why am i gaining weight?

Options
i've been working my butt off and eating pretty clean for a while now, why did i gain almost 5lbs? is it muscle density or fat?

i work out 6 days a week, 5 days are weight training with a mixture of HIIT cardio, steady cardio, kickboxing, cycle and plyometrics. my cardio is always an hour and im dripping when i leave the gym, weight training takes anywhere between 45-60mins. the 6th day is straight plyo and hiit.
i did add a whey isolate protein shake with skim milk into my diet the past month. but i noticed my abs are disapearing....why? i do abs 3x a week and treat it like any other muscle group.
diet
meal 1- 1cup fiber one cereal skim milk
meal 2-protein shake with skim milk 1/2 bagel with reduced fat c/c (this is right after my workout)
meal 3- chicken and brown rice and apple
or turkey on a salad with ceasar dressing (very small salad) and apple
meal 4- protein or granola bar
meal 5- some type of clean protein usually chicken, veggies, and a complex carb
meal 6- 1cup strawberries with i packet splenda

and water water water allll day long. even switched cream n sugar in my coffees to skim n splenda..
help appreciated thank you!
Stacey

Replies

• curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What are your net calories? Are you eating back your exercise calories? What is your activity level set to on your fitness profile?
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you taking in? also have you done your measurements?

1. You could have gained muscle mass and this could be creating the extra weight esp if you have added protein to your diet to assist w/muscle building. Your measurements would either not change or possibly go down.

2. Or you could not be eating enough to support your vigourous workout routine and your body may be going into starvation mode and holding on to everything it can......if this is the case you could try bumping your caloric intake up by like 200 calories or so and see what happens.

Just some ideas.......
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    honestly, if you're doing that much working out you aren't eating enough...
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    open up your food diary so we can get a better idea.

You may not be consuming enough calories, and from what you posted you probably need a few more fresh fruits and vegies.

Just a thought.
  • lowellheddings
    lowellheddings Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight isn't the greatest way to judge how well you are doing. With that much working out, you're probably building muscle, which is heavy. Measurements would be more accurate.

Also, once you get to a certain point, it's really more about what you look like than the number on the scale.
  • chatdude
    Options
    hmmm you dont look overweight at all? Well maybe you are just gaining muscles ?