Going Vegan??

Options
Anyone else seen the documentary "Forks Over Knives" and have taken action to change their diet, to me it sounds like it would be extremely difficult to make a change from what I eat now, any comments?

Replies

• jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    I have seen the documentary and found it EXTREMELY interesting but I couldn't actually go completely vegan. Currently I am nursing my baby and she had lactose/dairy allergies and I can't have any dairy and I have had to modify my diet for that reason. I could go vegetarian I think but my husband cannot live without meat. He would never consider even going vegetarian. Although, we do only eat lean meats, we enjoy them. Vegan is a huge change! If I didn't have kids and lived alone, I would consider it but that will never happen.

297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    But over time, you can gently change from one way to another, like going from heavy to healthy... carnivores to vegan... little by little... but there are happy mediums for everything, but getting healthy.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the documentary but, 3 years, I went totally vegan for about 6 months. It was extremely difficult to have a social life and too difficult to cook a meal for my family and something different for myself. I finally gave that up, but I still have some of the cookbooks and enjoy some of those recipes to this day. I also did the extreme and went raw vegan for about 3 months. My take away from both of those extreme diets was to incorprate fresh veggies and fruits as often as possible. Everything within reason.
  • Veganism works for some people, but not for others. To be a vegan, you have to be DEDICATED to eating and have a lot of knowledge about nutrition (getting enough protien, calcium, etc.).

Now, I don't want any vegans harrassing me about my opinion, but I don't believe veganism is a healthy lifestyle after taking a nutrition class last spring. You just aren't getting enough of the crucial elements your body NEEDS to be healthy and survive. I think if you want to help the planet & animals, go vegetarian. Thats still insanely healthy for you, helps you lose weight, and preserves the environment while rebelling against the harsh agricultural conditions the animals are raised in.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I myself have not seen it but my mother talked of nothing else for weeks after watching it! She's trying to make the change slowly. I suggested to her try cutting out one thing at a time, like red meats so it's only fish and chicken, then milk and cheese but still eat butter for a while, then lose the rest of dairy completely. It could take you 6 months or a year to completely change the way you eat. it's just like weight loss, slow and steady.

I myself have been vegetarian my whole life, but I eat dairy and very little egg... so no I'm not a vegan. But I don't do the Icecream and junk side of dairy either. mostly goat cheese, feta, sharp cheddar and butter. And greek yogurt occationally. There is sooooooooo much information out there easily accessible that can help you make an informed change on HOW to do it successfully. Sub this for that, prepare foods this way instead of that... do your research if you're serious about it, and take it slowly, otherwise you'll likely jump screaming off the wagon!!! :) And good luck!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Veganism works for some people, but not for others. To be a vegan, you have to be DEDICATED to eating and have a lot of knowledge about nutrition (getting enough protien, calcium, etc.).

Now, I don't want any vegans harrassing me about my opinion, but I don't believe veganism is a healthy lifestyle after taking a nutrition class last spring. You just aren't getting enough of the crucial elements your body NEEDS to be healthy and survive. I think if you want to help the planet & animals, go vegetarian. Thats still insanely healthy for you, helps you lose weight, and preserves the environment while rebelling against the harsh agricultural conditions the animals are raised in.

I do want to say that for some people vegetarianism/veganism has nothing to do with the need to protect the cows... I was raised by my mother as a vegetarian because we were too poor to afford meat, so out of necessity I remained one. I never developed the craving for meat, and cannot physically digest it now, my body never developed enough of the enzymes to break it down. It makes me sick. So i did my research and eat a balanced healthy variety, and am lucky that I love most vegetables. Also most meat-eaters perceptions of what is "necessary and healthy" put forth by the FDA or agricultural administrations is centered around sales for the major industry... it has very little to do with what the body scientifically needs to be healthy...
  • Veganism works for some people, but not for others. To be a vegan, you have to be DEDICATED to eating and have a lot of knowledge about nutrition (getting enough protien, calcium, etc.).

I do want to say that for some people vegetarianism/veganism has nothing to do with the need to protect the cows... I was raised by my mother as a vegetarian because we were too poor to afford meat, so out of necessity I remained one. I never developed the craving for meat, and cannot physically digest it now, my body never developed enough of the enzymes to break it down. It makes me sick. So i did my research and eat a balanced healthy variety, and am lucky that I love most vegetables. Also most meat-eaters perceptions of what is "necessary and healthy" put forth by the FDA or agricultural administrations is centered around sales for the major industry... it has very little to do with what the body scientifically needs to be healthy...

