Healthy Weight?

Options
What's considered a healthy goal weight for someone who's 5'3"? I'm aiming for 135 but I remembered weighing 120 years back.

Replies

• lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    if you go to tools you can look at your BMI, this should give you a rough idea :smile:
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    124 is apparently your 'ideal' weight at 5'3", as that gives you a BMI of 22. This is definitely not set in stone however, as BMI isn't a completely accurate scale to use, and anywhere from 20 - 25 is the 'healthy' range. (To get to my 'ideal' BMI I'd have to reach 117lb, which would probably kill me! Not to mention how malnourished I'd probably look)

I'd say that 135 would be absolutely fine! Still well within the healthy range, and you have to make sure you aim for a weight that suits your build and that you'll be able to maintain happily and healthily!

Good luck with everything, feel free to add my :)
  • 124 is apparently your 'ideal' weight at 5'3", as that gives you a BMI of 22. This is definitely not set in stone however, as BMI isn't a completely accurate scale to use, and anywhere from 20 - 25 is the 'healthy' range. (To get to my 'ideal' BMI I'd have to reach 117lb, which would probably kill me! Not to mention how malnourished I'd probably look)

I'd say that 135 would be absolutely fine! Still well within the healthy range, and you have to make sure you aim for a weight that suits your build and that you'll be able to maintain happily and healthily!

Good luck with everything, feel free to add my :)

The online calculators aren't very accurate, I agree. Usually, your gym will have an actual scale that you stand on that sends electical pulses through your body (don't worry you don't feel anything). The pulses travel faster through muscle and slower through fat. I would try that for a more accurate depiction of what is "healthy" for 5'3''.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3 and think 130 - 135 weigh is fine! As long as you know that you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I also remember back in the younger years when I weighed 135 and wished I weighed 100 lbs, now I am thinking that is not good. I am now 165 and way overweight & that is my goal for the next 3 months to weigh about 130 - 135...
  • loswa4
    loswa4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    You can always make adjustments when you reach a certain goal and decide whether you are happy there. When I first lost the weight, I had set a goal, and I changed it as I got close to that number.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you click on 'tools' and then 'BMI' at the top, you can see where you are right now and then it also shows you a basic range of healthy weight for your height. It's a pretty big range (the range for 5'4" is anywhere from 107-146 so the range for 5'3" would be just a bit below that) so there's lots of wiggle room in there to find the right spot for your frame size. :-)