Chalean Extreme

Options
MtnGirl
from Colorado
The first time I did this I didn't have all the different weights and thought it was a wimpy workout. I ordered the Bowflex adjustable weights and gave it another try - much better! It's so slow and low # of reps that you HAVE to use heavier weights and go her speed to get anything out of it. After I changed up the weight system and slowed down I really noticed results.

I pulled this review from the beach body website.
Any one here completed this work out? Is the statement above true?

Replies

• J_Lopez
    Options
    I have the program put never completed the 90days. I am definitely thinking of starting it up again. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • geminigirl1979
    geminigirl1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would say the statement is true. It also depends on what shape you are in when you start. After doing P90X, I am using anywhere from 10-25 pounds on all exercises. The girl doing the lighter weights in the video uses from 3-10 pounds I think. But if you have experience with weights at all, I think you'll want heavier ones.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, true. But you don’t necessarily need the Bowflex SelectTech weights. I use them, but a good set of resistance bands or other DBs would work fine. You just need to lift heavy enough and increase the weights as needed or you really won’t get much out of it.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would agree with that...=) I could not afford the bowflex...but got another set of adjustable weights that go from 5-25 pounds each....in the 3 months of the program I had to actually use an old set of weights so I had 30's because on some exercises the 25's were too light.....I definatly got a LOT stronger during that time....the heavy weight slow really keeps you in correct form too in my opinion....I had an instructor @ the gym comment on my form and I knew it was because of Chalene's great instruction...:) you can use bands too....but need varying resistance so you get to * failure*...if you use only one kind of band I don't think it would trully be effective because every exercise is a bit different on how much weight you personally need to reach * failure*.... really enjoyed the program! =)
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. She even says "Go Heavy or Go Home" in the program. You have to lift HEAVY for this program to be effective. If you go too light, you won't see any kind of results. I'm in the middle of a ChaLEAN Extreme/TurboFire hybrid, and my favorite days are the heavy lifting days!
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    I just did my 2nd day and can tell I'm definitely going to need heavier weights than I currently have~ still not sure I like it. I'm coming off completing P90X. It's just SO different! I'm going to stick with it and hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Angie
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You need at least 30 lbs dumbbell.