How accurate is this site?

Options
Greeting all,
I'm new to this site/app and since I've been training I'm always looking for new ideas. At a minimum I cycle 10-15 miles a day and do a vigorous 2 hour beach PT 2 days a week with the future sailors of the US Navy. Since I started using this site I'm questioning how accurate this site calculates my daily calorie intake. I eat 3 squares a day and try as I might this site shows I should be eating 2000 calories due to exercises, but I'm only able to get around 700-800 a day. Before I started using this site, I've lost about 8lbs and 4 inches from my waist, my goal is to drop another 5-10lbs and 3-4 inches from my waist. I'm 180lbs 36 inch waist so not far from my goal of 170-175lbs. Does anyone feel the calculations are accurate?

Replies

• ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Do you weigh your food, are you sure you are accurately calculating your servings?
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Its pretty close. Its helped me a ton
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I never just assumed that this site is completely accurate when I started either. But in the first few weeks, I did my research and found that it's probably as close as you can get. Sometimes the calories are inaccurate so a few changes have been made. And the theory of 1200 cals as a minimum seems to be pretty standard thoughout the internet. 1200 is too low for me so I've modified my calories a bit and I feel much happier. As for exercise, I'm more inclined to follow what the machines at the gym tell me for calorie burn, rather than what is in the database.

All in all, it's a great site. It takes alot of work out of trying to keep track manually of what you've eaten and burned. I even said to my daughter this evening how greatful I am to have this site. :flowerforyou:
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about the calories burned portion of the website, which is why I am hoping for a heart rate monitor for hanukkah. Though, I will admit that other websites give similar estimates (such as mapmyrun.com for running). So yes, I would trust the website for estimates of generic workouts. It is when I do something specific like Turbo Fire or Insanity that I have a hard time using this website./

That being said, I find that the food items seem to be extremely accurate. From time to time, I check them against the ingredients on a package and find it to be entirely accurate.

As for being accurate on calculating the amount of calories you SHOULD be consuming, it is also very close. I have checked it against a calculator by the CDC as well as calculations in Insanity's workout guide and a calculation given to me in my biochemistry class this fall in medical school. all the estimates are within 100-150 calories of each other.
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is the best site I have found. Aside from a personal fitness monitor, like an hrm, the site is as close a guess as possible for exercises. As for food calories, the site allows for individuals to post calories, so there are several counts for what appear to be the same or similar foods. MFP could improve on that, but you just have to do your homework. This site has helped me to lose quite a few lbs and inches.
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    I haven't weighed any food, nor do I know exactly how many calories are in my meals that's why I wanted to us this site. My day starts with either a half a grapefruit & a banana, glass of OJ or I'll have a 2 egg white omlete. Followed by a 10-15 mile bike ride then a small salad for lunch and a lite dinner (tonight was small amount of spegetti w/ sauce & a salad). As I stated I'm not sure of the numbers but I know I'm getting the results I wanted. I also only eat fish or chicken, fruits & vegetables, no red meat, no junk food.
  • jozak78
    jozak78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it sounds to me like you are either starving yourself or underestimating the amount of food you are eating, and from the amount of exercise you say you get I'd bet on the latter. Don't be to suprised by that though, 2 things I've noticed is that a lot of people are pretty poor at estimating how much they are actually eating, and the other is you need to make sure that you are entering the correct item. For instance there is a big difference between entering the first coca-cola that comes up which might be an 8 ounce serving when you actually drank a 20 ounce bottle.

As mentioned before a scale and a measuring cups can be very valuable especially in the beginning until you get used to estimating what your intake is or at the very least knowing how much a particular vessel will hold.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    The site is as accurate as you make it. If you measure your servings carefully and the like it is very accurate.

