Best Exercise Apps for smartphone?

Options
I have an old Iphone 3g, just downloaded a pedometer from Arawella Corporation, hoping for good things! does anyone us any other apps to help them exercise, keep track of cals etc (minus MFP - my lifeline!)

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper. I use it every time i go for a run or a walk. Its free and its a must have
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I use:
    Nike +GPS app for my runs
    Runmeter for walks & bike rides
    Nike Training Club for great workouts

Edit to add: all of the above were free
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper - I think it's 9.99 in iTunes - has a GPS that keeps your mileage during a run or walk. It's basically the best app I've paid for yet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. Free on android!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Runkeeper. I'm not a runner but I use it to track walks, bike rides, skiing, etc. Contrary to what someone said above, it's a free app.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have a circuit timer, it wasn't free but it was cheap. You can program which exercises you want to do and it keeps track of time and lets you know when to start/stop
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I want to know more too!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if Runkeeper will work on an Iphone that no longer has service? I have wifi at home, but it basically works as an ITouch, but with GPS....

In other words, does runkeeper require an internet connection to run while being used or can I use it to monitor my run and then come home and 'log' it?
  • robotaffliction
    Options
    I like the "daily cardio" iPhone app so far; I got it for days when I can't go to the gym. It's a cardio circuit training thing. It's free and has a .99 upgrade for more exercises.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    bump
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Endomondo!!!!!!!!! GPS tracking, aggregate stats and uploads online to see your workout progress. Then of course MFP app!

And couch25k if your trying to get into running.
  • gazwheat
    gazwheat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and Endomondo but I prefer Endomondo
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Why? Just wondering if I should check out Endomondo. Does it track elevation? That's my one complaint about runkeeper.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if Runkeeper will work on an Iphone that no longer has service? I have wifi at home, but it basically works as an ITouch, but with GPS....

In other words, does runkeeper require an internet connection to run while being used or can I use it to monitor my run and then come home and 'log' it?
    If Runkeeper uses GPS, then it'll need a data connection. I use Cardio Trainer and while it will sort of work without a GPS connection, it's not accurate. A 3 mile run can be off by as much as a mile. The GPS on my last phone stopped functioning so I know this from first hand experience. That phone at least had a data connection and was using cell tower triangulation for location purposes. Without even that, I don't think it would work properly at all.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Why? Just wondering if I should check out Endomondo. Does it track elevation? That's my one complaint about runkeeper.
    Cardio Trainer will track your total climb during the run but doesn't show a graph of the elevation changes.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options

If Runkeeper uses GPS, then it'll need a data connection. I use Cardio Trainer and while it will sort of work without a GPS connection, it's not accurate. A 3 mile run can be off by as much as a mile. The GPS on my last phone stopped functioning so I know this from first hand experience. That phone at least had a data connection and was using cell tower triangulation for location purposes. Without even that, I don't think it would work properly at all.

Not sure I understand why Runkeeper would *need* Internet to keep track of GPS? I mean, I understand that I would not be seeing any map data WHILE I was running, but GPS data being captured would not need an internet connection, right? That's why I ask if Runkeeper is able to work without an internet connection, because I know that it *should* be possible, depending upon how the app was written....
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

But Runkeeper DOES track elevation.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

But Runkeeper DOES track elevation.

The free version on android? Mine doesn't... hmmm, maybe I'm missing an update??? *runs to check*
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am loving C25K!