Not Motivated

Options
Hello everyone, I need to lose about 114 pounds. I lost 5 lbs and gained it back so I am right back where I started. I need some motivation to exercise. I tell myself you will feel so much better, however I am just plan lazy. Several years ago, I was into exercising every day and nothing would stop me. How do I get that back?:noway: :cry:

Replies

• Lotfali
    Options
    If you were into exercising every day, you're definitely not lazy! Once you start seeing progress in terms of weight loss (and you will if you keep at it) that becomes a great motivator. Do whatever you can to make exercise easy and fun. Reading as you walk on the treadmill makes the time pass. Also a good book or music on your iPod is a great help. Remind yourself how good you feel at the end of a workout. ...good luck!
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    i've recently been in the same situation but due to several factors the past 2 months i've really turned it around and although theres no actual results yet in terms of weight loss, friends have told me its visible in my face and overall I feel much better and less lethargic for my new routine - are you a member of a gym at all? ... I've never been part of a gym or club but last week I joined david lloyd (if your UK you should know it?) and i have to say I can't keep away from the place lol.... and its nothing to do with friends or family - I only just moved back to this area, and i dont know anyone here and my mum isnt into the gym scene either so its literally me on my own every time.... I just have found myself forcing myself out of bed in the mornings ( currently unemployed after completeing degree courses and only have a part time 2 or 3 night a week bar job) when I would normally sleep in as long as i could get away with .... instead i've been getting myself booked into fitness classes each morning to get me started, then doing areas in the gym which the class didnt cover ( for instance I did a step class for an hour, which covered my cardio workout for the day, so I just did the resistance and some core training).

I'm sure i'll tone down the enthusiasm as the days get colder or I get bored of mackerel, tuna and chicken but I think its that initial step of forcing yourself out of your comfort zone, and just diving straight in.
    I also found swimming to be not only stress busting but felt great after an hour back and forth in the pool. Really feeling the burn today but it surelymeans its working lol? .... all I can say is stick with it, if you have the option of joining a gym then I would really suggest doing it..... and tbh... if its expensive, it might motivate you to use it more.... i'm not financially sound atm but this new gym of mine charges £57 p/month which has basically made me go every day since joining... and the time just flies by!

theres loads of friendly people on here and the food logging is really useful too - even better when you can add your exercise to the diary too and you can see the cals youve burned through the exercise!!!!

good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only person who can motivate you is you. You need a reason to be out there moving every day and you need to remind yourself of that reason all the time. Make a list of the reasons you want to lose weight/get healthy and post it somewhere you can see it every day. Good places are your bathroom mirror, the fridge, or wherever you keep your exercise equipment.

Keep in mind that losing weight is 80% diet and nutrition and only 20% exercise. If you aren't into it yet, then just lose weight by eating right. You have enough to lose that you should be able to shed pounds fairly quickly at the start, without exercise, as long as you stay committed to it. You could also just start walking for a mile or two each day. Walking is painless. :happy: Of course, adding exercise will give you more calories you can eat every day while maintaining the same rate of loss.