birthday gift ideas for my boyfriend

Options
fatty2fabby
fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
grr im so angry. im just out of college and so broke! i really cant afford to buy him anything this year which kills me because hes done SO much for me for the past year.

I'm making him a nice breakfast and lunch to take to work and making a nice dinner for him when he comes home, and dessert of course :wink: .

we've been together for 5 years. hes turning 24
he an air traffic controller, he loves planes (duh), loves football, (arsenal is his team), most sports, playing xbox, beer etc...

i was thinking of ringing / emailing this football radio station he listens to everyday, asking them to give him a birthday shout out but im not sure...grrr
any other ideas? xx

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I remember my mother saying it must be love when I knitted a jumper for my then boyfriend, now husband of 27+ years. Why not show him how much you love him by making him something special.
  • calamityshell
    Options
    When i was broke last year I made my boyfriend 12 vouchers (one a month - or however he wants to spend them). Try googling make your own vouchers and you can come up with your own. Mine varied from him picking what to watch on telly, me taking him out for dinner, him gaming all night (likes his PS3 and normally waits for me to go to bed) to more 'personal' ones. He loved it as he felt he was getting presents all through out the year.

Whatever you do I am sure he will love it and as long as you are together that is all the counts :)
  • AliDarling
    Options
    for my hubbys bday he loves xbox, male bonding thing i guess, i made a cake and cut it into an xbox controller. those hard candies and some icing for controllers
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The coupon idea is always a winner. Maybe you could make dinner a romantic candlelit picnic. I remember one year setting up a treasure hunt with a picnic dinner as the surprise. Believe it or not, guys like stuff like that too.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Make him a lovely dinner and then give him a nice massage with some warm oil. No man will resist this from top to toe treat lol x
  • FatSlowTriathlete
    Options
    He knows your situation, so anything that makes him feel appreciated he will love, especially from you. The dinner sounds great. Add in a movie on the DVD (one of HIS faves) and I think you're fine. Guys, for the most part, are pretty simple. We don't need "items". Just need to know our efforts and support are appreciated. The rest comes with time.
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    set up a "massage table" in your room or w/e and give him a great back massage and what not.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for all of the suggestions everyone!! :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Write him a letter expressing how much he has come to mean to you in the last five years. You could even buy an inexpensive frame or put it in one of those multi-frames with a collage of you guys from the past five years.

Gifts from the heart are always better than "things" (IMHO)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Guys really only want one thing as a gift. And it doesn't even need to be wrapped.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Guys really only want one thing as a gift. And it doesn't even need to be wrapped.

Ummm....agree....lol........I bought my hubby Patriots tickets one year. He loved them. However....the ONLY thing he asks for, ever, every single year, is a lap dance....lmao
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Well my suggestion was actually only implying what was to follow the treasure hunt/candlelit picnic. LOL!
  • brett1117
    Options
    If you're asking other people Bday gift ideas from people who never met your bf then you're in a little bit of trouble.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Welcome him home by answering the door in one of his white button down shirts, and nothing else....
  • harvo
    Options

Ummm....agree....lol........I bought my hubby Patriots tickets one year. He loved them. However....the ONLY thing he asks for, ever, every single year, is a lap dance....lmao

^^^^^ this FOR SURE!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love the voucher idea too. You know the boyfriend better than anyone, so you can put things on those vouchers that you know he would really appreciate!

It's been around for awhile, but think about which of the five "love languages" he prefers to 'speak'--gifts, quality time, words of affirmation, touch, acts of service. If you don't know about the five love languages, do some research. Guys, in general, are big into touch (obvious reasons) but my guy is also a "quality time" kind of person. I am an "acts of service". I have to remind myself to 'speak his language' to really show him I love him--he doesn't value the big fancy dinner and whatnot as much as me spending an hour or two just focused on him and being with him. Find out what is big for your guy and work on speaking his "language".

and harvo, I think my hubby would love your "button down shirt" idea. Mine has a few shirts in the "give away" pile that no longer fit him right. i may have to pilfer one of those...
  • harvo
    Options
    I love the voucher idea too. You know the boyfriend better than anyone, so you can put things on those vouchers that you know he would really appreciate!

It's been around for awhile, but think about which of the five "love languages" he prefers to 'speak'--gifts, quality time, words of affirmation, touch, acts of service. If you don't know about the five love languages, do some research. Guys, in general, are big into touch (obvious reasons) but my guy is also a "quality time" kind of person. I am an "acts of service". I have to remind myself to 'speak his language' to really show him I love him--he doesn't value the big fancy dinner and whatnot as much as me spending an hour or two just focused on him and being with him. Find out what is big for your guy and work on speaking his "language".

and harvo, I think my hubby would love your "button down shirt" idea. Mine has a few shirts in the "give away" pile that no longer fit him right. i may have to pilfer one of those...

Bless you and the work you do..... :blushing:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    We were young and broke once.
    I know of a special gift involving a fabulous diner at home followed by romance, including a back rub.
    The best things in life are free!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Think he'd love the radio station idea and the vouchers sound great! X
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Scotch......sex......scotch......

Repeat...Repeat...Repeat