First Meeting With a Trainer....

Options
Ive belonged to my gym for roughly 6 or 7 years- they offer three free sessions with a trainer, so after all this time, I decided to take advantage of it. Im just curious how y'all would agree or disagree with what I was told.

A) No matter how much you work out, or how vigorously, or how perfect a workout is, if you dont eat right all the time, its pointless to workout. ( the example he gave was working out 'perfect' for one week and then hitting Taco Bell for one meal- you've just undone everything you did all week) :huh:

B) You should never eat carbs after about 3-4 in the afternoon, this will only make you gain weight.

C) Its a waste of time to do cardio before weights in any workout

D) Machines such as elliptical, treadmill, bikes, etc. are not very good excercise- its much better to use your body, such as step aerobics, pilates, dance classes, kickboxing, etc.

E) For any kind of weight loss, you should NOT eat the calories you burn ( this was a specific question I had for him) I asked him about eating 1800 cals, burning 500, he said, stick with 1800 no matter how much you burn :grumble: He said for any weight loss, the fewer calories the better. :mad: Hello, eating disorder!

F) The ONLY time you should eat any carbs is first thing in the morning.

G) While its not a bad idea to go with what works for your own body, its usually better to enlist the help of a professional and follow someone else's 'plan' because they've studied the science and worked with people just like me.

H) Regardless of how much you workout, weightloss and general health/fitness can only be achieved though really healthy eating ALL the time.

I) it takes years to establish healthy lifestyle changes & healthy habits. :huh:

J) Sites such as MFP and others generally do more harm than good because its not tracking overall healthy eating :noway: and doesnt account for general overall health.:huh:

K) Plateaus are caused primarily from the person getting careless/lazy about eating and/or working out. :grumble:

I was less than thrilled with him.
The overall thing that got me was because I'm not 22 years old and a size two he quite obviously assumed I had never set foot in a gym, gone for a walk or done any excercise, nor had I ever paid attention to my eating habits. :explode: It was so degrading. He completely disregarded the fact that I had done quite of lot to improve health/fitness levels on my own for quite some time.
For the fist time in 6 or 7 years, I left the gym feeling older and fatter than I ever have. I know he's a trainer and heath is his field, but I disagreed with so much of what he said. I was also hoping to be motivated by a trainer and get some new insights to working out- got just the opposite. Frustrated, feeling hopeless and even more confused

At the very end, he tells me he's 'almost certified'. :grumble:
It makes me wonder how many people like me have been totally turned off fitness/excercise because of people like him and his attitude.

I cant decide if I should go back and ask for a different trainer or skip the whole idea altogether- I'm all for getting some new tricks and hints and ways to improve my workouts, but not at the cost my my sanity!

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ive belonged to my gym for roughly 6 or 7 years- they offer three free sessions with a trainer, so after all this time, I decided to take advantage of it. Im just curious how y'all would agree or disagree with what I was told.

A) No matter how much you work out, or how vigorously, or how perfect a workout is, if you dont eat right all the time, its pointless to workout. ( the example he gave was working out 'perfect' for one week and then hitting Taco Bell for one meal- you've just undone everything you did all week) :huh:

B) You should never eat carbs after about 3-4 in the afternoon, this will only make you gain weight.

C) Its a waste of time to do cardio before weights in any workout

D) Machines such as elliptical, treadmill, bikes, etc. are not very good excercise- its much better to use your body, such as step aerobics, pilates, dance classes, kickboxing, etc.

E) For any kind of weight loss, you should NOT eat the calories you burn ( this was a specific question I had for him) I asked him about eating 1800 cals, burning 500, he said, stick with 1800 no matter how much you burn :grumble: He said for any weight loss, the fewer calories the better. :mad: Hello, eating disorder!

F) The ONLY time you should eat any carbs is first thing in the morning.

G) While its not a bad idea to go with what works for your own body, its usually better to enlist the help of a professional and follow someone else's 'plan' because they've studied the science and worked with people just like me.

H) Regardless of how much you workout, weightloss and general health/fitness can only be achieved though really healthy eating ALL the time.

