FAST FOOD

Options
I hate when your going out with friends, then they go to a fast food restaurant! My friend and I even said we dont want fast food, lets go somewhere healthy, but the boys said no they want KFC. I need to find out whats the best thing you can eat when this kind of thing happens...I ended up having a fillet burger and regular coleslaw instead of what I used to get before trying to lose weight which was an ultimate burger meal or a burger with chips and soft drink, which i suppose is wayyy better but I still felt bad afterwards.

Any ideas?

Replies

• NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    I always go for a salad, which most of these places have now. Get grilled meat (chicken or steak), rather than deep fried with batter. Get a light dressing if you can, and only put on 1/2 the packet or less. Fill up with water or diet soda.

Good luck, it is always a challenge.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    At KFC I'd order grilled chicken breast (Don't eat the skin), greenbeans and either water or diet soda. And be careful, one little KFC biscuit has loads of calories.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    KFC is easy - grilled chicken breast (220 calories) and sides like green beans (25 calories) or mashed potatoes without gravy (90 calories). They also have corn (70 calories) and a variety of salads ranging from 15 calories on up.
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    http://www.500calorierestaurantmeals.com/

this is what I use. I don't know how often or if ever that it gets updated but it's helped me so far. I try to avoid fast food but life gets in the way. Or i get cravings. haha good luck
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I eat at KFC alot! I can eat and it is under 400 calories!! Grilled chicken breast, green beans and the mashed potatoes. I think the chicken breast is like 220, green beans are 20 and the mashed potatoes are 120,,,, looks like that is 360!!! DO NOT EAT THE BISCUIT.... it simply is not worth the 190 calories or whatever ungodly number it has...... McDonalds is a southwestern grilled chicken salad with the southwestern dressing for 390, BK garden salad with grilled chicken around 300, I do not eat at rallys, white castle..... things that do not have a salad to fall back on. Hopes this helps....
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    If I have to eat fast food for whatever reason, I always google the nutrition info before hand so I know what will do the least amount of damage.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fast food....I dread it on the weekends. My husband LOVES to eat out when we're running errands or whatever. M-F we eat at home and I spend the weekend feeling sick.

I always go grilled, never breaded. If it's a sandwich joint, I do plain and remove the bun. Most places have salads now, which is always my side. Chic-Fil-A has a good one, BTW. At KFC, I'd opt for green beans. It's always a challenge. I try to plan before even getting there by looking up nutrition info.
  • chelsieb27
    Options
    My bf loves eating fast food. I used to love it LOL. Well I did buy that book "eat this not that." I found it helped a lot. Basically stay away from anything fried. The salads are not always the best option either. They put all kinds of hidden calories and fat in them. KFC at least offers grilled chicken. For me the hardest is Mcdonalds. My bf has been having cravings for this place and I am like really. I would rather eat somewhere a little pricier and get something healthy.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    **LIKE****

this is what I use. I don't know how often or if ever that it gets updated but it's helped me so far. I try to avoid fast food but life gets in the way. Or i get cravings. haha good luck
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Go for VEGAN burgers :) They are yummy and they do look and taste like meat a bit. :) Im not vegan But it taste soooooooo good. or go for a salad or a whole wheat burger with just veggies in side :) Thats what i order when i go to harveys ecrt..
  • leelie86
    Options
    Hi! I have this problem too - I have a number of guy friends with those ridiculous metabolisms which means they eat whatever, all times of the day!! It's particularly hard to resist when you're watching other people eat, too. As it's generally not salad I'll be craving (I admire people who do, hat off!) so here's what I do: Yes, stick to grilled meat where ever possible. Avoid cheese, avoid mayonnaise. Something I've found to work quite well is to actually get a plain burger. So no sauce whatsoever. Makes you have to chew more :) And yes, water, always have water. That's generally a good idea after a night out anyway, and even if you're not craving it, I found you don't realise how dehydrated you can be until you start drinking it. What else... One of my guilty post-night-out pleasures is definitely the doner kebab. Get the veggie version, or with chicken, and leave out the flatbread. Eat with a fork if possible.

One of the most important things though: Don't beat yourself up about it. Everyone has those moments at some point. Walk home afterwards (if it's safe!!!) or just plan in a walk the next day. Be honest with your fitness pal and log it, no matter how frustrating a red number with a fat minus in front of it can be. I've noticed it has a great reinforcing method next time I'm picking my fast food meal.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    I hate when your going out with friends, then they go to a fast food restaurant! My friend and I even said we dont want fast food, lets go somewhere healthy, but the boys said no they want KFC. I need to find out whats the best thing you can eat when this kind of thing happens...I ended up having a fillet burger and regular coleslaw instead of what I used to get before trying to lose weight which was an ultimate burger meal or a burger with chips and soft drink, which i suppose is wayyy better but I still felt bad afterwards.

Any ideas?

Yes, grow a pair and tell the "boys" if they want to put poison in their bodies, that they can but you'd rather eat real food and let them do what they do and you do what you do.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

actually - this just recently happened... the woman and I who wanted to eat healthy, we left and went out on our own.... After about an hour, the other two joined us and asked us why we wouldnt stick around....

We reiterated to them that we wanted something healthy, and Wendy's is not the place where we can eat healthy (the preservatives in the salads, I get extremely sick... cant eat fruit, cant eat potatoes, their chili has additives that I cant digest, the rest is just garbage food!)...

The caloric detail in ONE of the meals they chose from Wendy's was the same as my dinner and my friend's dinner at a Mexican restaurant that makes everything fresh-from-scratch and made to order...... We even had leftovers to take home, too!
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for the replys everyone :)

and thanks Forme4real2, for that website, just had a quick look then, it looks good, ill have to have a better look later :)

hope everyone has a good day
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always just look up the restaraunt on mfp! Or there are several apps you can get for the calories to restaraunt! Or if you know you are going home or can go some where else later I just eat a small side salad or something small and get something later! ;)
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Thank you! this will be a life saver for me :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Fast food chains have their calorie info published. Look it up beforehand and work something out that fits into your day.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fast food chains have their calorie info published. Look it up beforehand and work something out that fits into your day.

I usually look things up myself, however, having all of these places on one website makes it much easier
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Any ideas?

Yes, grow a pair and tell the "boys" if they want to put poison in their bodies, that they can but you'd rather eat real food and let them do what they do and you do what you do.

What poison?
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely do a quick search online before leaving to see what your best options are. Also, if you want something on hand without going online, there are pocket references you can get at the bookstore - keep it in your desk and quickly flip through it before you and the boys leave. Or just opt out altogether. I'm sure they'll miss your company and choose a place you can all go to next time (Wendy's isn't too bad if you get a cup of chili or a half salad).