Do you ever feel like your body fails you?

Options
So when I started this journey I was good, working hard, and then bam my right knee flares and low and behold I have arthritis. After two months of pt and a cortisone shot later I was feeling better and got to go a full 3 months without problems. Then in October I developed bursitis and tendinitis in my right shoulder. That is better, but still healing and my left knee now has arthritis. It is so frustrating that I am trying to be the healthiest person I can be, but my body breaks down on me. I am only 29 for the love of pearl!
-Vent over. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No, not really, though I feel like I've failed it a few times. Carrying extra weight is pretty poor treatment... then, after being sedentary for a (long!) period, we start exercising and expect our body to just perform as if we've been fueling it with nothing but the best. I can totally agree that injuries are super frustrating, but I certainly can't say I feel like my body is failing; I owe it an apology!

I'm generally amazed that, even if it comes with some pain, my body will pretty much do whatever I ask it to, eventually.
  • SandyCurrier
    Options
    Boy does it!! Im quite a bit older, and diabetic to boot...
    my problem is working out, Now its dropping my level too far, whats next?
    After today, I am going to have to limit my workouts and eat more,
    I havent been eating enough I guess..

I guess we all break down somewhat, but seems you are much too young!
    My daughter is 38 and beginning to have complaints too..

With all honesty, all I can say is watch yourself, do what you have to do, but
    do also what you need to keep your body healthy, please!
    God Bless and Good Luck to you in your journey!
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain and frustration, so sorry. I have ulcerative colitis, which can cause early onset of arthritis and inflammation. I am working through some bursitis on my femur bone urgh and arthritis in my lower spine. No impact exercises or running for me. I'll be damned if I'm going to stop now. Hang in there and don't give up it will get better.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I so feel your pain and frustration, so sorry. I have ulcerative colitis, which can cause early onset of arthritis and inflammation. I am working through some bursitis on my femur bone urgh and arthritis in my lower spine. No impact exercises or running for me. I'll be damned if I'm going to stop now. Hang in there and don't give up it will get better.
    I am the same way. I am not giving up that's for sure. I've become a big fan of Bengay and Salonpas as well as icing! Good luck to you hun!
  • alikat5544
    Options
    Honestly? No, not really, though I feel like I've failed it a few times. Carrying extra weight is pretty poor treatment... then, after being sedentary for a (long!) period, we start exercising and expect our body to just perform as if we've been fueling it with nothing but the best. I can totally agree that injuries are super frustrating, but I certainly can't say I feel like my body is failing; I owe it an apology!

I'm generally amazed that, even if it comes with some pain, my body will pretty much do whatever I ask it to, eventually.

I agree that it's partly my fault for letting my weight get so high.:( They tell you though that losing 1 pound is like 4 pounds of pressure off of your knees, so I've taken 136 pounds of pressure off and my other knee has flared. I didn't think this would be easy, but like many I didn't think my own body would cause delays in my weight loss.
  • alikat5544
    Options
    Boy does it!! Im quite a bit older, and diabetic to boot...
    my problem is working out, Now its dropping my level too far, whats next?
    After today, I am going to have to limit my workouts and eat more,
    I havent been eating enough I guess..

I guess we all break down somewhat, but seems you are much too young!
    My daughter is 38 and beginning to have complaints too..

With all honesty, all I can say is watch yourself, do what you have to do, but
    do also what you need to keep your body healthy, please!
    God Bless and Good Luck to you in your journey!
    Thanks and I agree I am way too young. Maybe I am just getting this all over with at a young age so I don't have to deal with it when I am older...
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't as bad as yours but I get drastic drops in mileage at times if my legs are too tired!
  • laFuerte
    laFuerte Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally hear ya! there are days when i get up and just the walk down to the kitchen(via stairs) is enough to keep me home from the gym. i also work on my feet so no rest for the wicked LOL! I have heal spurs and i have had my share of cortisone shots. I try to really kick it on the good days and also learn to love the way a decent workout sorta hurts. i ran in my neighborhood the other night and wow is it different than being at the gym :) But in the end>>> keep it up! as you continue to loose those joints will not be under as much physical weight and that will (hopefully) be working in the right direction. :bigsmile:
  • alikat5544
    Options
    I totally hear ya! there are days when i get up and just the walk down to the kitchen(via stairs) is enough to keep me home from the gym. i also work on my feet so no rest for the wicked LOL! I have heal spurs and i have had my share of cortisone shots. I try to really kick it on the good days and also learn to love the way a decent workout sorta hurts. i ran in my neighborhood the other night and wow is it different than being at the gym :) But in the end>>> keep it up! as you continue to loose those joints will not be under as much physical weight and that will (hopefully) be working in the right direction. :bigsmile:
    Thanks! It's inspiring to know that others work through the pain :)
  • springfield5780
    Options
    Oh My Gosh do I ever! I am 31 and have been in the bed all week nursing (AKA been drugged to the gills) "muscular-skeletal" issues in my back. Getting up I moan sitting down I moan rolling over I moan breathe too deep I moan LOL Its crazy! My mom said well you are getting older GRRRRR. I don't feel as old as my body feels! I think my children have got some sort of hex on me! I was playing football with them when I hurt my back. I did something to my left knee playing with them another time in a bouncy house type thing...it bounced and my knee locked....it was not pleasant! I think I will just play by myself from now on LOL
  • alikat5544
    Options
    Oh My Gosh do I ever! I am 31 and have been in the bed all week nursing (AKA been drugged to the gills) "muscular-skeletal" issues in my back. Getting up I moan sitting down I moan rolling over I moan breathe too deep I moan LOL Its crazy! My mom said well you are getting older GRRRRR. I don't feel as old as my body feels! I think my children have got some sort of hex on me! I was playing football with them when I hurt my back. I did something to my left knee playing with them another time in a bouncy house type thing...it bounced and my knee locked....it was not pleasant! I think I will just play by myself from now on LOL
    31 is not old! We shouldn't be this fragile yet. Hope you feel better :)
  • brokenbodyandsoul
    Options
    I twisted my knee playing soccer at the age of 24. I'm now 27 and living at home with my parents. I lost my job, my social life, my girlfriend, and pretty much all self-esteem because my leg forgot how to walk. So, yes I know what it feels like to have your body fail you and cause you to lose things. I'm not able to have a normal job and other employers are not willing to help me with my disability because I'm not disabled according to doctors. I spend my time thinking about how to kill myself, cutting myself, punching myself in the face
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I am so amazed and my body and very grateful that I have the body I have. It deserves my respect!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yep. Have tendonitis in my left elbow. Starting to get a small flare up in my left knee and my hips generally crack around a lot.