Why would you eat exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lol sorry but this will make u think again........been on here three weeks it say i should eat 2600 to maintain my current weight. now i can only eat around 1700 on a good day or i feel sick if i eat more...now in saying that i burn on average 900cals a day and in 3 weeks i have lost 8.8 kgs and i dont eat my cals back that i burn........now i have spoke to a few personal trainers on this topic and they say what the site says is true but in turn what im doin by eating less then is reccomended im now teaching my body to burn fat that is stored instead of storing it......the funny thing is we had a week of rain last week and i couldnt do my normal 20klm a day ride (didnt want to get wet) and i lost more weight when i didnt do exercise then when i did. now i did eat less that week then i normally do but also lost more......i rang 1 personal trainer and he said the reason for this is because my body had gone into FAT BURNING MODE from doing over 100klm a week on my bike and it would stay in that mode for a week or so if i dindt do any riding....ive now started riding again and it hurts and they say its because my body has now gone back into storage mode again and i'll prob put some back on for the next few weeks and the start losing it again..........dont worry its confused me as well

When you dont eat enough calories, like you are doing, you arent burning fat but actually burning muscle. And you lost more weight not working out because you body is not retaining water
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you set up MFP right to start with then the daily calorie goal that MFP gives you already has a calorie deficit built in to lose weight. That said, you should eat close to the calorie goal MFP gives you each day including eating back most of your exercise calories. If you are too far under your daily calorie goal you are very likely to cause your body to hang onto the fat it has by either slowing down or even stopping fat loss. It may not happen right away but eventually you will most likely plateau. If you have a lot of weight to lose you can probably get away with it longer but as you have less to lose your body will plateau easier. May sound counter-intuitive but that's just the way it is.
  • Serialdieter
    Options
    I don't eat mine I am on 1200 cal a day and I burn around 300 cals max per day. In 2 weeks I have lost 11lbs I don't feel starved or tired if I hit a plateau I will try but at this moment in time I am happy doing it as I have.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I don't eat mine I am on 1200 cal a day and I burn around 300 cals max per day. In 2 weeks I have lost 11lbs I don't feel starved or tired if I hit a plateau I will try but at this moment in time I am happy doing it as I have.
    You really should at least net 1200 otherwise you are depriving your body of its nutritional reqirements. Also doing this method will slow your metabolism as your body will pull energy from the ammino acids in your muscle for energy.
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    ive been on MFP sice january 2011. lost weight consistently every week . i started working out in May 2011, altough i love it and feel GREAT, my weight loss slowed down (alot) and ive had 2 plateaus, i have never eating my exercise calories.

Two weeks ago, ive start eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of my earned cals, i have now GAINED 1.2kg (2.6LB)..

IS THIS NORMAL???? IT REALLY GETTING ME DOWN....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/378136-started-to-finally-eat-exercise-calories-im-gaining-weig
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    if you hit search and type in exercise calories you'll find a ton on info on it
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, if I'm already at a caloric deficit without accounting for exercise, why wouldn't I eat my exercise calories back? I'm still in a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ive been on MFP sice january 2011. lost weight consistently every week . i started working out in May 2011, altough i love it and feel GREAT, my weight loss slowed down (alot) and ive had 2 plateaus, i have never eating my exercise calories.

Two weeks ago, ive start eating back 1/2 to 3/4 of my earned cals, i have now GAINED 1.2kg (2.6LB)..

IS THIS NORMAL???? IT REALLY GETTING ME DOWN....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/378136-started-to-finally-eat-exercise-calories-im-gaining-weig
    it is quite possible. If you eat at a low calorie level for extended periods of time you metabolism will slow down to compensate for the lack of energy it has in the fat stores. If you start eat more, it sends your body in shock. If you give it time it should regulate itself and will probably drop weight quickly.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Mainly because people calculate their daily calories while not including additional exercise from baseline. Everyone should be calculating their daily deficit's from their maintenance calories, that way exercise is accounted for and no need to eat back exercise calories.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    peeps have different opinions...i eat them sometimes, just depends on my workout.

but a great example is someone that has a cal. goal of 1200. said person exercises and burns lets say 800cals. and only eats the 1200. the person could basically quit exercising and just trespass in North Korea and be put into a slave labor camp...would probably get the same results.