I) it takes years to establish healthy lifestyle changes & healthy habits. :huh:

J) Sites such as MFP and others generally do more harm than good because its not tracking overall healthy eating :noway: and doesnt account for general overall health.:huh:

K) Plateaus are caused primarily from the person getting careless/lazy about eating and/or working out. :grumble:

I was less than thrilled with him.
    The overall thing that got me was because I'm not 22 years old and a size two he quite obviously assumed I had never set foot in a gym, gone for a walk or done any excercise, nor had I ever paid attention to my eating habits. :explode: It was so degrading. He completely disregarded the fact that I had done quite of lot to improve health/fitness levels on my own for quite some time.
    For the fist time in 6 or 7 years, I left the gym feeling older and fatter than I ever have. I know he's a trainer and heath is his field, but I disagreed with so much of what he said. I was also hoping to be motivated by a trainer and get some new insights to working out- got just the opposite. Frustrated, feeling hopeless and even more confused

At the very end, he tells me he's 'almost certified'. :grumble:
    It makes me wonder how many people like me have been totally turned off fitness/excercise because of people like him and his attitude.

I cant decide if I should go back and ask for a different trainer or skip the whole idea altogether- I'm all for getting some new tricks and hints and ways to improve my workouts, but not at the cost my my sanity!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Holy crap, that's discouraging.

Ditch this guy... he's feeding you a load of B.S. and making you feel like crap in the process - he does not deserve his title!

I personally disagreed to some extent with just about everything on that list... And you've lost weight, too... so it's not like you haven't figured out what works and what doesn't. Jeez... some of those things sound ridiculous.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. :flowerforyou: Don't let him get to you. You've done a great job so far!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Wow he sounds just plain mean! Not eating carbs after 3 or 4? No treadmill? If those machines did NO good than why are they so popular and why do they work for other people!? Unfortunately personal trainers only need a certification that is required by the gym, so every place is different. There is nothing that they have to get from the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine). He sounds like he doesn't know what hes talking about, and the fact that he didn't even motivate you is just sad. I'd say try someone else since its free and if its just as bad do what you think is right, GOOD LUCK!

~Leash :heart:
  • angelascott919
    Options
    It does seem that some trainers are full of themselves and think they know everything when they really don't. They don't care about your body and what has worked for you in the past. Only what they think they know.

In my opinion I think you should talk to the management at the gym about this guy. Maybe they don't know what he is telling their clients.

Keep going to your gym and doing what you know has worked for you so far. If you see another trainer that you think you can work with as to work with them. It might take a couple of tries to find the right trainer (someone who will listen to you).
  • missyt78
    missyt78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WOW wat a fantastic motivational trainer the gym has :laugh: :laugh: I think i may just sign up lol:laugh:

Its clear that his "Nearly Certified" status has not equiped him for the diversity of clients who want to embark on fitness programmes within ur area. And this makes me wonder why this "nearly certified" instructor giving out sessions within a Gym setting where his wisdom may put clients at risk, not only from injusry to physical self but also emotional turmoil and as you say encourage eating/excercising disorders!....Maybe he is the reason you get 3free sessions with a trainer. lol:laugh: :laugh:

I would speak to the gym management, explain why you are disapointed and if they have any kind of standard and sturctures in place they will look at his attitude and his motivations behind his role within the gym.... and maybe even get you a few extra sessions free of charge with a "fully certified" trainer.. who embraces the fact that regardless of age/ability/gender/looks its never too late to make a change.

Good luck hun.:bigsmile:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If that is not how you lose weight, I don't know what has happened to 40 lbs. I have been doing it all wrong. Your trainer was probably young and as you said ALMOST certified. He may have been intimidated by you using MFP as a tool when he felt it should be all about him.

You have already lost weight, so you know what you are doing and it obviously works for you.

I have been watching the trainers at my gym and I have one picked out for when I have lost more weight and need to get a more intense workout. There are quite a few whose style will not work for me.

Go for another trainer and forget what that bozo told you
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Get a better trainer
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A. While we know this is false. It would be great for our bodies if we ate good all the time. I had 1 cookie yesterday after a very hard workout and still lost a pound.

B This could depend on when you work out and how many carbs you eat

C I disagree so much here. With the goal being losing weight I do cardio first. When I get the weight off and my goal changes to strengh building I will work out first.

D Those full body workouts are great. These machines can serve as a good cardio workout also

E I user the site as a guide. Some days eating my cals other days keeping it low.