If the question is, "Are the amount of calories it says you should eat accurate." The answer is yes. For a male of your age and weight needs a lot more than 800 calories a day even if completely sedentary. You are basically starving yourself, and while that will take weight off it causes negative changes in your hormone levels that can make is very difficult to keep the weight you lost off. For what you say you do, 2000 calories is at the low end of what I would expect you to eat.
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    Reason I question how accurate the calculations are is because I only eat the 3 squares a day in preparation for boot camp. Not knowing the numbers I depend on what it suggest for the type of food I input. While I'm not looking to drop a lot of weight, I'd like to have an idea of what I'm doing. As for what I've already lost, I've had no problem keeping it off or continuing to reduce my body fat. I think it should be known I look to reduce my body fat percent, not so much dropping the overall weight.
  • Semperfione
    Options
    Oh their good enough to bring you thru some pretty tough days, and lose 59 lbs in a few months. Its all up to what yu want to do so good luck...
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ok, future sailor. Gloves off. To prepare, you need to eat your 3 squares, every single calorie recommended by MFP. As for exercise, run your *kitten* off. Leave the bike in the garage. Do a second session every other day of squats, push-ups, burpees, and pullups until you cry. If they don't make you cry, ratchet up the intensity via px90 or Maxworkouts or insanity. Then you'll be ready. Everything else is just talk. Ooh Rah. Period.
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    Hooyah! coolcat.
    I do around 100 push-up/sit-ups a day, run 1.5 miles atleast once a week but cycle every day. When I PT twice a week its with future spec, a very intense 2 hour minimum beach PT (burpees, army crawl, flutter kicks, push-ups, buddy carry) to name a few. Exercise isn't the problem, trust me I've puked a few times & done push-ups until I couldn't lift my car keys. I know I'm taking in more than the 800 calories this site is calculating, but not knowing the actual numbers is why I've tried this site. From what everyone has said it's pretty good so I'll need to learn to adjust my own calculations. HOOYAH!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If what you typed above (fruit or egg whites for breakfast, salad for lunch, etc.) is all you're eating in a day, 800 calories is actually about right. And not NEARLY enough protein to get you the fat loss + muscle preservation/building you say you want. Just sayin'. When you starve your body of the nutrients and calories it needs to keep up with your exercise, it robs your muscles to get what it needs to function. You may be losing weight, but it's probably not fat that you're losing. If you eat more, and make sure you get plenty of lean protein and complex carbs, you'll probably find yourself feeling better and getting fitter.
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    Since I've started training I don't feel weak or anything to that effect, I actually feel strong as ever. Again, I look to reduce my BMI (body fat percent) not so much looking for weight loss. For my age I should be in the range of 8-19% and I'm currently at 19%, having always used weights from my teens thru my 20's I've always been short & stocky. Now I'm not allowed to use weights due to the fact it adds mass, I only strength train, ect. So I guess I'm more in a tone down faze to lose the bulk, if that makes any since. Of course I'm using military standards to judge my needed goal according to my height & measurement. As I prepare to ship out I want to be in tip top shape.
    I thank everyone for there input, & wish you all the best of luck with your endeavors.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You're clearly not eating enough! 700-800 isn't enough for a woman, let alone for a man that exercises! Remember you need fuel to keep your body working properly... I suggest upping cals (to at least 1500 cals a day but check what MFP recommends for you) and sticking to clean foods. :)
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you.

Here is a sample of what I cook for my spouse who is eating around 2200 cal per day.

Breakfast
    2 whole eggs
    2 oz homemade pork breakfast sausage ( I make our sausage so I control the fat content and salt)
    1 cup multi grain hot cereal with about 20 dried cranberries & 1 Tablespoon of honey
    1 cup 2% milk

Lunch
    5oz grilled chicken breast
    2 slices high fiber bread
    4 slices of tomato
    2 large lettuce leaves
    1 slice of cheddar cheese
    1 bag of tortilla chips (cuz he just LOVES them)
    1 apple
    1 banana
    1 sack of 12 almonds, 15 cashews, about 20 dried cranberries, about 20 raisins
    6 oz lowfat plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of homemade jelly

Dinner
    2 small baked potatoes
    1 cup homemade from scratch beef sloppy joes
    1/4 cup shredded cheese
    3 cups steamed broccoli
    2 cups lettuce
    1 whole tomato
    1 inch feta cheese
    1.5 tablespoons of homemade Italian salad dressing

that is what 2200 calories looks like. Yum? All homemade, granted so the calorie content is dense and there is little added sodium.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I check website nutritional facts if something doesnt look right in MFP.
    I'd give it about an 80%.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose much weight and mainly want to drop body fat, eating more is even more important.

You're already quite lean, so you don't have enough excess body fat to "feed" that big of a calorie deficit. People end up losing muscle mass when they do very low calorie diets. Make sure you're not trying to lose any more than .5# a week, eat all your calories, get a LOT more protein than the site suggests, strength train, and you'll lose fat instead of muscle.

I'm a 39 year old 125-130# woman, not nearly as active as you are, and I was losing eating between 1800-2000 calories a day.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Hooyah! coolcat.
    I do around 100 push-up/sit-ups a day, run 1.5 miles atleast once a week but cycle every day. When I PT twice a week its with future spec, a very intense 2 hour minimum beach PT (burpees, army crawl, flutter kicks, push-ups, buddy carry) to name a few. Exercise isn't the problem, trust me I've puked a few times & done push-ups until I couldn't lift my car keys. I know I'm taking in more than the 800 calories this site is calculating, but not knowing the actual numbers is why I've tried this site. From what everyone has said it's pretty good so I'll need to learn to adjust my own calculations. HOOYAH!

Why don't you post everything you eat for a day in a message and tell us what MFP says it comes to. Just a suggestion, try if possible to use the food entries that do not have an * beside them. The ones with an * are entered by users and some of them are wrong. If you are using one with an * either confirm it is correct comparing it to the label, or use one that has several confirmations.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Oh you could make you food diary public.