Exactly. The body only needs about 3-4 ounces of meat to have a balanced diet. The FDA suggests that at least HALF of your plate should be filled with vegetables and fruit. Check out www.choosemyplate.gov for this really new, interesting way of looking at the old "food pyramid". Its governmentally funded so you know its legit.
  • chatdude
    Options
    Dont do it. Think about it.

No more pepperoni pizza? Chicken burritos? Burgers? Sushi with Salmon?

Insanity...
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and also have read the China Study. I am a vegeterian but not a vegan I do not use much dairy other then Yogurt.
    I have not had any cheese in about 2 months and feel so much better (well actually I had cheese about a week ago and felt awful).
    I think whatever works for you works for you. I have been a vegeterian for 31 years and people are always askign how you get your protein well there are plenty ways to get protein as a vegeterian tofu,soy, legumes etc. Whay ever you decide read up on some nutrion and there are alot of vetan websites. Good luck
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Its governmentally funded so you know its legit.
    :laugh: I got a kick out of that.

Vegan is more than just a vegetarian diet. It is a lifestyle of not using any animal products. No fur, leather, silk, meat, dairy, fish, honey, jell-o, etc. I went vegetarian for about 6 months around 10 years ago to try to lower my cholesterol (it worked). It wasn't that hard but I really like meat so I said "screw it, I'm eating meat."
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After reading Skinny *****, I decided to ditch dairy (I was already vegetarian). As a cheese lover, I thought it would be hard. However, I have found substitutes, when I need them.

I still eat eggs from my local farm share and local honey. This means that I am not a vegan. I noticed that acid reflux and stomach aches have abandoned me since my conversion, which leads me to believe that I probably had a problem with dairy. I eat healthy and love making food as much as I love eating food.

Make gradual changes that you can handle. You don't have to do it all at once. Set goals for yourself and try new things. It's not that hard and you don't have to make crazy radical changes. If it's something you want to explore, go for it and enjoy!
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the documentary but its just about preference and your own morals and whats realistic for you. I'm from Texas, loved meat and once I became educated about factory farming and other related issues I just had to make the change. I had bad health from too much greasy fatty foods, I decided to become a vegetarian and then a month later went vegan. The hardest part for me was being informed about what was in my foods, whether there was animal products in it or not. In regards to that I think everyone should keep an eye out on what is actually in their food and how it got there. Thats just my opinion, my health completely improved and personally it was the best decision I ever made. I had lots of health issues and now I am the only one in my family without health problems (knock on wood). Not saying the vegan way is the only way or the best way for everyone but its the best thing for me. Also its very hard to explain not eating meat to Texans and Southerners, I was the backside of a lot of jokes, but I hold my own. You just have to stand up for what you believe in and know whats right for you. Personally I like knowing that animals weren't harmed for my food, clothing and make up. But thats just me. When I became a vegetarian and then a vegan I started caring about something other than myself and what ever was going on in my little world. I began to have more respect for everything and everyone.

Please no-one take offense to this post. Its just my personal opinion. I don't like making anyone upset or offended.

Well wishes!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been eating mostly vegetarian since March (occasionally some fish), and now have gone Vegan for the last almost 2 months.

I find there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. Yes, I did watch Forks Over Knives, and over Thanksgiving as a family we sat down and watched The Last Heartattack which also has Esselsyn's diet.

I do all the cooking in the house, so the other people here have only been eating animal products when they prepared something, but now they have decided to take the plant based step too. It's been easy, and we are eating much, much healthier.

Some of the things I've found:

Eating out is hard, but not impossible. And frankly, eating out isn't great for you anyway.

Somewhere someone has developed a vegan recipe for the foods you crave.

Eating veggies is addictive, and when you cut out meat for some reason they taste better!

Meat, cheese, and milk are mental foods. Really you won't miss them nearly as much as you think you will.

Vegan food can be incredibly delicious, filling and so tasty that non-vegans will love it! (I just cooked a vegan Thanksgiving for my extended family and they liked it!!! Even the Tofurky!)

Vegan diets are only as good as your ingredients. You can be an unhealthy vegan and live on oreos, potato chips, and fries. Or you can eat whole foods packed with nutrients.