F I think every meal should have some protien, GOOD fat and carbs

G not his plan, Look for a new trainer

H see A

I This is BS I feel I have already changed and its only been since Jan

J Look around this site and alot of users are losing weight and getting in better shape

K While he was kinda right but did not say it very well. Plateaus are caused by peoples bodies adjusting to what they have been doing so when this happens you have to change, this may be eating more for a day or two (not going and eating stupid just more) or it may be having a couple of kick *kitten* workouts.

Find a different trainer or do it yourself. When looking for a trainer do more research and find one that will work for you.
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Find another trainer....there are great ones out there! The first moment, you felt degraded, is when you know he's full of it! I've always been athletic yet overweight, but not once has my trainer made me feel less of a person..he's always been supportive.
    Think of it as trying on shoes.....you just put on a pair that aggravated you. Throw them out and try on a new pair! :)
    Don't get discouraged. You can do it, and have success on your journey. Find supportive people and dump the negative ones. It is sad, that someone who should model health and fitness be so discouraging to you.
    You will succeed!:flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe I'm a hard butt...but I kind of agree with the trainer in most of what he said or his opinions on some things....I think he is uneducated in some areas and not experienced enough to dish out nutriional info..however his approach to excercise and the reality of being fit and healthy I tend to agree with...I think perhaps he could have phrased himself differently but again this is your interpretation of what he said...when I read what you perceived ...I see a hard no nonesense trainer leaving little room for excuses .....every trainer has his or her way of doin things if you are into more of a softer approach I would try a different person. I take what a trainer says just like I take this site with a grain of salt ...it may or may not work for me to follow what they say 100% but Im sure you could tweak things to your liking........I would be interested to know how your next session goes with a different trainer if you decide to do it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you know, we all know that guy is full of *kitten*.

I was gonna go through his points one by one, but I see someone has...

Honestly, the only thing I needed to hear was "almost certified". :laugh: Big expert, right?
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,805 Member
    Options
    Actually, I agree with myastyme completely. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this guy and his making you feel poorly about yourself is more than ample reason to never work with him. However, what he says isn't completely nuts. I think he would have been better to include explanations and caveats for what he said because there are those, but, on the whole, he's not completely irrational in his approach.

So I'll go through what he said step by step and explain at least one rationale behind what he said. I'd hate for any good information he provided to get completely dismissed because of the way he provided it or simply because it seems radical.

A. I definitely think he over-stated that one bad meal ruins an entire week's worth of exercise. However, if a person is looking at fitness for its health benefits more than just for its weight loss benefits, then it kind of makes sense. Why would a person spend hours taking care of their body and then poor pure crap into it? I look at it this way. Would I wash the car for five hours so that I could intentionally drive through mud for ten seconds? No. So why would I work on my health through exercise for five hours a week and then, in 5 minutes, fill my body with horrible stuff?

B & F. This whole carbs thing really irritates me, I'll be honest. And, again, I think this guy has seriously over-stated the situation. However, there actually is a reason why carbs shouldn't be eaten late in the day, and that is because it prohibits the release of human growth hormone during sleep which, among other things, is very important for losing weight. While I think he puts the cut-off for eating carbs WAY too early, there is a valid reason for his recommendation regarding carbs.

C. Cardio vs strength....which comes first has LONG been a debate in the fitness world. And people certainly take corners when it comes down to it. It all boils down to the different energy sources the body uses for the varying exercises. Suffice it to say that if you are looking at strength training as a way of increasing muscle, the guy's got it right. In fact, many would argue that you should never do cardio and strength training on the same day if you are trying to actually build muscle. He should have broken that down because it isn't a hard-and-fast rule since people have a variety of reasons for doing strength training, but if you are trying to get actual strength benefits by building muscle out of strength training, then everything I've read says he's right. And, yes, I've been putting cardio before strength for years and will still depending on what I'm trying to do.

D. I'm actually really surprised about what he said about exercise machines. But I can see where he may be coming from because things like step aerobics and kickboxing work the entire body AND involve more variety. I don't think they are necessarily better if a person is using a variety of machines or varying their routine on the machines. But many people don't do that (and that's what he should have said). So if a person is going to walk at 2.5 miles an hour for 45 minutes every.single.day on the treadmill, then, yes, exercise classes are going to be a WHOLE lot better. But, again, he should have specified that instead of making a blanket statement.

