Weight Loss Supplements or Diet Pills

Options
Hi all...I have not been as successful as I wish on controlling my eating. Has anyone ever used a diet supplement or something to help them when they first started this journey of losing weight? My weight won't drop.

Replies

• Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Diet pills will still suggest: exercise, water, and healthy eating.... To me they are useless. I've tried Hydroxycut and it scared the crap out of me. I was all jittery and my heartrate fluctuated a lot.

I suggest to just be patient and stay disciplined. Even if they do somehow work for you, the likeliness of keeping the weight off after discontinuing the pills are slim to none. It's better to take the SLOW and PERMENANT route of just changing your lifestyle and habits altogether. Good luck and live long and healthy:)
  • nikkijay25
    nikkijay25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are bad news! Once you get used to eating smaller portions, your body get used to it. IMO
  • RWeaver08
    RWeaver08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take OxyElite Pro and I have dropped 40 pounds with it. Granted, you still have to workout, watch what you eat, etc. But I was doing all that before and wasn't losing and then I tried this because my friend who took it lost over 60 pounds taking it. And I was pleasantly surprised that it works. It curves my appetite so I'm not binge eating all the time.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Because I'm hypothyroid, have rheumatoid arthritis and vitamin D deficiency, my doctor wanted to see how my different levels would change if I lost the extra weight I've been carrying. She put me on phenterimine (not sure how to spell it) for 8 weeks and I've lost about 16 lbs. This was supposed to kick-start my metabolism. I had to go in every couple of weeks and have my blood pressure checked. Now my concern is...will I gain it all back without the medicine...we'll see. Now, I didn't just take these pills and lose weight. I've been restricting my calories and exercising between 300-400 calories a day. It was only intended to give me the metabolism of an average person...2 lbs per week is about normal.
  • RWeaver08
    RWeaver08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also kept the weight off even after I stopped taking them. And still have managed it. You just have to lose it the RIGHT way.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am anti fad diets and pills. Are you exercising? I burn 600-1000 calories a day with TurboFire and can "eat those calories back" which has helped me so much - I really have not cut my eating, I just make better choices as far as that goes. I drink Shakeology as a supplement - For me, I don't use it as a meal replacement, just in addition to my daily intake for the health aspects and I detest eating first thing in the monring. I have my shake to "get going" for the day. I say sweat off enough calories to cover your intake and you should be good to go! BEST WISHES TO YA!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The key for me to controlling my intake has been learning proper portion sizes (I was WAY off before), eating more lean proteins as well as fruits and vegetables (vegetables especially - you can get more bulk for less calories), and exercising (so I can earn extra calories that I'm allowed to eat each day).

I used diet pills for awhile right after I turned 18 and I would not recommend them. My heart was racing and I didn't feel 'normal'. This time I'm doing it the 'food and exercise' way w/o pills and it's working really well and I feel great.
  • SZewski
    SZewski Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't do it....I had a weight loss clinic prescribe diet pills and my blood pressure sky rocketed. They could have killed me.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    FYI...it's been working for me, but when she put my husband on a loser dosage..he was very angry and took himself off of them. They are definitely not ok for everyone.
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would say don't do it. Diet pills are a waste of time and money, and may even cause you some health problems down the road. Just as someone said earlier, they still suggest you do the same thing that you should be doing anyway, diet and exercise, which is the only thing that works, so taking them in addition to diet and exercise is actually pointless. I have taken them in the past, and have gained the weight back, and more, each time. Yes, they curb your appetite, so you get the impression that they are "working", but the most important thing about losing weight is that you eat enough food. Make sure that you are eating all day, at least 6-7 small meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner and 3-4 snacks) and drink plenty of water. It may seem like a lot, but if you are making the right choices, lean meat and fish, vegetables, nuts, etc., then you will be satisfied throughout the day. Depending on how much you want to lose, it may take longer before you achieve the results you are looking for. There is no magic way to lose weight; diet pills are not the way to go, ijs.
  • RyanEdwardParker
    Options
    I won't recommend it unless you are morbidly obese and need to drop weight quickly. I've read many reports that suggest that diet pills can damage the liver and kidneys. Some people also react badly to them and get bad mood swings etc.

I believe weight loss should be done the classic style, through exercise and a change in your diet. This is the most healthy way to do it and you'll thank your good sense later in life.

I've successfully lost 170lbs, my hypertension is gone and my cholesterol numbers are back to normal. The trick that I used is to get as much knowledge as you can then make meaningful changes in your life to accommodate your weight loss goals. If you are interested in what I've done please visit my site Zdiets.net