How important is eating fat?

Options
I keep reading that we should eat 20-40% of our calories from good fat sources. I typically consume neglible amounts. Can this be contributing to my months long plateau? I am having a hard time increasing it, since I really don't like nuts (though I have tried repeatedly to develop a taste for them). I am trying to work in olive oil and peanut butter but that only takes me so far %-wise. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

My question is really more about the fats than the plateau, but for what it's worth I have tried increasing calories, increasing cardio, incorporating strength training, etc. I eat really clean and consume loads of fiber, veggies and lean meats every day. Also a fish oil supplement is part of my daily regimen. Not much more "bad" to cut out, so I am looking now at the mix of macros, etc.

So...tell me about fats...

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your body needs healthy fat to function. It's good for your brain, skin, nails and hair. We need fat in our diets, there's nothing wrong with healthy fat in moderate amounts. It's easy to add olive or canola oil to nearly anything you cook. Sometimes I'll put canola oil in my smoothies because it has almost no taste and isn't as off putting to me as olive oil is.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    avocado is a good source of fat
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Purple said it exactly, we need fat to function.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Do you like avacados? I do! Guacamole, mole, mole! I bet you eat enough fats and don't even know it. What about seeds? Try cooking with Coconut oil. I cook my morning eggs with it. And yes, always the olive oil. What about fish? Fish is awsome; SALMON.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    fat is essential. good for hair, nails, digestive system to name a few thing that fat is important for.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I keep my fat intake at 30% of my intake, with 40% protein and 30% carbs. I used to keep my fat intake low, under 15 %, and found that I eventually hit a plateau, which might have had something to do with the fact that my carb intake was through the roof. I would attempt the 30 %, or at least 20 % fat intake, turning to sources like olive oil, flaxseed, peanut butter, and avocado for healthy fats, as well as fatty fish like salmon. Good luck breaking out of the plateau; you'll get there, don't get discouraged :)
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Salmon! Ever had a Salmon burger? Great healthy fat.... I live in Alsaka though and have PLENTY of the stuff... Also Avacados are a healthy source, and nuts, sprinkle some on a salad.
  • gettingthere120
    gettingthere120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fats also keep you satiated for longer! I always skip the fat-free yogurt and go for greek yogurt made with 2% or whole milk :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pardon me if this was mentioned. I skimmed and didn't see it.

There are specific, vital nutrients and vitamins that are fat soluble and the body cannot absorb them without fat in the diet.

It may not be important to weight loss, but you're going to get pretty sick without it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Your body needs healthy fat to function. It's good for your brain, skin, nails and hair. We need fat in our diets, there's nothing wrong with healthy fat in moderate amounts.

This! Fat is essential. I used to have hardly any when I first started, probably around 20g. I wasn't purposely trying to get that low, that's just how it turned out.
    I can't say I had any specific problems that I could say were attributed to low fat, but I haven't had any problems now that it is raised either :)

I now have 35% from fat, which is 109g on the calories that I'm on at the moment (2800)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Olives. Tuna Fish. Peanut Butter. Avocado. Olive oil (cook with it, or make oil and vinegar salad dressings) Add seeds to your salads or sandwiches (sunflower, sesame, flaxseed, pumpkin seed)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fat except diary products and I'm severely allergic to nuts so can't add them or anything that contains nuts (ie the coconut oil)

I have semi-skimmed milk with cereals and tea and have cheese a few times a week usually Wensleydale or babybels & I like yoghurts. (strong cheese gives me migraines).. is this enough? .. would fat (milk) in chocolate count? .. or from potato crisps?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How do you manage to eat negligible fat? Most foods seem to have a ton of it, unless you eat only raw vegetables. I am a vegetarian, and don't eat junk food, semi skimmed milk, fat free yoghurt etc, and yet my diet still manages to be 30-40% fat by calories (so about 10-12% fat in volume terms).

Anyway, I think fat is important. Vitamins are fat soluble, so you won't be getting them if you have literally no fat in your diet. You also need omega oils for brain function.
  • emily2975
    emily2975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also find that using regular dressing on salads can give you some of your daily fat quota, instead of the 'fat free' or 'calorie reduced' that most dieters tend to use. I don't think the amount of fat your body needs is that much - eating peanut butter in the morning or a few Tablespoons of 'full fat' dip with raw veggies should be enough to keep things going! You can also buy ground flax seeds that add a slightly nutty flavour to smoothies as well as tons of Omega 3 fatty acids.

This might offer some input/advice!

http://www.naturalnews.com/001545.html
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fat except diary products and I'm severely allergic to nuts so can't add them or anything that contains nuts (ie the coconut oil)

I have semi-skimmed milk with cereals and tea and have cheese a few times a week usually Wensleydale or babybels & I like yoghurts. (strong cheese gives me migraines).. is this enough? .. would fat (milk) in chocolate count? .. or from potato crisps?

