Help! I'm feeling very discouraged.

Options
Hi, so I recently weighed myself and since starting MFP, I've lost 12lbs. But I haven't been able to notice it at all. I'm still wearing the same pant size, same shirt size and if anything my face has gotten chubbier. When I realized all that I lost all motivation. Why can't I tell I'm losing weight?
When did you start noticing?

Replies

• bethanylaugh
    Options
    Don't worry about it! you've probably lost it in your arms and waist - do you measure yourself at all other than weight? and no matter what, your BMI has probably gone down which is awesome news, right? :-)
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements when you started? Or a "before" picture? I was really having trouble noticing any difference in myself as well until I had someone take a full body picture of me and compared to a picture taken when I started. I can see the difference when I put them side by side but my weight loss has been so gradual that I haven't really been able to tell, otherwise. People keep encouraging me to go shopping and see what size fits now, but I hate shopping so haven't done it yet. Don't get discouraged! I'm sure others are noticing a difference. Check your measurements, take some pictures or go try on clothes!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 60 pounds and gone down about 3-4 sizes.

It seems like I need new clothes about every 20 pounds or so, thus far. My bottom half & back have thinned out more quickly than my tummy and face because most of the cardio work I do is spinning and stair climbing. My shoulders and tummy have trimmed down a lot more after I increased the number of pilates/yoga workouts I do each week.

It didn't seem like other people really started noticing the weight loss until recently, which is OK because it can be a bit uncomfortable to talk about!
  • donnacowboysfan
    Options
    12 pounds is a big deal! don't get discouraged....you may not be able to tell it yet...you see yourself everyday!
    I've lost 90lbs since I started my journey Jan 2008.....and I still don't see it! lol I know I wear a different size....and I know I look a little different...but I still see the fat girl in the mirror. Stay on track....stay positive....and stay motivated. It will be worth it!
    Take your measurements.....there are times the scales say I haven't lost anything....but the measuring tape tells a different story!
    Best of luck to you!
  • gary8964
    Options
    The scale shows that you've lost weight. Try not to sweat the whole appearance thing, the body DOESN'T lose weight in spots, but rather over the whole body. My advice is embrace the fact that you're down 12 lbs. and use it as motivation to get to where you want to be. Oh, and Congrats !
  • Happy_Taco
    Happy_Taco Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't stop doing what you are doing! It takes a long time to notice a difference in yourself. Sometimes even if it's there you still won't notice it. Congrats on the 12 lbs. A few suggestions that may help:
    Take a pic every 2 weeks - when you put them side by side after a few months you can notice it
    You gotta like what you are doing - change up the workout routine or try a new recipe or a new playlist - if you are getting bored you may want to stop.
    Check out other people's blogs - they all hit plateaus or don't notice and it always helped me to see that other people are in the same struggle.

Keep it up!!!!
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have notice a slight difference in my clothes. people tell me they notice a diffence, but personally i do not, but i am loose weight that is all that matters. my freinds on mfp are keeping me encouraged and focused.
  • kayleighbuck2
    Options
    Thanks! That makes me feel a little better about myself. I'm going to start taking pictures and see if that helps. Good luck to all of you:)