Avg Calories Burned - 1 Hour Workout

Options
Hey I thought this would be a good thread to see what peoples averages of calories burned during a 1-hour workout. It could help people realize they may not be pushing them selves hard enough if they notice they are below most peoples averages.

I'll start

1 Hour - 700 Calories

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Inbetween 900-1000.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    depends on what I do, could be as low as 300 for strength training or as high as 800 if running, and I push myself hard every minute I am in the gym, but when you only weight 140lbs, big burns are hard to come by.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends on the training.

Weights = 100 calories per 20 mins
    Cardio = 100 calories per 10-12 mins

Overtraining = fukarounditis
    Be careful because this is extremely contagious!
  • hotbuns12
    hotbuns12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey I thought this would be a good thread to see what peoples averages of calories burned during a 1-hour workout. It could help people realize they may not be pushing them selves hard enough if they notice they are below most peoples averages.

I'll start

1 Hour - 700 Calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Usually around 500. The amount doesn't depend on just effort though. Other factors, such as weight, can also influence how many calories a person burns. Someone 50 lbs heavier than me doing the same exercise will likely burn more, while someone 50 lbs lighter will burn less.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Usually around 500. The amount doesn't depend on just effort though. Other factors, such as weight, can also influence how many calories a person burns. Someone 50 lbs heavier than me doing the same exercise will likely burn more, while someone 50 lbs lighter will burn less.

Agreed. Mine is about 600 for an hour.
  • alie5612
    Options
    hi i all new to this so this morning i cleaned out 4 stables out remade them up for 2night filled their hay nets water buckets ect ect how do i work out how many calories i used thanks if any one can help
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I also agree but I believe seeing something like this were other people are burning more calories during that hour will help alot of people want to try harder. Some its physically impossible to burn anymore but I'm sure this thread may light a fire under some ppls bums.... me included
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. Yesterday I did the 30 day shred twice (54 minutes total) and burned 459, then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill (2 miles - alternating jogging/walking) and burned 315. My calories per minute are a little lower for the shred b/c there are 'recovery' times built into the workout where my heartrate goes down. (but I skip the stretching at the end of the first shred and beginning of the second and do cardio stuff - I only do the stretches at the beginning of the first and end of the second - so I burn a little more than I would if I were doing those extra stretches where your heartrate is down). I'm 5'4" and weigh just under 140 lb and get my calorie numbers from my Polar.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    around 1500 now - usually running

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    hi i all new to this so this morning i cleaned out 4 stables out remade them up for 2night filled their hay nets water buckets ect ect how do i work out how many calories i used thanks if any one can help

For something like that I think you could get a decent estimate by going into your exercise diary and logging 'cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort' and then the amount of time you spent working. It's not going to be exact but it will give you a rough idea. That's hard work though, you may actually burn more than what MFP will estimate. For activities where your heartrate is really elevated for awhile, you could consider buying a heart rate monitor with a chest-strap (monitors your heartrate continuously throughout exercise and many of them will estimate your calorie burn during that activity).

ETA: Oops, just checked out the 'gardening' option in the exercise database like the next poster suggested - that estimates calories burned a little higher than the 'cleaning' option and might be a better estimate for you. :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

A heart rate monitor would be the best way. But without one I would think this would be similar to heavy gardening (lugging soil/fertilizer, digging, etc.) which I think is an option on MFP.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It could help people realize they may not be pushing them selves hard enough if they notice they are below most peoples averages.

A lot of the calorie burn is determined by the exerciser's body weight - not just the intensity of the exercise. When I was 40 pounds heavier, I had no problem burning about 800-900 calories in an hour. Now, that I am more fit, I cover the same distance faster, but burn MANY fewer calories. The same workout that burned 900 calories in April now burns about 650. It's not that I need to work harder, there's just less of me working. :-)
  • KLDunford
    Options
    About 575-600 Cal an hour with 4 mins out of 10 of jogging @ 5 speed, on the Treadmill & 6 mins @ 12+ Incline at 3.2+ speed.. I at least loose between 1lb-6oz when I weigh In the next day.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    So many factors. If you use an HRM, the machine's HRM, or a bodybugg. When I had an HRM doing Insanity it would register 900-1200. When I got a bodybugg and did the same it would be 500-600. Doing Just Dance for the Wii for an hour will burn me about 500 according to my bugg.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do strength training, so around 400 calories usually.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    weight has a lot to do with it but i'm 135 and burn about 700 in an hour
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Ouch. I feel so judged now.
  • gumigal82
    Options
    in an hour of turbo fire it will be about 600 (I use wrist weights as well)
    doing jillian michaels--about 300-400
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Overtraining = fukarounditis
    Be careful because this is extremely contagious!

I'm in recovery from a case of fukarounditis that began last Tuesday :laugh:

My calorie burn has been a lot more accurate since I invested in a Polar heart rate monitor. For a 40 minute Turbo Jam workout, I normally burn 400-450 calories, depending on which one I'm doing. Walking at a brisk pace burns about 200 calories for a 30-minute, 2 mile walk.