Any fat counts as far as absorbing nutrients. But like carbs, there are good fats and not-so-good fats. On Weight Watchers, one of the Good Health Guidelines was to add two teaspoons of healthy oil (flax, canola, olive and a couple others were on the list) to your day. Someone mentioned adding canola (or flax, too) to smoothies, you can cook with it, add it to yogurt, cereal, you name it. Flax and canola are pretty tasteless.

There's also a great bit of research that adding those healthy fats helps burn visceral fat.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There's basically 3 broad groups of fats you should keep an eye on. Poly and mono unsaturated fats, saturated fats and trans fats. Poly and mono are good fats, saturated fats are not so good, trans fats should be avoided completely if possible.

The unconditionally essential fatty acids for humans are Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. These are the only 2 types of fatty acid that your body can't produce itself and therefore you need to take them in (similar to the 9 essential amino acids in protein).

40% fats seems high. As a general recommendation I'd say take no more than a 3rd of your calories from fats and no more than a 3rd of your fats from saturated sources. Personally I go for 20% fats with no more than a 3rd of those being saturated.

Jay
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    If you need to increase your supplemental oil, consider this one:
    http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm

or flax seed. I personally have a hard time with fish oil capsules and my body is able to convert the plant sources easily. I buy golden flax seed and grind it in a coffee grinder (single use - don't also use for coffee!) and add it to my morning smoothie. I have also sprinkled it on cereal or yogurt or even just shook it up with water and drink. The golden flax has a nice mild nutty flavor and grinds up very well. Here is a source for excellent flax seed:
    http://www.goldenflax.com/home3.php

Here is an extensive list of foods high in omega 3s (the other EFAs are more common in our diet):
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000140000000000000000.html
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How do you manage to eat negligible fat? Most foods seem to have a ton of it, unless you eat only raw vegetables. I am a vegetarian, and don't eat junk food, semi skimmed milk, fat free yoghurt etc, and yet my diet still manages to be 30-40% fat by calories (so about 10-12% fat in volume terms).

Anyway, I think fat is important. Vitamins are fat soluble, so you won't be getting them if you have literally no fat in your diet. You also need omega oils for brain function.
    I would consider my food lineup to be pretty good. I have been eating the same foods pretty much since February when I started this thing. Dropped 100 pounds, more or less, and my overall health is fantastic. The doctor loves the blood work and I have stopped virtually all meds. No issues with health, brain functions, skin, hair, etc.

To answer your question, I eat loads of veggies, both as salads and as stir fry. My primary meats are lean chicken and lean ground turkey. My "indulgence" is pretzels. Fiber cereal with skim milk. Fruit daily (apple, orange, banana - usually not all 3). No prepared foods, nothing in a box or a can (except tuna). Never anything fried, never any fast food and I never eat out. Nothing with sauces or gravies. Recently introduced PBJ sandwiches. Hardly any dairy except my skim milk with my cereal. Never sodas or anything like that. Only water and unsweetened tea. I actually eat pretty well, lots of food and I really enjoy what I eat. I never feel denied in any way.

Feel free to take a look at my diary, but I would go back to before Nov 1, since I have been on vacation or traveling most of the month and my logging in November has been hit and miss. Prior to that I have been extrememely accurate for about 9 months.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    everything you want to know about fat

FATS

FAT CELLS
    • you are born with 5-6 billion fat cells and increases through childhood to about 25-35 billion fat cells.

• Genetics can play a role in the number of fat cells.

• They can increase in numbers due to pregnancy and during adulthood when extreme amounts of weight are gained.

YOU CAN NOT LOSE FAT CELLS, YOU CAN ONLY SHRINK THEM

Body fat is a reserve source of energy and will expand and shrink based on how you fill it.

Carbohydrates = stored energy

DIETARY FATS
    What are fats?
    Fats (or more correctly, fatty acids) are an essential part of the diet. Contrary to much of what we seem to hear, they are not confined to meat and animal products, but are also present in virtually all seeds, nuts and many plants themselves - think of olive oil for an example.
    The way in which we refer to fats often belies their true functions - cholesterol, for example is not only the essential ingredient for both male and female hormones, it also has important healing functions. Other fats, such as the essential fatty acids DHA and EPA are fundamental to brain and nerve function.
    Dietary fats are a concentrated sourceof food energy. They are also the source of linoleic acid, an essential nutrient, and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.
    They have a higher calorie per gram - ~9calories per gram (compared to ~4 calories per gram for Carbs and Protiens)
    HDL's : (High Density Lipoproteins) are called "good" because they move cholesterol away from artery walls and back to the liver.

LDL's : (Low Density Lipoproteins) are called "bad" because they keep cholesterol circulating in the blood, causing the arteries to become clogged with deposits.

Monounsaturated Fats

Monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) while increasing HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Nuts including peanuts, walnuts, almonds and pistachios, avocado, canola, and olive oil are high in MUFAs. MUFAs have also been found to help in weight loss, particularly body fat.

