5lb gain in one week??

Options
A few months ago I was really serious about losing weight so I ate no more than 1200 cals per day and exercised a ton for about two months and lost about 11 pounds. I started eating more around 1500-1700 cals since I was just 3 pounds away from my goal and didn't do nearly as much working out..I thought this would make me maintain my weight! According to mfp I was still supposed to be losing 1 lb a week. So, I was really shocked/upset when after a month of eating more, my weight had shot up 7 pounds! I started working out a lot again and eating less and lost 2.5 in a week (last week).

Now, after Thanksgiving break I gained 5 pounds.... I really did not 5 pounds worth of extra calories.

Someone pleaseeeee tell me this is waterweight?!

Replies

• barefootgardener
    Options
    it could be water weight? are you close to your period? you could get your thyroid checked, that can be a culprit in weight gain.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No problem. It's waterweight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's most likely water weight. If you're close to your goal weight you should be eating a little more so that you can maintain a steady, but slow, loss of fat and so that your body won't rebound when you start eating more.
  • cinditree
    cinditree Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    could be muscle, or water weight from sodium, or TOM...do you take measurements at all. The extra calories may have allowed you to build some muscle. How do you feel?
  • GMPOTS
    GMPOTS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking diet soda? it makes you hold water.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    could be muscle, or water weight from sodium, or TOM...do you take measurements at all. The extra calories may have allowed you to build some muscle. How do you feel?

It's not muscle. You don't gain muscle overnight. So don't even let that enter your brain.

It's water weight from too much sodium, which makes sense because Thanksgiving is a sodium overload. Try increasing your water intake and it should go down.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    You ate more salt and are holding on to water. It will go away in 4-5 days.
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm superrrr irregular with my TOM, as in I almost never get it, so I doubt that's it. And I don't drink soda, so that can't be it either!
    I haven't taken my measurements since I lost those original 11...I guess I will tomorrow morning and see the difference.

Thanks for all the responses though!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    sodium! i went up 4 lbs. from thanksgiving, and i know it'll be back down in a few days. :)
  • isabellammm
    isabellammm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm just gonna trust y'all and hope its sodium! Thanks everyone :-)