Protein shakes at night? Good or Bad?

Options
Ideas folks :)

Replies

• iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If I need protein to fill my 40/30/30 and have 150 cals to down then sure. But not if it drives me over my cal goal for the day,

I don't think pm eating matters as long as total cals dont exceed total expense
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    very good, helps repair muscles
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My protien mix says there are three times that are the most effective to take it: first thing in the morning, right after a hard workout and right before bed. Just the opinion of the box, lolol.
  • If I need protein to fill my 40/30/30 and have 150 cals to down then sure. But not if it drives me over my cal goal for the day,

Actually, pm eating does matter. You're supposed to avoid eating 2 hours before you go to bed so that you can get a better nights sleep. If your metabolism is up and running full force when you're trying to sleep, you won't get the much needed REM sleep needed for better weight loss results.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    good.

I prefer it for my breakfast though.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    If I need protein to fill my 40/30/30 and have 150 cals to down then sure. But not if it drives me over my cal goal for the day,

Actually, pm eating does matter. You're supposed to avoid eating 2 hours before you go to bed so that you can get a better nights sleep. If your metabolism is up and running full force when you're trying to sleep, you won't get the much needed REM sleep needed for better weight loss results.

That's an opinion, not a fact.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

That's an opinion, not a fact.

Exactly. Time of day does not matter, even if it is right up to right before you go to sleep. There is no negative affect.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    From what I've found, pm eating doesn't matter either. Go ahead and drink the protien, your muscles need it.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build lean body mass it is Good! Muscles are repaired and grown at night. Try to get cassian protein or egg white protein as they are slower release than whey.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

This is a long standing dietary myth that still hasn't diet out ^

OP: It doesn't matter when you have your protein shake or if you have one at all provided that you are able to intake sufficient protein for the day. Focus on end-of-day totals and disregard nutrient timing outside of the context of personal preference and gym performance.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you have extra calories you need to consume and feel like you want some protein but don't want to eat it in solid form, I say go for it. :-)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Seems like lately i've been craving one every night. And then i still wake up wanting more!
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Yeah, I love having my protein shaken at night. It's such a great feeling, specially when it's loaded with all the right nutrients
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Seems like lately i've been craving one every night. And then i still wake up wanting more!

I heart you
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I love them!! In fact I had one last night ;-)
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options

A protein "shot" or "shake".....................??????
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

As long as you are within your calories for the day, it does not matter what time you eat.
  • screwtop_gangsta
    Options
    Oh goodness, I love protein shakes! They're the best! I don't care what time of the day it is, I just want to take one, and another, and another. Sometimes I think the dispenser is gonna break!
  • screwtop_gangsta
    Options
    Yeah, I love having my protein shaken at night. It's such a great feeling, specially when it's loaded with all the right nutrients

Oh yes, life giving nutrients!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

Morning Noon and Night!!!!! :flowerforyou: