to keep going in the first place.

If you want to burn more calories, you have to workout harder and create new challenges for yourself.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    How about something more advanced.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/389137-cardio
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Its about intensity and muscle confusion. And 600 cal's is a pretty good total... I burn more, around 900-1,000 per hour, but I am 232 lbs. And I work my butt off at the gym: weights and high intensity with short or no rest, changing my workout every 3 weeks. My cardio is interval.
    I
    Note: a pound is a pound is a pound. Caloric burn doesn't know yesterday from tomorrow. That part is in your mind. The calories you burn depends on your energy output, which partly depends on your mass.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Muscle confusion is a marketing gimmick. It's generally useless as a training technique. If you change your routine too often (more than once every month or 6 weeks) your body never has time to properly adjust to anything you do, which confuses it alright, confuses it right into doing nothing. Always stick to a routine until it stops being effective, changing it just for the sake of "confusing your muscles" is a waste of time and effort, as there's really no way to confuse muscles, hey do work, they overload, they get stronger. They don't care about the specifics of the movement. All changing routines constantly does is mess up any consistency you have in progression