There are so many benefits to eating a plant based plant rich diet, I don't miss the meat or dairy at all!
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I eat an almost entirely vegan diet. I do it for health and digestive reasons although cutting down on the amount of land used to grow food to feed animals we eat is an added benefit. I am an adventurous eater so when doctors said the pain I had on a near daily basis was likely from inability to digest animal protein properly, I dove into the vegan deep-end and started trying out all sorts of "new" and "crazy" foods. Now I tend to just eat more whole foods although I love me a tofurky pepperoni pizza when I have a crazy junk food craving.

I do occasionally choose to eat egg or meat (rarely dairy) when I go out to a restaurant but honestly I can do without it now for the most part. It isn't usually worth the pain.

Some books I would recommend:

Breaking the Food Seduction
    The Kind Diet
    30-Day Vegan Challenge

There are also a ton of excellent vegan cookbooks. If you are looking to lose weight while eating vegan, Appetite for Reduction is my most favorite cookbook because everything is low-calorie but from a chef who loves food (she has a ton of other cookbooks) and everything I have made from there I have LOVED. I even make some of those recipes for non-vegans and they don't turn their noses up.
  • bunny876
    bunny876 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After reading Skinny *****, I decided to ditch dairy (I was already vegetarian). As a cheese lover, I thought it would be hard. However, I have found substitutes, when I need them.

I still eat eggs from my local farm share and local honey. This means that I am not a vegan. I noticed that acid reflux and stomach aches have abandoned me since my conversion, which leads me to believe that I probably had a problem with dairy. I eat healthy and love making food as much as I love eating food.

Make gradual changes that you can handle. You don't have to do it all at once. Set goals for yourself and try new things. It's not that hard and you don't have to make crazy radical changes. If it's something you want to explore, go for it and enjoy!

That booked changed me. About four years ago I went Vegan for about two years. This was right after my daughter was born. I was lucky that my husband made changes with me. I also read the China study. I fell off the wagon because it is hard. I went cold turkey before. Now I am trying to slowly phase meat out and then go from there. I will say it was the best I felt and we both had better physicals and came off of some meds while we were doing it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I was (mostly) vegetarian for a few years and tried out vegan but for it was just too hard. Eating out is boring when you are vegetarian and really hard when you are vegan. I also ended up deficient in Vitamin b12, in spite of being pretty well educated about what I was eating and trying to get in a balance of all the vitamins and minerals I needed.
    If you want to try it, go for it, but make sure you are clear about what you need to do to stay healthy.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Check out www.choosemyplate.gov for this really new, interesting way of looking at the old "food pyramid". Its governmentally funded so you know its legit.

notsureifsrs.jpg
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Eating out is hard, but not impossible. And frankly, eating out isn't great for you anyway.

Somewhere someone has developed a vegan recipe for the foods you crave.

Eating veggies is addictive, and when you cut out meat for some reason they taste better!

Meat, cheese, and milk are mental foods. Really you won't miss them nearly as much as you think you will.

Vegan food can be incredibly delicious, filling and so tasty that non-vegans will love it! (I just cooked a vegan Thanksgiving for my extended family and they liked it!!! Even the Tofurky!)

Vegan diets are only as good as your ingredients. You can be an unhealthy vegan and live on oreos, potato chips, and fries. Or you can eat whole foods packed with nutrients.

There are so many benefits to eating a plant based plant rich diet, I don't miss the meat or dairy at all!

+1
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been almost vegan since I was 9, and I've never had any diet related health problems. I get all the b12 I need, and I live on a budget of $30 a week for food. It's so easy now, I would never consider going back. I don't know what restaurants Rubybelle went to, but I love dining vegetarian! Here in New Zealand there is no shortage of options, I've been to 3 restaurants in the past 6 months, and all had amazing vege options! Even Dominos pizza has three or four vege pizzas.
  • veganhoneys
    Options
    I've been vegan for over a year now, and it's not even remotely as hard as everyone likes to think that it is. The worst part about being vegan is listening to all the ridiculous excuses people have for eating like ****! For some reason people treat vegans like catholic priests and feel the need to confess their awful food habits. If you love the planet, you love animals, you love GOOD food, and you love yourself- this is the lifestyle for you! There is no such thing as CAN'T give up meat or dairy, etc- you absolutely CAN. The only thing standing between you and fabulous health is in your head. It's a little effort at first, but after a few months it's second nature and easy as can be. I've never been to a restaurant where I couldn't find something to eat!