Worst ever christmas/birthday/whatever present!

Options
Kirsty_UK
Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
What's the worst present you've ever been given?

Last christmas, I got a fake rock, with a cat painted on it from my mum. It wasn't even a good painting of a cat. It was hideous. I dont even know what it was for, probably a paperweight or something. My sister got one as well, and managed to sell hers on ebay!

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I was given some hideous boots last year. REALLY UGLY. They were a style I would normally never wear, then on top of that they had BIRDS EMBROIDERED ONTO THEM! Who buys those??!!! Seriously? Mother-In-Laws "D
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Our first Christmas together my then boyfriend, now husband bought me a can opener. It actually was kind of sweet because it was one of those fancy ones that leaves no sharp edges and he bought it for me because he didn't want me to hurt myself.. but I'd been hinting pretty strongly that I wanted diamond or pearl earrings.

I've been buying my own gifts from him ever since -- except the one time he actually did surprise me with pearls on my birthday.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Underwear at a family gathering (you know with a ton of people you barely know) at the ripe age of 13 lol
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    One year, before I became a fitness addict, my husband's Christmas gift to me was an elliptical machine :cry: I couldn't help but wonder what he was trying to tell me since I DIDN'T ask for one.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Every year, before she passed away, my wife's Grandmother would give something odd for Christmas. I usually got a hardback Reader's Digest. Many years old from her book shelf.

She never went out and bought anything. She always wrapped something of hers up in newspaper and gave it as a gift. I got about half a dozen Reader's Digests over the years. When my youngest was about 5, she got a pair of used ear rings from Great Grandma. Gaudy clip ons that weighed about a pound apiece.

I am going to stop short of saying "the worst". Just impractical, but given with love.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    his and hers matching tropical shirts, bright orange and white....EEEEKKKK!!!!!!!!!!
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    once my mum got me a pack of underwear that was size 14-16 when I was an 8 at the time. I said politely that she appeared to have picked up the wrong size and do you know what she said? She said I'd grow into them!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    worst: It's hard to say there were a LOT of really bad gifts. Probably the $100 gift card to Express when I was 9 months pregnant and 200lbs.
    Best: Last year I got the diamond studs I have wanted FOREVER, not even sure why I wanted them so bad but I did.
  • pwkennedy
    pwkennedy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My then 2 year old son received a mini rocking chair from Grannie (bless her). Unfortunately, it was a build it yourself model which just slotted together very poorly and was extremely rickety. It had a very shiny, slippery finish which made it difficult to sit on and stay on. Finally it was not well balanced and would topple over if you knelt on it and tried to rock back and forth - which my son obviously wanted to do.

Took a couple of pictures of it "in use" for Grannie and then consigned it to the garage. Too dangerous to offer to anyone else in my view. Might make good firewood but given all the other problems, I suspect we'd find that the super smooth finish contained some toxic chemical which was released when burnt.
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I got a cardigan from my mother a few years ago that was black but had been knitted with that wool that has the odd strand of something shiney in it. Then it had pom poms all over it! Never wore it. No idea what happened to it
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Baby Shower Gift:

I won one of those games...you know...guess how round the expecting mother is with a piece of string. :noway:

My gift comes to me in a Home Interiors box. I was super excited seeing how the other gifts were pretty awesome. I open the box to see what I won. It opens with the plate face down. I flip it over....

It is a crystal plate of the Last Supper...:huh:
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    An alarm clock and some TV trays...all for the same Christmas. Husband has yet to live that one down.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything my mother in law bought me up until a few years ago. She seems to be able to find the most unusual gaudy scarves and for some reason she buys them for me, i never wear scarves. They have all itched and one even gave me a rash! since i started my weight loss journey, hubby has been able to hint at clothing vouchers to her so i can treat myself to something smaller, she is also always on at me about my weight..........Can i wrap her up for someone for christmas :laugh:
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I once got a water jug you slot in the fridge from my then Boyfriend. He is now an ex lol x
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Last year my ex-flatmate 'bought' (I use inverted commas as I think she received it as a gift and didn't want it) me an ornamental Buddha. I am not Buddhist, I hate ornaments and it was dreadfully ugly.

My other worst presents make me smile, as despite being 36, my Mum still gives me a stocking at Christmas. With a satsuma, and various lotions and potions she's bought herself over the year, and decided she doesn't like. So I get half-full pots of face cream, half-used nail varnish, etc.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not a bad gift per se but my Mother-in-law to this day (she's been in my life 17 years) thinks I'm a size small. One year it was a workout outfit that cost well over $100 (I looked it up). Last year I exchanged the gift and got 3 things in its place (LL Bean). I gently told her that I'm not a S and my husband is not a M. It's sweet...she thinks I'm a wee little girl. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    My MIL was a pretty bad gift-giver before her stroke. There were many over the years but for some reason what really stands out to me are the empty boxes I got one year. They were little cardboard boxes you store photos in. Not even cute ones, just dark green. :indifferent: The best part was the next year she gave me the exact same thing. :huh:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My supervisor gave me a pair of gold earrings once. She said, "I noticed you never wear gold jewelry, so I thought you needed a pair of gold earrings!" You'd think the fact that I don't wear gold would be a clue that I don't like it... Did she think I was too poor to afford it? Too dumb to know I wanted it? It was a nice gift but I've always been puzzled about her logic.
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband bought me an iron - not even a good one. It affirmed my place in his eyes as the housekeeper only in the relationship. As I said, he's my EX-husband now.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Every single year my girlfriend at work buys me either holiday jewelry and/or cat themed jewelry. Last year it was cats wearing santa claus hats earrings. Just not my style!