E. Controversial subject on this site, but the guy is right about exercise calories. I hate to say it and people here are going to argue against it, but in my ten years on fitness sites and reading as much as I can on diet and nutrition, I can honestly say that MFP is the ONLY place that I've seen that has ever recommended the specific consumption of exercise calories. Now, I don't think that's a bad thing and it obviously works for some people. Why I don't think it is bad is because it provides a very tangible (being able to eat) reward (for lack of a better word) for exercise, giving exercise a very positive image in the minds of those doing it. So I think it positively reinforces exercise, which is good, because exercise is very important for not only losing weight but for being able to keep weight off after the weight is lost. And, the great thing about that, is if a sufficient enough calorie deficit can be created while people are eating exercise calories, it is a win-win situation because people are losing weight. However, everything I've read on the subject indicates that starvation mode isn't nearly as easy to fall into as many believe, and that, except for those who are 20 or so pounds or less overweight, people can safely create more significant calorie deficits, including through the use of exercise. Some (many) may not WANT to because of how they feel (and I think that's one of the reasons so many doctors recommend 1-2 pound weight loss per week....because it is reasonable), but that doesn't mean that is the ONLY way.

G. There is a science to fitness (believe it or not). Again, if a person is looking at fitness as a way of losing weight only, maybe that is irrelevant. But there really is a science behind maximizing fitness benefits (especially when it comes to strength training), so I can't fault the guy--if this is how he is looking at it--for saying that working with a trainer is beneficial.

H. He's right about the healthy eating part. You can workout forever and be 100 pounds, but if you eat crap, you aren't getting the full benefits of either the workout or the health benefits of being at a lower weight. Health isn't just about the cosmetics of weight. It is about what is going on inside the body as well. And while somebody who is obese is more prone to things like heart disease than somebody who is thin, somebody who is thin isn't immune to it by a long shot. What people put into their bodies really does matter, no matter how they look on the outside.

I. I'm in the process of changing my lifestyle, and I estimate it will take me somewhere over a year to get everything into place so I can't argue with what this guy said. This is something, in my opinion, that SHOULD be worked on slowly. I have made a promise to myself that every change I make will be a permanent change. And so I'm taking it slowly and making sure I can live--for the rest of my life--with the changes I've made. That takes time. For those only interested in losing the pounds they have in excess and then going back to a similar lifestyle they enjoyed before, that probably doesn't make sense. But to actually change habits, it takes awhile to find new habits that a person can live with comfortably for a long time. It goes beyond thinking 'Okay, while I lose weight, when we go out to eat I'll order a salad' and goes into 'I'm no longer eating out at all because I can't control what is going into my food or how it is prepared, and that is more important to me than a night out with the family'. And, for some, that takes more time to adjust to.

J. I totally agree with him about tracking healthy eating. If I had a dollar for everytime I've read 'I ate some ice cream last night because it fit into my calorie allowance', I would be wealthier than I was before I joined MFP. It cannot be emphasized enough the importance of healthy eating, and if a person is looking for overall health, then just looking at the bottom line (how many calories I consumed and whether that brownie fits in or not) just isn't the best way of tracking health.

K. I do think there are plateaus, but I don't think they are as common as many believe. I think those most prone to plateaus are those with fewer pounds to lose who may not be exercising the right way or eating the right way to lose the last pounds. The body wants those pounds, and it is difficult to convince the body to get rid of them. I also think there are plateaus caused by hormone issues (like thyroid), and I don't dismiss those at all. But I would argue that good portion of plateaus are actually as he has described. I listen to Jillian Michael's radio show every now and again, and this is one of those issues that comes up alot. And she is good about going through everything that people who are experiencing plateaus are doing--work outs, nutrition, etc. And 9 times out of 10, when it gets to nutrition, she gets the 'Well, I'm good most of the time...' answer, which, when she digs deeper, ends up being that people aren't really being militant about their diet anymore. It could boil down to WHAT they are eating instead of how much they are eating (more crap, less nutritious stuff), but it usually boils down to something with exercise or nutrition.

I know this is an incredibly long response, and, again, I think this guy should have provided more information than what he did and at least his rationale for what he said. But he isn't that far off the mark.

