Chip time v. gun time

Options
Ok, so I just looked up my race results for the 2011 Rescue Run in Topeka on Saturday and my gun time was 35:24.6, but my chip time was 34:57.5...what is the difference?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Gun time is from the actual start of the race, or when the 'gun' goes off and the first people cross the starting line. Chip time is your time from when you cross the starting line to when you cross the finish line.

Chip time is your 'real' time.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Gun time is the time the gun went off until you finished. Chip time is the time you first crossed the starting line until you crossed the finish line.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Chip time is the time it takes you to cross the start line and finish line. Gun time is from the time the gun goes off (but you probably haven't crossed the start sensor) to the time you cross the finish line.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The gun time is from when they started the clock and the chip time is from when you finally crossed the start point.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Your gun time is from when the gun goes off till you cross the finish line. So if you were way in the back of the pack at the start it would take you some time to get to the starting line and your chip to be read. Chip time is from when you cross the start to when you cross the finish (when you chip is read on the mats.)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Also, great time! :)
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The gun time is the interval between the clock starting and you crossing the finish line.

The chip time reflects the interval between you crossing the start line and the finish line. This is your actual race time.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just looked up my race results for the 2011 Rescue Run in Topeka on Saturday and my gun time was 35:24.6, but my chip time was 34:57.5...what is the difference?

You did not cross the start line as the very first person. The start the race and the clock at the same time but depending on where you are in the crowd (and how big the crowd is) you take several minutes to actually cross the start line. Once you cross the start line the chip is activated.

I did a Thanksgiving day race and it took me 6 minutes to cross the start line... at a half marathon it took me 15 minutes to cross the start line... thank goodness for chip time!!

edit: I see I took too long to type this up... you already got the answer :wink:
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Chip time is from when you started your race - the gun time is from when the race started.
    You might not have been right at the start & the difference between the two is the time it took for you to start the 'start' line.
    I did a 10k earlier this year & my chip time was 7 mins slower than the gun time - there were 40,000 people so it took awhile to start
    Great Time by the way:smile:
  • jernigan51
    Options
    Thanks all, once I read it, it completely made sense, lol!