Suggestions for excerises that can be done in an apartment

Options
Hi Folks,
There are days that I dont have the energy to drive myself to the gym to work out for 30 mins, so I rather do them at home. So I got Insanity and unfortunately, my neighbors downstairs complained of all the noise coming from just doing jumping jacks! So I had to return the DVD.
Got any suggestions on stuff ( other than squats, lunges, push ups and weight training) that I could do in an apartment and be a good neighbor?

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Go running in the parking lot or around the block.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    P90X isn't as much jumping around and stuff......I lost 30 pounds with that. But you know what? **** them! You can do what you need to do in your apartment. They can't complain about your workouts if they are within reasonable hours of the day and hey.....if they dont like apartment living, they can LEAVE!!! Get your workout on hun! Screw em!!
  • MissDiscipline
    Options
    30DS! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You could try a dancing video or Zumba - I haven't jumped around with those and they may not be so hard for your neighbors to listen to. You can also go up and down the stairs in the apartment for exercise. Unless they come out to look at you, they won't know to complain about you!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    P90X isn't as much jumping around and stuff......I lost 30 pounds with that. But you know what? **** them! You can do what you need to do in your apartment. They can't complain about your workouts if they are within reasonable hours of the day and hey.....if they dont like apartment living, they can LEAVE!!! Get your workout on hun! Screw em!!

:drinker:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I 2nd it!
  • MissDiscipline
    Options

30DS has a lot of jumping to get the heartrate up but on level 3 she uses a move, I think it's called the mountain climber(?anyone?), I've substituted the "cardio" part with that because I have roommates and don't want to disturb them :)
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jillian-Michael-s-6-Piece-Dumbbell-Power-Set-with-Stand/15188971

Get these and go through the dvd. Dumbbells can tone every part of your body darn near.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 day shred
    Biggest Loser DVDs
    I agree with walking/jogging around the complex.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    I love doing my aerobic step with 1kg hand weights while I watch TV!! :)
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Amen! Sooo glad i have my own home.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing videos and tae bo are good for getting your heart rate up without a ton of jumping around.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, I live above a massage and beauty salon so they need soothing music and a spa environemt for their clients - then there's me doing noisy cardio and exercise right above them!

However, as long as it is within reasonable hours (which should be clearly stated in your contract, usually between 9am - 11pm) then just go for it.

Single jacks is a good start for living room cardio or get the heart rate up by running up and down the stairs for 5 minutes then go straight into the strength and resistance in your home? Good luck!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I applaude you for wanting to be a good neighbor, very few folks are these days! :flowerforyou:

However if the noise is between 7am and 9pm, and it is limited to say 45mins to 1 hour, I would go ahead with it, and maybe just explain to your neighbors that you need to exercise and that it would be a limited timeframe.

I can totally understand having been a downstair tennant before, and when the jumping and whatnot goes on for hours and you cannot enjoy your evening, then it is not a wonderful thing to have to listen to booming music or booming noise for lenghtly periodsof time.

My thoughts are to just explain to them the situation, they may be very understanding.

I have my own home but I can tell you most folks are not very curtious. I have a next door neighbor that has a bog that barks for 2 -3hrs straight most mornings beginning at 5 am ! Dog owners seems to think that is ok, which it is not, but their is little you can do about these things when you do not live within city limits, county regulations are very very lax.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Get a mini-trampoline..... easy on the joints and neighbors below. Although I'm in a house I enjoy using it while watching TV. I also use the Kettlebell and that gets the heart up.
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about pilates when you cannot get out.you can google it .
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If your apartment building is tall enough, run those stairs...over and over. You're not disturbing as many people in the stairwell and it's a great workout when you can't get outside.
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. You should be able to do those without making too much noise.
  • svetlana_vs
    Options
    bump