Being thin in our society is difficult. But being HEALTHY in our society is even more difficult. And it sounds to me like this guy is really in to being healthy more than into being thin. I can't fault him for that. It may not be the best approach for everybody (and if it isn't, they need to find another trainer), but that doesn't make it a ridiculous approach.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with him. I definitely hope he learns to better express himself with people because, no doubt, he over-stated things and only illustrated one side of his argument. But that doesn't mean his one side is totally without merit.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A) There is some truth to this. Working out will give you health benefits but if your primary goal is to lose weight and then you eat so much that you destroy your calorie deficit, it won't work.

B) Nope: a calorie is a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss and your body doesn't care what time it is. Obviously eating a well-balanced diet will help you to feel full and fuel your body more effectively but it doesn't really matter when you eat what unless you are a finely tuned athlete. There is a caveat in that some people's body types respond differently and this might be a successful approach for some.

C) Opinions vary. I prefer cardio before strength training and I'm successfully losing.

D) Again, there is some truth to this but he's missing a point. The eliptical, treadmills and other machines may not burn as much as going outside and running if you are leaning on them or holding yourself up. I've seen people walking on the stairmaster, leaning on the rails and reading a book. I doubt they are gettng a great workout. And I see that a LOT in the gym. However, if you put your best effort into it.....you'll burn calories and lose weight. There's a huge benefit in doing exercises that rely on your own body weight but there are also benefits to using machines. Not the least of which is they can help push you harder.

E) Again, this may be true under certain circumstances. When it comes to losing weight you have to create a calorie deficit. However, you need enough fuel for your body to remain healthy. I'm a big proponent of a balance.

F) WRONG

G) I A professional can be a great help. Mine has been invaluable. However, there are a lot of unqualified people out there passing themselves off as professionals. Ask for credentials and for testimonies from people that have been helped, not only in the short term, but in the long term. Ask especially about people who have the same goals/needs as your own. If he specializes in body builders, he's not your guy.

H) Again, I'm a proponent of a balance lifestyle. Eat healthy MOST of the time but, life happens, and sometimes you just need a donut or a pizza. The world won't end, and you won't gain ten pounds from one day of relaxing at a family picnic.

I) NOPE: on average 30 consistent days will develop a habit. Sometimes you have to re-commit but, no matter what losing even 5% if you are overweight will add years onto your life.

J) Depends on how you use it and what you take away from it. I would bet there are some people who are using this site to justify very unhealthy habits. Most of us aren't.

K) Yea, sometimes they are. Sometimes it's just your body asking for time to catch up to all the changes you're making. When you hit one, examine what you've been doing and, if you're cheating, get back on track. If you're not, be patient and your body will catch up.

Ask for a different trainer. I've been really pleased with my trainer, I've learned a lot and had a lot of success. I have noticed though that you only get out what you put into it. I've watched other trainers in the gym. Although most are really good, there are a couple that I wouldn't go to because they have styles and philosophies that wouldn't work for me.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    I said my piece on the "almost certified" trainer. :noway:

I just wanted to comment on one part of another response:

Stiring Wendel said: "It goes beyond thinking 'Okay, while I lose weight, when we go out to eat I'll order a salad' and goes into 'I'm no longer eating out at all because I can't control what is going into my food or how it is prepared, and that is more important to me than a night out with the family'.

Really? No restaurants ever again?:huh:

I would prefer to stay fat and unhealthy if it means I have to forego every night out with my family forever. I can and do count my calories, while enjoying occasional outings to restaurants. Sometimes I am estimating, because the restaurants don't give up their calorie info. But in the end, I'm not gonna give up my social time with my family completely in favor of rigid calorie control. That price is too high. And it is not (IMHO) a balanced or realistic way to look at lifestyle change. (again, as always, IMHO)
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    there's a reason they offer his services for "free"......i'd find myself a new trainer.