Polyunsaturated Fats
    Polyunsaturated fats also lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. Seafood like salmon and fish oil, as well as corn, soy, safflower and sunflower oils are high in polyunsaturated fats. Omega 3 fatty acids belong to this group.
    Omega 3 fatty acids
    • All fish contain omega 3 fatty acids, but they are more concentrated in fatty fish such as mackerel, salmon, sardines and herring. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least 2 times a week.
    • Many commercial food products, such as bread and baked goods, yogurt and infant formula are now fortified with omega 3 fatty acids.
    • Other food sources of omega 3s include:
    o Soybeans and tofu
    o Some nuts and seeds like walnuts, flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds
    o Cooking oils such as flax seed oil, canola oil, and soybean oil
    o Some eggs, such as omega-3 enhanced eggs
    Omega 6 Fatty acids
    Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can’t make them -- you have to get them through food. Along with omega-3 fatty acids, omega-6 fatty acids play a crucial role in brain function as well as normal growth and development. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), they help stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and maintain the reproductive system.
    Omega 6 vs Omega 3
    • Best when they are in a balance of 2:1 – 4:1
    • Todays American/European Diet 14-25X more Omega 6 than Omega 3
    o High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFC)
    o Soy oils and derivatives
    o Meat fed with corn/soy (Omega 6) vs grass fed (Omega 3)

Saturated Fats
    Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products such as meat, dairy, eggs and seafood. Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats such as coconut oil, palm oil and palm kernel oil.
    • Whole Food Saturated Fats VS. Manufactured Polyunsaturated Fats
    Polyunsaturated vegetable oils are a 20th century creation. While polyunsaturated fats are not shelf-stable and need heavy refining, saturated fats are nearly impervious to oxidation and rancidity, owing to their high degree of saturation. They don't need to be refined and are rich sources of vitamins. It also means these are the proper fats for cooking, as poly- and monounsaturated fats tend to oxidize and spit free radicals throughout your body with application of heat and light.
    SATURATED NATURAL SOURCES are better than MANUFACTURED UNSATURATED SOURCES
    • Contains vitamins, antioxidants, and other phytonutrients important for good health
    • Coconut and Red Palm Oil (Virgin pressed)
    Trans Fats
    Trans fats are invented as scientists began to "hydrogenate" liquid oils so that they can withstand better in food production process and provide a better shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids are formed. Trans fatty acids are found in many commercially packaged foods, commercially fried food such as French Fries from some fast food chains, other packaged snacks such as microwaved popcorn as well as in vegetable shortening and hard stick margarine.
    Trans fats are straight molecule and not natural, curved ones leads to one of the simplest and most important deficiencies of trans fats - that the enzymes that control bodily function cannot bind to them and cell membranes made from them. This means that these cells malfunction and that vital body processes are interrupted, causing many serious, chronic and degnerative diseases.
    The current hysteria regarding cholesterol stems from research done during the 1940s and 1950s by the manufacturers of the new margarines and "healthy" hydrogenated fats. The suggestion was that cholesterol (specifically Low-Density-Lipopotrein, or LDL-cholesterol) was responsible for heart disease, which was even then beginning to increase, due to the relatively high-fat diet enjoyed by most westerners.
    This is not borne out by the facts.
    1. Western diets had always contained a relatively high proportion of red meat. this was not a new phenomenon.
    2. in 1978, Dr Mary Enig proved that cancer rates were directly related to consumption of vegetable oils (including hydrogenated fats) and total fat intake, but NOT related to animal fat consumption. This research is often ignored by the "cholesterol lobby", despite the fact that it has been confirmed by other researchers.
    3. Ischaemic heart disease (IHD) was virtually unknown until the 1940s, when hydrogenated fats were introduced.
    4. Little, if anything was done to examine the health effects of hydrogenated fats, which are entirely unknown in nature.
    5. Hydrogenated fats are literally "plastics", which do not have the same properties as natural fats.
    6. The dangers of trans fats were recognized as long ago as 1958, but the vegetable oil industry continues to bad-mouth safer, natural animal fats.
    Tips for choosing the best types of fat
    Limit fat in your diet, but don't try to cut it out completely. Focus on reducing foods high in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, and select more foods made with unsaturated fats. Consider these tips when making your choices:
    • Saute with olive oil instead of butter.
    • Use olive oil in salad dressings and marinades. Use canola oil when baking.
    • Sprinkle slivered nuts or sunflower seeds on salads instead of bacon bits.
    • Snack on a small handful of nuts rather than potato chips or processed crackers. Or try peanut butter or other nut-butter spreads — nonhydrogenated — on celery, bananas, or rice or popcorn cakes.
    • Add slices of avocado, rather than cheese, to your sandwich.
    • Prepare fish such as salmon and mackerel, which contain monounsaturated and omega-3 fats, instead of meat one or two times a week.
    Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats have few adverse effects on blood cholesterol levels, but you still need to consume all fats in moderation. Eating large amounts of any fat adds excess calories. Also make sure that fatty foods don't replace more nutritious options, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes or whole grains.

Mary G. Enig
    Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hey I noticed we live in the same town.... :)