elliptical question

Options
Is the elliptical a good workout? I know "they say" that you burn more calories on the elliptical than the treadmill, but when I do the elliptical, versus jogging on the treadmill I dont feel like Im working out as much. IE on the treadmill Im huffing and puffing and cant catch my breath, but on the elliptical Im just gliding along.... Am I really getting a good workout???

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's only better if you amp up the resistance! Try putting it on one of the preset workouts. I like 'hills' and 'aerobic trainer.' That usually gets my HR up into the 180's for a good 40 minutes.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machines do give a great workout and it's more of a full body workout. I find I use my back and abdominal muscles much more when I'm on the elliptical, as well as my arms.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    hmm elliptical is my *default* workout. You can get some good intervals going and even focus on different muscles. Whether you are going backwards, pulling/pushing with upper body, squat all the way down, on your toes, on your heels, things like that. I also grab a medicine ball or dumbells and it helps keep my HR up while getting a good burn. I get a pretty good workout when I have a *FACE OFF* with the treadmill, but the elliptical is more of a controlled workout for me.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The best way to know the answer to this is to buy a heart rate monitor! I always felt like I got the best workout on the arc trainer, but as it turns out, the best workout for me is on the elliptical. If I jog on the treadmill I'm huffing and puffing but I'm not actually burning much more than the elliptical. It could be way different for you though.
  • noeys
    noeys Posts: 56
    Options
    It's only better if you amp up the resistance! Try putting it on one of the preset workouts. I like 'hills' and 'aerobic trainer.' That usually gets my HR up into the 180's for a good 40 minutes.

I have been doing the "total body" workout that is preset in my elliptical machine.
  • noeys
    noeys Posts: 56
    Options
    The best way to know the answer to this is to buy a heart rate monitor! I always felt like I got the best workout on the arc trainer, but as it turns out, the best workout for me is on the elliptical. If I jog on the treadmill I'm huffing and puffing but I'm not actually burning much more than the elliptical. It could be way different for you though.

hmmm. ok.
    Yeah I had the body bugg, and know what Im burning on the elliptical, but IM returning it, and havent used it for the treadmill. I just assumed huffing and puffing meant burning more calories, but maybe not LOL!
  • renku
    renku Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If nothing elseI enjoy my elliptical for the feeling that maybe when I shed a few more pounds, I'll be able to run.