I gotta edit here just a bit.......I'm a fit model, not so much any longer, cause my face is not too pretty at the moment, BUT, I work out like a demon, 4-6 hours a day, everyday, and i'm stepping on toes here, but YES I would drive my car through the mud after just washing it, my kids would think it was freaking hilarious, and I can wash it again, that was just a stupid comparison. Second, after all the working out I do, you're DAMN STRAIGHT i'm gonna enjoy a cookie, a milkshake, an order of fries, why not? i'm enjoying my food, WITHOUT guilt, and that's the point everyone seems to miss. You can enjoy the occasional "junk treat" it's not going to sabotage anything, if you have to rearrange your life to accomodate food, then you have a bigger problem to contend with. I eat carbs, whenever the urge strikes me, actually eat right before I go to bed as well, I also do cardio before weights, and sometimes the other way around. I have 16.9 percent body fat, I must be doing something right. People are down right shocked when they find out that I actually eat the occasional ice cream cone frm baskin robbins, or when my clients see me in the local pizza parlour, chowing on some za......they assume I eat "clean", nope, and it shocks them. I think this mentality is the reason people fail when it comes to diet change. I see people posting on here, wanting to eat "junk", a cookie or god forbid a piece of birthday cake, people are suggesting, carrots, celery, hummus....I think after eating all the said foods, guess what, you're still gonna crave that bloody cookie, so eat the damn thing, get over it, go for a walk, and don't let it consume you, depress you, it's all in learning how to control portions, and balancing the good with the bad, once you "get" it, that piece of cake isn't a big deal anymore, you eat it, you get over with it, and guess what, life actually goes on. It's really simple, burn more than you eat and the weight comes off. I'm not saying that junk is good for you, but c'mon a few cookies or a piece of cake now and then isn't going to make you ruin anything. unless you can't control how much of it you shove in your mouth. Then again is more then a food issue you have.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread.
    While I do agree that there are definite good points to what the trainer said, it is the 'my way or the highway' attitude that doesn't sit right with me. You are trying to adopt a new lifestyle, and it needs to be one that is realistic and that you feel comfortable adopting forever and not just the next XX months.
    Instead of explaining to you why they have learned that certain aspects of weight loss and exercise get better results than others, they have just laid down the law. Changing your entire life involves some flexibility and you obviously won't be getting it from them.
    I was really put off by the implication that you can never again eat out or enjoy yourself or maybe have a glass of wine now and then or you're going to be a complete failure. I also got the impression that they are trying to up-sell you to continue working with them indefinitely because that is the only way you can ever succeed. If you look at all the success stories on this website, many of which were achieved without having to pay a personal trainer, you will see that people can do it without investing hundreds of dollars on a trainer. I think your mention of a site like this might put them on the defensive because it cuts down on their business.
    If I were made to feel the way you were, I would definitely find another trainer to work with. How you feel about who you work with will play a huge role in how motivated you are to follow their instructions.
    I would really hate to be this persons partner.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Just for the flip side. My trainer sat me down for an hour before we ever met for our session. She looked up MFP, did some research. When she met with me for my 1st training session the first thing I got was

WAY TO GO GIRL!!

Smart lady! She said the only thing she would change is more good fats in my diet and no carbs after 4pm. Most trainers will tell you this........whether fact or fiction, it is what they believe.

I would go WAY beyond saying I want another trainer. I would go to management and tell them exactly how he made you feel, and ask for 3 sessions with a person who IS certified, and has been training for more than 2 years.

The lady I used was 48, had a college degree, and had 5 certs up on her wall. She took my injury into consideration, and then set up a wonderful, kick *kitten* session.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread.
    While I do agree that there are definite good points to what the trainer said, it is the 'my way or the highway' attitude that doesn't sit right with me. You are trying to adopt a new lifestyle, and it needs to be one that is realistic and that you feel comfortable adopting forever and not just the next XX months.
    Instead of explaining to you why they have learned that certain aspects of weight loss and exercise get better results than others, they have just laid down the law. Changing your entire life involves some flexibility and you obviously won't be getting it from them.
    I was really put off by the implication that you can never again eat out or enjoy yourself or maybe have a glass of wine now and then or you're going to be a complete failure. I also got the impression that they are trying to up-sell you to continue working with them indefinitely because that is the only way you can ever succeed. If you look at all the success stories on this website, many of which were achieved without having to pay a personal trainer, you will see that people can do it without investing hundreds of dollars on a trainer. I think your mention of a site like this might put them on the defensive because it cuts down on their business.
    If I were made to feel the way you were, I would definitely find another trainer to work with. How you feel about who you work with will play a huge role in how motivated you are to follow their instructions.
    I would really hate to be this persons partner.

Yeah, my first thought was someone ought to tell Tamtastic she needs to make some changes!.......:laugh: :laugh: (135 lbs in little over a year!!)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    i :heart: Molson Girl's post. SO exactly how I feel.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    i :heart: Molson Girl's post. SO exactly how I feel.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

DITTO!