Question about Cardio...

Options
So I work out 5-7 days a week, and I really want to lean out and drop 20lbs. I'm also doing strength training, so here's my question -

If I work out 6 days a week, how many days should be hardcore cardio (eg. 30-45 minute treadmill, 45-60 min elliptical, etc)? At the moment, I do 3 days a week of hardcore cardio, but if I want to drop 20lbs by February, am I correct in assuming I should be doing more than that?

I break up my strength workouts into 2 different arm groups/days: biceps, triceps and back and shoulders, and then legs are their own day altogether and I don't do cardio on leg days (obvious reasons, lol).

HELP ME, OH KNOWLEDGABLE ONES!

Replies

• mcovillion
    Options
    i'm not an exercise expert, but i know to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in, so it would sense that if you did harder workouts you'd lose weight faster. right?
  • mrskellyray
    Options
    Jillian micheals has the right idea in getting hardcore strength and cardio is one hardcore work out!

Have you looked into her dvds? :) they're great!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Jillian micheals has the right idea in getting hardcore strength and cardio is one hardcore work out!

Aww damn. I was hoping to avoid her, lol. I guess it was only a matter of time...
  • DerryM
    Options
    I am on the same workout routine as far as strength/weight training broken up just like you.
    I workout 5-7 days a week.
    I do cardio everyday. I break it up, I will do arc trainer one day, elliptical trainer another, bike, treadmill.
    I change it up with arc or elliptical for 45-60 minutes, then bike 20 minutes combine with either arc or elliptical, then treadmill 20 minutes combined with either arc or elliptical.
    I burn more calories with arc and elliptical, so I concentrate more on them, sometimes going 20-30 minutes a piece.

I have lost 10 lbs so far at the rate of about 1-2 lbs a week. With strength training my arms and legs lost fat first, once toned the weight started dropping and my belly has shrunk 4 inches so far and never felt better.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Jillian (like me) try the Biggest Loser series. I have Cardio Max which features Bob Harper on level one. Although Jillian does level three of that DVD, she's still more bearable than she is in the 30 Day Shred. Additionally, with my HRM, I've found that I burn more calories with Cardio Max than I do with any of Jillian's videos.

I found mine for five or six dollars on Amazon... so worth it!
  • mrskellyray
    Options

Aww damn. I was hoping to avoid her, lol. I guess it was only a matter of time...

haha i know! I have a love/hate relationship with her! But we can't deny the kind of results she gives. It's amazing. Just look up any before and after of her dvds and you'll be hooked!
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would do cardio at least 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes. Definitely keep up the strength training too, more muscle means the more calories you burn. Just make sure you're recommended calorie intake and you should be fine. Keep it up!