Smokers and running

Options
Okay, I've never had a smoker's cough or pain in my lungs when I exercise hard even though I smoked for 17 years. I ran a 5k just before Halloween in early morning coastal freezing air and didn't have a smidge of discomfort. Recently I quit smoking, about two weeks ago. I noticed within a couple of days that even though I never felt like I was struggling before, I felt better, like I was getting more oxygen than before. Sounds all good right? I thought so. The other morning, it was cool but not colder than the morning of my 5k. I started to run and my lungs felt like they were lit on fire. It hurt so bad I had to stop. What gives? I would think the pain would be present in a current smoker, not someone who has quit.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    You most certainly did a lot of damage to your lungs in those 17 years and 2 weeks is not a long time for any kind of recovery.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker and never have been and I still sound like a smoker after some runs. If you're lungs aren't used to it, if there are certain allergens in the air, etc...this can happen.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    You've only just quit recently though. There is that phase where you will cough up all kinds of nasty stuff (and it usually starts about a week or two after quitting). The good news is that your lungs are going to heal significantly if you keep abstaining from smoking. You may start to have discomfort in the coming days as well as yellow sputum. Totally normal.

If this persists, I would recommend seeing a doc. You may need short term inhalers (ventolin/atrovent) which you can use just before working out to open up your airway and relieve any inflammation for the duration of your workout.

Hope it gets better sooner than later!
  • jaydork24
    jaydork24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you're probably going through delayed withdrawal. and every smoker has had a problem present, whether physical or not. what's happening is now that you're trying to do your normal routine without smoking, your body now has time to catch up and give you hell for what's been happening. just give it time and take mucenex in the meantime to clear up the mucus. remember to drink plenty of water as well to keep your airways as clear as possible.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The first month that I quit. I had the worst cough. It does get better :)!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good for you for quitting AND taking up running! I think its just your lungs getting all that crap worked out of them. Don't give up. I gave up smoking and I am a runner now, too.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It could also be that sensation (feeling) is returning to your lungs after years of being numb. Try wearing a scarf on cooler days and congrats on quitting smoking! Good luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Your lungs have a lot of crap to get rid of. I smoked for about 20 years and quit 5 years ago. I was amazed at the amount of crap that came out over the several months after I quit. Congrats for quitting!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you just quit, the celia in your lungs are probably just starting to function again and they are getting some of the crap out of your lungs.

Don't get discouraged. It will get better.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker and never have been, however the feeling you are describing is familiar to me... When I go out in the cold air and walk fast (I don't run) my lungs always hurt. It's the reason I don't exercise outside in the winter anymore.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker and never have been, however the feeling you are describing is familiar to me... When I go out in the cold air and walk fast (I don't run) my lungs always hurt. It's the reason I don't exercise outside in the winter anymore.
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I figured it was something along these lines; it just confused me because cold weather didn't effect me like that before, and I certainly had no issues with lung pain when I did smoke.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for a while and it happened to me too. It feels like junks floating around your lungs and smothering you. I ran inside on the treadmill so it's not the weather alone.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. That's an awesome thing to do for yourself and your health.

I'm not a smoker (or a runner), but I'm guessing the junk in your lungs from years of smoking is slowly starting to break up and maybe this is what is causing the feeling your describing.

I hope it gets better. Keep up the good work!