Total Thyroidectomy?

Anyone else had one? Have you seen your thyroid levels change much with your new diet and exercise regimen?

Replies

• wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    I just had one june 21...i actually havent had my levels checked since i started this...but my blood pressure has gone down so much!! im only 19...but ive lost 11 pounds so im happy
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    I had one 5 years ago.
    I haven't had my levels checked since I've lost weight this time around but the last time I lost about 40 lbs and I definitely had to have my meds reduced.
  • Thanks for the feedback. When I was tested in March my levels had changed (I started diet & exercise plan in January). My Dr. felt that the new regimen was the reason why and is therefore sending me to get tested again in another 3 months so we can stay on top of it.
  • I just had one june 21...i actually havent had my levels checked since i started this...but my blood pressure has gone down so much!! im only 19...but ive lost 11 pounds so im happy

Never had a problem with blood pressure but saw a dramatic drop in my cholesterol levels. First time in about 10 years that I am at normal levels again!
  • noony956
    noony956 Posts: 2
    Hi, I haven't had a tota thyroidectomy but have an under active thyroid. I gained weight steadily for years and it has taken a long time for me to get it back under control again. I am on medication but not had it reduced, only raised.

I exercise (run) regularly, any other tips for me?
    Cheers :drinker:
    Noony956
  • dirtyblue
    dirtyblue Posts: 90
    I had a total Thyroidectomy in September. After my radiation therapy and all that BS I finally got my meds at a decent level in February. I will be going back in May to get my levels checked again, curious to see where they are at now. I have a big problem with my calcium levels, they ended up taking out two para-thyroid glands with my surgery, so my calcium is really low even though I take 3 calcium pills a day along with milk, cheese, cottage cheese etc.
  • I had a total Thyroidectomy in September. After my radiation therapy and all that BS I finally got my meds at a decent level in February. I will be going back in May to get my levels checked again, curious to see where they are at now. I have a big problem with my calcium levels, they ended up taking out two para-thyroid glands with my surgery, so my calcium is really low even though I take 3 calcium pills a day along with milk, cheese, cottage cheese etc.

That really stinks about the parathyroid glands. I was stuck in the hospital a couple extra days because it took so long for mine to recover. Countless calcium drips - not fun. I still need to take 2 pills a day.
  • I had a total T in 2009, and when I started losing weight, my levels changed and so I got to start taking a lower dose medicine. My parathyroid glands are still intact, but I believe they were damaged because I have issues with my calcium levels. It takes 4 600mg tabs a day to keep my calcium in a normal range. Whatever. At least I don't have cancer now. =D